Are You Good?, I'm a victim of the comparison game
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 15 2023, 08:26 AM
GMC Founder
Here's a topic that I struggle more with whenever I'm more active on social media... the comparison game!

My common sense tells me it's useless to compare yourself with other guitarists - yet it's absolutely inevitable. I guess we guitarists are competitive by nature.

However I often find comfort in thinking that the guitarists I actually listen to (thanks to the great songs they are playing) - are not the impressive ones on Instagram, and that inspired me to record this video:

So next time you're tempted to downplay your skills, remember that killer bend you've got in your arsenal. You are better than you think ❤️👊

Original article

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 15 2023, 02:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
Great words Kris!!! smile.gif

Roosevelt said that "Comparison is the thief of joy", which is very true.
I never fell into this trap. Same as you I also find useless to compare myself with others guitarist. But...I always compare my today's playing with my yesterday's playing. wink.gif

There are a lot of young players who have a very impressive technique, but to be honest, they do not make me return to their channel to search for more videos. I already got bored listening just short pieces of crazy lines with no hope of hearing them incorporated into an original song.

What I find sad lately is the fact that there are cases when people learn crazy licks (I'm not just talking about guitarists, it's also valid for bass players, pianists, etc.) but when they are in a rehearsal room with other musicians, they are not able to play or keep a simple rhythm (playing a whole song it became already a too daring request biggrin.gif ). From my point of view, this it's very concerning.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 15 2023, 08:41 PM
GMC Founder
Good points Monica, I have also been very good at only comparing with my previous self. But it’s easy to fall in this trap..

The band scenario you mentioned can indeed be tricky, but as long people practice to some kind of steady pulse it should be curable. After all most people practice on their own before they are ready to join a band!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 16 2023, 05:58 PM
GMC:er
Good points and well made Kris!
I've never been into the 'Comparison Game' or the 'Who's better Competition', the simple fact is that we are all different and we all play differently. That is what makes this all so enjoyable is the sheer diversity of it all!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:35 PM