2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Personal Mentor Thread For Guitarz
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 21 2022, 07:47 AM
GMC Founder
Hi Guitarz - and welcome to your official mentoring thread 🤗

We have already had some previous discussions in this thread.

To start this off - it would be great if you could:

1 - list some of your favorite music

2 - Let me know what your musical end goals are - ie what are your goals/dreams on the guitar

3 - please share a video of your playing (I know you are already working on this)

I will then start working on a first assignment for you 😁

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
guitarz
Jun 22 2022, 03:57 AM
GMC:er
I listen to modern fusion, jazz, and some metal. My end goals are to be the best guitarist I can be. I am working hard at improving legato, trying to use music theory more in my playing, hybrid picking, improvisational soloing. I am good at alternate picking and string skipping. I am not very good at chord progressions and using music theory during playing chord progressions. My number one goal is always to play music that sounds like music and makes some musical sense. That not a very pin point explanation, but it is all I got. I guess my ultimate goal would be a WorldClass modern fusion guitarist at a professional level. Here are some of my favorite guitarist John Petrucci, joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Frank Zappa, Frank Gamble, Pat Metheny, Steve Morse, Robin Ford, Allan Holdsworth, and so many others. I am currently work on a solo by Brett Garsed and Greg Howe, these solos are way beyond my ability to play them at full speed, but I like a good challenge. I push myself hard and stive for the best. I am a no bull kind of guy and can take criticism very well, so do not hold back on me, be truthful. I am very lite hearted and like good laugh. I am a live and let live person, try not to judge people. I am not sure where I am to embed my youtube videos, is it here, in this reply area ? I am not very tech savvy. I will put out some more videos of my playing. Thank you for all your hard work

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 22 2022, 08:38 PM
GMC Founder
Thank you very much for the description - I have a very clear picture now of where you want to go.

These are some of my top favorite guitarists as well 👊😍

Also, a majority of these guitarists rely on improvisation - so a cool starting point could be to work on a bluesy jam which we'll gradually add more and more fusion to. (While we also work on your technique and improv strategies).

QUOTE (guitarz @ Jun 22 2022, 04:57 AM) *
I am not sure where I am to embed my youtube videos, is it here, in this reply area ? I am not very tech savvy. I will put out some more videos of my playing. Thank you for all your hard work

Yes you can paste the youtube code here in your reply area. If it's easier for you can just remind me of your channel name and I will be able to find your new video when it's up 🤗

--------------------

+Quote Post
guitarz
Jun 22 2022, 11:35 PM
Thank you for the Mentoring and making a lesson plan. My youtube channel is Guitarzwailn, Guitarzwailn was a nick name given to me 35 years ago, I never used my stage name ( Guitarz wail'n ) until just few weeks ago, when I was trying to figure out a name for my youtube channel. I will work hard on your lesson plan and the content will take some time to work through. I know my goals are lofty and will be hard to obtain. My musical Montra is " it is the journey, not the destination" Peace

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 23 2022, 12:14 AM
Well said! It's about the Journey.

I'll embed one of your recent videos here. Give this a shot as well when you can. Embedding videos is an important part of the process. It's the main way we can see you play and help you make progress.

QUOTE (guitarz @ Jun 22 2022, 06:35 PM) *
Thank you for the Mentoring and making a lesson plan. My youtube channel is Guitarzwailn, Guitarzwailn was a nick name given to me 35 years ago, I never used my stage name ( Guitarz wail'n ) until just few weeks ago, when I was trying to figure out a name for my youtube channel. I will work hard on your lesson plan and the content will take some time to work through. I know my goals are lofty and will be hard to obtain. My musical Montra is " it is the journey, not the destination" Peace

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 23 2022, 08:32 AM
GMC Founder
Very nice mate, thanks a lot for recording this video!

I have already identified strengths and weaknesses in your playing - so this recording will be crucial as we move forward.

Strengths:
You have started working on a wide palette of techniques and licks. This is awesome as it will really define the width of your vocabulary as you jam.

I can also see clear evidence of understanding for dynamics - which is absolutely essential for tone and expression.

Weaknesses:
A downside with your versatile technique is that the overall vibe of your playing conveys a lack of hand sync - you do not quite nail these techniques yet.

It seems you might have spent some practicing time playing too fast - which can lead to consolidation of bad habits.

----

Our #1 priority now should be to make sure you are able to tell when a lick/run is played with control and proper hand sync. This way we can make sure that you (from now on) only practice within [and most importantly below] your comfort speed.

So what I would like to ask from you now - is to record a new video. This time around I want to ask you to restrict yourself to only using licks / techniques which you know you master to 99%. If that requires you to slow down that is also fine (thats kinda the purpose 😎)

I am very excited abotu this - as I see huge potential in your playing! 😁

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 26 2022, 09:17 AM
GMC Founder

I embedded a video for your review. Lots of mistakes. Thank you for your help

Very nice! Some great moments here -

Your hand control in the first Garsed piece felt quite confident - and so were the bends in the Howe solo.

Also the groove in the end jam was very promising.

In the Petrucci piece there seems to be quite a bit of hand sync issues, so here I would try to slow down practice to make sure you are not repeating the hand sync issues over and over in your practicing (and thereby consolidating them into your technique).

One problem with this kind of play-through which does not feature a backing - is that we cannot hear how your playing interacts with the groove/pulse. This is arguably a necessity for you to convey musicality in your playing.

The exception is obviously that jam at the end where you provided the groove through your own rhythm playing 🤩

-------

So my next assignment to you, would be for you to record yourself over a backing track. It can either be playing pre-written solo - or if you want to jam.

You can grab any backing track at GMC for this purpose if you wish!

My strategy right now is still to assess your level, before we can decide on a more long term goal and start working towards it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
guitarz
Jun 28 2022, 10:48 PM
I agree on your strategy. I have hand synchronization issues. I worked as a carpenter for 45 years and now work in a factory. My hands get worked hard for 10 hours a day. I try to stretch my hand throughout the day, but by the time I get home my hands, fingers, and wrists are stiff. I could use some musical exercises ( not scales) and other stretching techniques. I did not use backing tracks because I cannot play those riffs at the tempo (speed) they are written in. I will look around for some backing tracks with slower tempos. yes I know these days you can slow the speed of the tracks down, but I do not know how to download tracks and slow down the tempo. Thank you for all your advice, Peace

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 29 2022, 05:04 AM
You can find backing tracks on youtube of every speed/key/type. Here is a slow blues backing in A. You don't have to download it, just shoot web cam/phone cam of you playing along to id. Then upload that video to youtube smile.gif

As for hand synch, most of bootcamp is hand synch drills. You don't have to make videos out of them , you can just pick some of them to try and see if they help. I'd start at Mission 1 and just try a few smile.gif I'd be happy to answer any questions.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

Todd

QUOTE (guitarz @ Jun 28 2022, 05:48 PM) *
I agree on your strategy. I have hand synchronization issues. I worked as a carpenter for 45 years and now work in a factory. My hands get worked hard for 10 hours a day. I try to stretch my hand throughout the day, but by the time I get home my hands, fingers, and wrists are stiff. I could use some musical exercises ( not scales) and other stretching techniques. I did not use backing tracks because I cannot play those riffs at the tempo (speed) they are written in. I will look around for some backing tracks with slower tempos. yes I know these days you can slow the speed of the tracks down, but I do not know how to download tracks and slow down the tempo. Thank you for all your advice, Peace

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 29 2022, 02:38 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (guitarz @ Jun 28 2022, 11:48 PM) *

Awesome!

Here is a cool slow backing track:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Billy-Gibbons-Style/

You can find many more in our archive ( I searched for slow here) :
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search/slow/

Great feedback by Todd as well, and in his bootcamp you have opportunity to hone in on speed building, hand sync etc

--------------------

+Quote Post
guitarz
Jun 30 2022, 12:13 AM
I know I have a long road ahead of me. Making videos for you all has really opened my eyes. Thank you all for the support. I will take your advice and work hard. I will jam to some backing tracks for fun and make a video so you can see more of my playing. I am little worried about copyrights issues of jam tracks, It can be a big issue here in the USA, but I assume if the jam tracks are on youtube copyrights are not an issue. Peace

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 30 2022, 09:59 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (guitarz @ Jun 30 2022, 01:13 AM) *
Making videos for you all has really opened my eyes.

Yes actually most of the work is done by students / mentorees. Because when you feel pressure to deliver/record something, you start focusing (and thereby progressing!) on a whole new level.

Remember we all have a long road ahead of us, because the journey is never ending!

I think your playing is very exciting and promising - and I feel you will take it to a new level by playing over backings.

Using backings from "backing tracks" channels on youtube is usually never a problem if you just want to record a jam over it. Crediting the channel is of course good practice.

And if you use GMC backings you can be 100% sure we will approve 😁

--------------------

+Quote Post
guitarz
Jul 5 2022, 08:41 PM
Thanks again for the encouragement and advice. I am working on an Andy Timmons song "Ascension" this song is at good tempo for me. Please feel free to send lessons or messages at any time you wish. I cannot find the lessons that you sent me; I still struggle at trying to navigate around this website. Like how do I get directly to my personal mentor thread? For now, I have to go through the forum page, scroll down to guitarz, then go to personal mentor thread, to find my away. Peace

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 6 2022, 12:32 PM
GMC Founder
Awesome, I absolutely love Andy's playing!

The easiest option is probably to bookmark this thread/page in your browser.

You can also find it via my instructor profile (click "Personal Board"):
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Kristofer-Dahl/

Or you can browse through the forum structure to find my board (and then your mentor thread) - see attached image:
Attached Image

I am still assessing your level and before I can really start designing a plan I would like to hear you play over backing track. If this is giving you major issues - then you could hone in on timing exercises:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonser...eginner-Rhythm/

...so that you are able to tap your foot with the beat/pulse regardless of what beat sub-divisions you are playing.

Another option is to learn an easy solo (much easier than the ones you have been working on so far) - so that you are able to fully concentrate on tapping your foot.

Here is an example of a solo lesson with Andy vibes:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginner-Soloing-1/

Again, when I have heard you play over a backing it will be much easier for me to give you better lesson recommendations / advice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
guitarz
Jul 6 2022, 11:40 PM
I have no problem with playing to backing tracks and will do so in the next few days. Thanks, Peace

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 7 2022, 11:16 AM
GMC Founder
Excellent , I am looking forward to it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
guitarz
Jul 15 2022, 08:16 PM
https://youtu.be/Cc9Pp1iLdeg

I just send the video promised you of my playing with a backing track. There is more to come when I can get to it. Thanks again for all the support, Also I checked out your Jam School, way to go !!!!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 16 2022, 05:54 PM
GMC Founder
A big...

Ringing...

YEAH!!!!!!!!

You rock man. Hearing you over a backing track is a total game changer - your musicality shines through on a whole different level here.

We are def ready to proceed now as I have a very clear picture of your playing and level.

I would like to ask you more specifically to list your top 3 goals in order of priority - so I can start designing a more specific strategy for you.

Thanks again for granting my request for a backing track 👊😎

Also - glad you discovered my Jam School - seeing how you have already come a long way, that course should be very useful to you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
guitarz
Jul 17 2022, 06:09 PM
All goals listed below I want to be in the jazz, rock, world music Fusion genre as much as possible. I understand there is 12 notes, plus sharps & flats in music theory, theory does not have a genre. My main goals are to be more proficient and knowledgeable with music theory. Song writing, composition, and arrangement skills. To be more fluid, graceful, and technical proficiency on the fretboard. I feel this is a good start. I will be putting out another video of my playing soon. Here is some of fusion guitarist I like. Alex Machacek, Richard Hallebeek, Brett Garsed, Alex Sills, Alex Skolnick, Guthie Govan, Alessandro Benvenuti, Matteo Mancuso, Dallton Santos, Hugh Ferguson, all big time fusion guitarist, and so many more. Thank you for all your help and support, Peace

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 18 2022, 09:02 PM
GMC Founder
Thanks mate,

Since your goal is to improve your general musicality - especially in regards fusion/improvisation - I think the best thing we can do is to start with the 'low hanging fruit'.

So based on your improv - I would like to first address your vibrato.

There are two things you can do to boost your vibrato skills:

1 - let the note ring a little bit before you add any vibrato, so we first get to hear the pitch.

2 - use a wider vibrato motion. This is typically done by using more arm muscle, I explain it from 01:40 here:

I do mention "metal" in this video but this technical advice is equally relevant for fusion.

I can also strongly recommend these lessons by Ben which give you a killer vibrato foundation for any possible situation you will encounter:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonser...ibrato-Odyssey/

I suggest you practice this for 3-7 days - and then record a new video (you can use the same backing if you wish)!

Improving vibrato is of course a lifelong journey - but I am giving you this timeframe in order to help you with the 'coaching' aspect of learning as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:15 PM