Advance Pod Hd500 Settings
Azzaboi
Jan 31 2014, 10:51 PM
GMC:er
Advance Pod HD500 settings

Anyone using the Pod HD500, specially if in combo with the DT50 amp and/or Variax?

I believe my current global settings might be messed up, after updating to the dream rig and flash updating everything, I played around with the settings and while it sounds good I'm getting a lot of background hum/fuzz out of most of the tones (which have been previously setup for a different guitar).

I've found this when purchasing the Variax guitar recently and attempted it at one stage:
http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/...=0&tstart=0

However, pretty confused about it all and I'm lost at what these should be set as... now I believe it's a mess.

If anyone is able to look over my settings or tell me their best settings, that would be much appreciated. Or maybe it's just a bad flash update or something I need to fix?

My Line 6 Dream Rig setup

Line 6 DT50 Amp

< ~5 meters Midi 'RockCable by Warwick' cable (2nd hand, I don't know if this might be causing noise issues) >

Pod HD500 Effects

< Either short 1 meter RJ-45 Variax cable or 3 meter 'Planet Waves' Custom Series 1/4" cable - these don't seem to create any noise but wish the Variax cable that came with the guitar was longer and less flimsy >

Line 6 Variax JTV-89F Guitar

or

ESP M-II (with EMG-JH Active pickups)

Pod HD500 Switches

Guitar In = Normal
XLR = Ground
1/4" Out = Line
FX Return (at back) = Line

Pod HD500 Global Settings (press and hold VIEW)

1) ULTITIES

Flash FW = V2.20
USB FW = V0.00 (is this okay?)

FS Mode = ABCD
AMP Display = Momentary On
Looper FS Display = All Views
Trails = On

2) ULTITIES

LCD Contrast = 30
Tap Tempo LED = On
AC Freq = 60Hz

3) INPUTS

Input 1 Source = Guitar (I think this is wrong, but use both a guitar or variax guitar?)
Input 2 Source = Variax
Guitar In-Z = 1M
Inputs Setup = Preset

4) OUTPUTS

Mode = Studio/Direct

5) S/PDIF OUTPUT

S/PDIF Output = Match Outputs
Sample Rate = 44.1KHz
S/P Level = 0db

6) MIDI

Midi Channel = 1
Midi Out/Thru = Out
Tempo Stack = Preset
Tempo = 130.0BPM

7) VARIAX

Variax Control = Preset

8) VARIAX

Variax Tuning = N/A

9) LINE 6 LINK AUDIO

Amp 1 = Left/Right
Amp 2 = Left/Right
Amp 3 = Left
Amp 4 = Right

10) LINE 6 LINK CONTROL

Amp 1 = Amp A (Ch 1)
Amp 2 = Amp B (Ch 2)
Amp 3 = Midi (Ch 3)
Amp 4 = Midi (Ch 3)

Guitar connected or not doesn't affect the noise, but as soon as the amp is turned on (from standby) there's quite a bit of background hissing, which might vary a bit from tone to tone. For some tones it gets quite loud. I use the master volume control pulled out (so it halves the amp wattage and uses half digital / half tube - meant to allow for better tones at lower volumes). Noise gates don't affect the background hiss too much either?

EDIT: I have a feeling it's something to do with that crappy MIDI cable I'm using from AMP to Pod... as soon as I unplug that cable, hissing drop almost to nothing. Then I've just been messing with the settings due to that. If I directly run the standard 1/4" Planet Wave cable from AMP to Guitar, I don't have any hissing issues out of the AMP at all.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jan 31 2014, 11:19 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Feb 1 2014, 01:58 AM
GMC:er
What da deuce!

I just went to the Rock Shop and purchased a 1 meter Hosa AES/EBU cable to replace my 5 meters Midi 'RockCable by Warwick' cable in the L6 Link. Well umm everything kinda changed.

My preset banks have a few different names:

Best of HD
FX Heavy
Songs / Style
Bass / Aco / Voc (this is new)
L6Link <-> DT (this is also new but contains most of my fav tones which use to be listed in User 2)
User 1
User 2
User 3
(User 4 has been removed but was empty anyways)

Some of the tones sound a lot better, but there's still that background buzz on a few. Seems to of improved it, but not 100% yet.

I've noticed on the site:
http://line6.com/l6link/

"L6 LINK works with a standard XLR cable. Because the quality and manufacturing processes of XLR cables vary widely, we can’t guarantee the performance of any particular XLR cable. However, if you are looking for a cable to use with L6 LINK, we recommend the Classic Series Microphone Cable (25 ft.) from Planet Waves, which was among the best we tested."

I was originally going to get a short version of that XLR cable from Planet Waves, but was recommended AES/EBU cable instead for higher quality digital signal range. Does anyone know much about this and if it's worth swapping or not? Sounds better than what I was using, but will it kill the buzz if I get XLR instead or is it just the settings now?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:05 AM