Alternate Picking Problem!
bluesman92
Jul 5 2010, 12:16 AM
GMC:er
alternate picking is not three years .. .. I wonder if I could not figure out what the problem how much a day should work seamlessly

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 5 2010, 01:31 AM
Learning Roadie
Be sure to check this instructor out man. smile.gif He is helping us with alternate picking.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...p?showuser=8794

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...=0&p=473580

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 5 2010, 01:33 AM
Alternate picking is easier for me than downpicking and I use it all the time - much faster and a good thing to learn!

I suggest learning with one note and then practicing through scales, then up to licks. Don't overkill the same exercises over and over. A bit a day seems to work better. Start off slowly, speed up with the metronome for timing, then reach your peak slowly, then back off again. Never stop at your peak, it will become slopy and you fingers will learn it that way rather than controled.

Take it slowly at first, make sure the pick is at a 90 degree angle when you pick. If your've been picking downstokes a lot, you might notice this mistake of angling it up or down. Angle of the pick makes it easy one way but harder the other. Keep it straight (ceiling / floor 90 degrees). If you need more grip angle it slightly back (towards the bridge).

Use just the tip, really important to cut the string with the least amount of force. When picking slowly or downstrokes only, the pick has more time to bend and reshape back, alternate picking doesn't allow this, another common mistake. Get a thick pick and shape the tip. It flexes less, not as much surface area to affect and therefore much faster.

Another thing which helped me a lot was the position of the guitar and arm. Try sitting with the guitar on you left leg in the middle if that helps rather than the right side. Lock the arm to the top-side of the guitar body and play from the wrist (i don't recommend the fingers, it's slower for most).

If still having trouble, rather than floating the hand lock the thrid and/or pinkie to the base of the guitar, it might give more control. When I vibrato I do this and rock from those fingers to get extreme speed. However switching between strings becomes harder.

Good luck working out your issue.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 5 2010, 01:38 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jul 5 2010, 05:07 PM
Jazz Instructor
If you practice correctly, you need 2-3 hours of guitar playing(including practicing)daily averagely, not more. 0.5-1 hour of technique is enough.
If you play without clear goal, without good tempo, you can play 6 hours daily with no results.
3 things:

1. Practice slowly, pick solidly!
2. Use metronome!
3. Work constantly on some fast-tempo songs, challenge your self!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 5 2010, 11:15 PM
Instructor
I say 2-3 hours is a good number, but as Vasilije said, it's all about being patient, and staying on slow tempos to develop accuracy. On the other hand, you should constantly strive to become more faster, but first things first - accuracy.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Chowy Fernandez
Jul 6 2010, 12:14 AM
that´s rig ivan pacience and time, the same time every days helps you more than just one
day 2 hours another day 1 hour, take time in order to do that with discipline and it would work!!

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jul 8 2010, 07:45 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Here is what I have found out after analyzing, one of the problems that isn't really discussed often or never I guess.

1. You are only told AP is down up down up or up down up down. As simple as it seems it isn't.

2. There are at least 2 possible ways you will get locked with the picks, inside picking, outside picking. If you try 3 notes per string, you will easily find out what this means or you probably know this already. While outside picking might be easier, you will feel locked out when you land on inside picking continuously.

3. Here is my find, when you practice slow, you get it 100% but when you play it on tempo (if its faster), you will miss a note or two or you play sloppy. I found out that I was doing this all the time. Why? Because I am so used to downstroke or even upstroke at times and at slow speed, you play it in your convinience but when you play fast, you can't decide which stroke you will be using. It has to come automatically and continously from previous section. So, if you are doing it perfectly with down stroke but at tempo, that part actually starts in upstroke, then you are messed up. You will have to analyze that and practice accordingly. smile.gif

Hope my find helps some of you.

Cheers!!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jul 9 2010, 09:53 PM
Jazz Instructor
Now, everything depends how high do you want to go. If you want to be top player, let's say 3-5 hours daily.
I mean, none of us measure and you shouldn't think like... Ok, I played 2 hours 2 hours to go... You have to have goals, if not you'll play the same things, repeat same phrases and same licks...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:24 PM