Build Your Own Guitar...
Spock
Mar 29 2014, 01:09 PM
GMC:er
I almost decided to strip and refinish this cheap Jackson I got, and while investigating online how to do that, I found this awesome website.

So, this will be my next project, I want to design my own guitar - I did yesterday and found I could get one exactly the way I want it, including the hardware for $1,500.

Check it out, I have spent hours on this website in the last few days...

http://www.warmoth.com

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Palacios
Mar 29 2014, 02:38 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Spock @ Mar 29 2014, 05:09 AM) *
I almost decided to strip and refinish this cheap Jackson I got, and while investigating online how to do that, I found this awesome website.

So, this will be my next project, I want to design my own guitar - I did yesterday and found I could get one exactly the way I want it, including the hardware for $1,500.

Check it out, I have spent hours on this website in the last few days...

http://www.warmoth.com

I only know one guy who ever made his own guitar. It was a nylon string classical, and he didn't do half bad for his first attempt. He increased the thickness of the neck to make it more ergonomic; which actually made it a little more comfortable. Im curious how your guitar turns out. Post you playing it when you finish. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Spock
Mar 29 2014, 02:44 PM
Oh I will - at the same time, i don't have $1,500 laying around at the moment to do this - but when I get the "new guitar itch" this will be the next step.

I feel like all my spare cash needs to go into prepping for national disaster. I don't like the world scene at the moment and here in my pocket of paranoid humanity, we're concerned over an EMP blast taking out the power grid because of politicians on ego trips.

This post has been edited by Spock: Mar 29 2014, 03:13 PM

+Quote Post
Palacios
Mar 29 2014, 02:59 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Spock @ Mar 29 2014, 06:44 AM) *
Oh I will - at the same time, i don't have $1,500 laying around at the moment to do this - but when I get the "new guitar itch" this will be the next step.

I feel like all my spare cash needs to go into prepping for national disaster. I don't like the world seen at the moment and here in my pocket of paranoid humanity, we're concerned over an EMP blast taking out the power grid because of politicians on ego trips.

I'm actually in the electrical industry. The power grid is no joke. You need to be prepared for an outage at least a week. Keep in mind; all hell breaks loose after about a day of no power. Civilization literally breaks down. We saw that when the Northern States lost power for 3 days. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Mar 29 2014, 03:17 PM
QUOTE (Palacios @ Mar 29 2014, 09:59 AM) *
I'm actually in the electrical industry. The power grid is no joke. You need to be prepared for an outage at least a week. Keep in mind; all hell breaks loose after about a day of no power. Civilization literally breaks down. We saw that when the Northern States lost power for 3 days. smile.gif

Yes it does. No refrigerators. No cooled vaccines or medicines. Imagine the people dying in the nursing homes, they couldn't dig holes fast enough to put them in. It's a scary scenario - and if an EMP hit - it would take out everything not kept in a faraday cage - which is 99.99% of everything. But to us, the lights would go out - and we just wouldn't have any information for God knows how long. We'd wise up when people started coming to our doorstep looking to feed themselves.

But I digress. That is an awesome website to build your own guitar!

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 29 2014, 03:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Im doing the very same thing at the moment smile.gif Although Im not using as big a budget, hopefully begin painting the body next week.
Having a bit of delay with getting the neck, theres no way I can build a neck and there doesnt seem to be as many places to get a custom one in the UK but Im waiting on this one company to take my order so hopefully I'll get that soon.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Spock
Mar 29 2014, 03:55 PM
Awesome Bleez! Please give us a review. I've read many great reviews about Warmoth and feel confident in their quality. I can adjust myself to whatever I own, so I figured I would try to get the specs I want, and definitely get the look I want - and be happy with it.

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 29 2014, 04:07 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Spock @ Mar 29 2014, 02:55 PM) *
so I figured I would try to get the specs I want, and definitely get the look I want - and be happy with it.

that's pretty much the same thoughts I had smile.gif
So far I'll be using warmoth for a custom scratchplate but if I cant get the neck for a decent price in the UK, then I'll get that from warmoth as well. Ive heard a lot of good things about them.
Im a bit concerned about the setup, adjusting truss rods and such but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
Mar 29 2014, 04:12 PM
Indeed - I figured I would take it to a local luthier for assembly and adjustments. Figure $150 tops.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 29 2014, 09:59 PM
I've used Warmoth parts for quite a few builds over the years and will recommend them whole-heartedly!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Palacios
Mar 30 2014, 07:17 AM
Learning Roadie
There's a lot of good stuff on that site. They have quite a list of pre made guitars. It would be pretty neat to customize your own guitar.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 30 2014, 08:10 AM
Learning Roadie
Also be aware of

http://www.usacustomguitars.com/ Recommended for their customer service and quality, though they don't do the Fender headstock shape (theirs is slightly different)

http://www.musikraft.com/index.php

http://www.allparts.com/

And if you want a really good relic finish

http://mjtagedfinishes.com/

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Mar 30 2014, 08:11 AM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
tonyk
Mar 30 2014, 11:45 AM
I put together a Warmoth tele few years back.
Look up smbstressfest (warmoth strat build) on youtube.great series of videos showing exactly how to do everything.
Guys on Warmoth forum also helpful

And Bleez, these vids include how to setup guitar

This post has been edited by tonyk: Mar 30 2014, 11:47 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 30 2014, 04:09 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 30 2014, 12:10 AM) *
And if you want a really good relic finish

http://mjtagedfinishes.com/

I got a (lightly relic'd) neck and body from MJT. I already a lot of the hardware and a bridge pickup lying around from other projects. Neck and body was $675.00. The prices change on his site/ebay store all the time. I browsed for about 3 weeks until I found what I was looking for and wanted to pay. After I bought a neck pkup, some bridge pieces, electronics (wire, pots, caps, jack) and had it assembled and set up by a luthier it maybe cost me between $1000 or $1100 (?)
Attached Image
Attached Image

*I've since just changed out the neck pick up again.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 30 2014, 05:21 PM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 1 2014, 10:06 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 30 2014, 03:09 PM) *
I got a (lightly relic'd) neck and body from MJT. I already a lot of the hardware and a bridge pickup lying around from other projects. Neck and body was $675.00. The prices change on his site/ebay store all the time. I browsed for about 3 weeks until I found what I was looking for and wanted to pay. After I bought a neck pkup, some bridge pieces, electronics (wire, pots, caps, jack) and had it assembled and set up by a luthier it maybe cost me between $1000 or $1100 (?)
Attached Image
Attached Image

*I've since just changed out the neck pick up again.

Very nice!!! I like it a lot!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 3 2014, 11:44 AM
Instructor
Seems like everybody loves to have a self-made one wink.gif I didn't a guitar from the very beginning (raw wood) but I put a lot of work to rebuild my very first guitar smile.gif

When I bought it it was Dearmond M65C...:

Attached Image

Now it's my "Bloody Mary" from Metalocre Chops lessons smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 3 2014, 12:03 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (tonyk @ Mar 30 2014, 11:45 AM) *
And Bleez, these vids include how to setup guitar

Cool, I'll check those out. thanks smile.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 3 2014, 11:44 AM) *
Seems like everybody loves to have a self-made one wink.gif I didn't a guitar from the very beginning (raw wood) but I put a lot of work to rebuild my very first guitar smile.gif

When I bought it it was Dearmond M65C...:

Attached Image

Now it's my "Bloody Mary" from Metalocre Chops lessons smile.gif

wait.... your metalcore chops guitar used to be a Dearmond M65C ohmy.gif that's a very impressive transformation!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 3 2014, 02:26 PM
Instructor
That's what happens when You're a kid with not much cash and want to make a guitar from Your dreams tongue.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 3 2014, 03:56 PM
If you factor in labor (and mistakes laugh.gif ) it usually isn't much less money to build your own. Especially when the pickups that you just had lying around that you put in the new, homemade axe actually suck ... so now you need to buy another set of pick ups.
*These are all my personal foibles by the way.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 3 2014, 07:40 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 3 2014, 02:56 PM) *
*These are all my personal foibles by the way.

We've all been there!! (Well, those of us that have built our own have!!)
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:39 PM