Cleaning Those Hard To Reach Places
Spiderusalem
Oct 29 2007, 12:39 PM
GMC:er
Does anyone out there do anything about the dust under the strings between the pickups, and the dust on/around the floyd rose and the dust on the headpiece under the strings? It seems like the only thing my guitar likes to do more than sound awesome is to get dust where I cant clean it.

Also, my gosh durn polish cloth leaves cotton fibers everywhere, especially onto the strings when I wipe down my fretboard. Can anyone recommend a better polish cloth? And while we're at it, recommend me a polish? I'm using some generic Gibson pump polish right now.

Any advice will be rewarded in forum karma

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Oct 29 2007, 12:51 PM
Im one of those people that really like to take care of my guitar and keep it shined.I didnt used to be that way especially when i first started ,now a days i couldnt imagine putting a sticker on a nice guitar or anything like that.I just use a wash cloth to polish my guitar and a polish called ghs.It works very well also Fender puts out some good polish.

I think if your willing to spend alot of money on a guitar why not take care of it?It's payed off big for me especially when it came time i sold them and i got a very good amount back on them since i took good care of them

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Oct 29 2007, 01:36 PM
I totally agree with you. I think guitar care and cleaning is important. unless its a strat or tele. I think those look better when they are beat up.

I saw a strat Eric Clapton used on display at my local guitar center. It looked like it had been through world war 3. The metal hardware was worn and dirty like a gun used in the vietnam war. It was chipped all over, I mean he had to TRY to F*** it up to get some of those marks. There was this weird residue on the fretboard, between every fret. And on the headstock, there were burn marks on one of the corners. I dont remember Eric Clapton using pyro in his set. To call this guitar "used" is the understatement of the century. And yet, there was something very beautiful and truly epic about that piece. I believe he fought satan with this guitar, and it looks like Mr. Clapton won.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RobM
Oct 29 2007, 01:37 PM
QUOTE (Spiderusalem @ Oct 29 2007, 07:39 AM) *
Does anyone out there do anything about the dust under the strings between the pickups, and the dust on/around the floyd rose and the dust on the headpiece under the strings? It seems like the only thing my guitar likes to do more than sound awesome is to get dust where I cant clean it.

Also, my gosh durn polish cloth leaves cotton fibers everywhere, especially onto the strings when I wipe down my fretboard. Can anyone recommend a better polish cloth? And while we're at it, recommend me a polish? I'm using some generic Gibson pump polish right now.

Any advice will be rewarded in forum karma

To reach those hard to get at places I'm using a thin pencil with an old cotton sock wrapped around it. To apply the polish, string cleaner etc..(I use different sides) I use the other old cotton sock then I follow up with a polish cloth and then I buff using an old cotton hand towel that has been thru the laundry about 1000+ times(it's very soft).

For polish/cleaner I'm using a kit that Gibson came out with that has the polish, string cleaner and fretboard conditioner + a cotton polish rag together for about $12.00 dollars. Makes my Ibanez RG1570 play and shine like new.

To clean things like sweat spots or sticky area's where you arm touches the guitar I use good old warm water on the end of a sock. Use a lot of moisture to loosen the dirt then remove it. If you rush it you could end up scratching your guitar.

To get at the pick dust in between the pup's I just use canned air to blow it off after I play each time before I wipe my guitar down and put it away.

This post has been edited by RobM: Oct 29 2007, 01:38 PM

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Oct 29 2007, 01:40 PM
QUOTE (RobM @ Oct 29 2007, 05:37 AM) *
To get at the pick dust in between the pup's I just use canned air to blow it off after I play each time before I wipe my guitar down and put it away.

Like the ones used for keyboard? I was gonna ask about that. I'm a bit worried that it might do something to my finish?

--------------------

+Quote Post
dogman
Oct 30 2007, 12:02 AM
QUOTE (Spiderusalem @ Oct 29 2007, 08:40 AM) *
Like the ones used for keyboard? I was gonna ask about that. I'm a bit worried that it might do something to my finish?

I use the canned air all the time. even if you get it a little wet wipe it and good to go.

As far as the tough hard to get at places, I pay special attention to those spots every time I put on a fresh set of strings with cottn swabs/Qtips.

They work great for the nooks & crannys then blow it out with the canned air.....

Good to go and lookin' sharp cool.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 30 2007, 12:20 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Sometimes when I change strings I also oil the fret board and clean the frets. Once in a while I take the bridge a part and clean everything.

I don't care about dirty strings... I just try to avoid licking my fingers after I've played. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Oct 30 2007, 04:46 AM
you use tampons
(haha, no seriously, ever seen tv program Top Gear?)

+Quote Post
Animosity
Oct 30 2007, 04:53 AM
Go to your local computer store and buy one of those cans of compressed air. You know, the ones for cleaning your keyboard? I find that they work wonders on the dust that lays beneath my strings. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
lefty01
Oct 31 2007, 08:50 AM
Ernie Ball is now making cool polishing wipes, and a fretboard wipes. They come in a little container...they are basically like baby wipes, but they do a great job. I have both the fretboard cleaner, and the guitar polish. You just wipe in on the surface, it drys almost instantly. They cost next to nothing...you get like 25 in a pack. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Oct 31 2007, 09:03 AM
hehe then what about using baby wipes?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Understudy
Oct 31 2007, 10:18 AM
+1 on the Qtips for getting in the tight spots. My guitar is a natural wood with an oil finish , so I imagine it ia easier to maintain than the others. Once a month I use lemon oil on the entire guitar, wipe off the excess and I am done. I use windex on my Ibanez (body only) and every now and then I rub some car wax over it and then lightly buff it out with a 100 % cotton baby diaper. The diapers were purchased for this task and have not been encased in baby poo smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Oct 31 2007, 10:31 AM
Personally, I just use some cloth I got from Guitar Center for a buck or two, but I clean my guitar after every time I play it. To get underneath the strings, I push one end of the cloth through, and that way I have the cloth between the body and the strings. This is probably not the best way, but it works for me!

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Nov 3 2007, 04:10 AM
I just take out the trem once in a while, cleaning the fretboard, the pickup area and trem and oil the knife edges and the studs. I also use a planet waves polish thing on the surface of the guitar.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Nov 3 2007, 10:53 AM
QUOTE (Spiderusalem @ Oct 29 2007, 12:36 PM) *
I saw a strat Eric Clapton used on display at my local guitar center. It looked like it had been through world war 3. The metal hardware was worn and dirty like a gun used in the vietnam war. It was chipped all over, I mean

Part of the thing with old Strats is that the the nitrocellulose coating is thin and damages easily. The older Strats especially. David O'Toole plays a pretty banged-up Strat too.

You can get the nitro finish on modern ones too but it's expensive. People swear that they sound different.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 3 2007, 07:09 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Gibson still use nitrocellulose for the finish on the majority of their guitars. Nitrocellulose isn't supposed to affect the tone. it lets the wood breathe as its semi-porous and it 'ages' nicely. I think Fender still use it or their high end Custom Shops. I think I'm right in saying that Epiphones are not nitrocellulose finished.

Most mass production guitar makers use polyurethane or polyester. They're both harder wearing and cheaper then nitro (polyester being the cheaper of the two). Both are also supposed to seal the wood - they're not porous. Polyurethane finishes can be really good if applied reasonably thinly. Too thick and it's like dumping your guitar in liquid plastic - once it's set guess what you'll hear most. Polyester tends to be used a lot more on the 'cheaper' end as it's easier and faster to spray on.

Whilst poly finishes will retain their original colour etc better then nitro (nitro ages) poly finishes are much harder to repair if damaged.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Nov 3 2007, 07:22 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Nov 3 2007, 11:09 AM) *
Gibson still use nitrocellulose for the finish on the majority of their guitars. Nitrocellulose isn't supposed to affect the tone. it lets the wood breathe as its semi-porous and it 'ages' nicely. I think Fender still use it or their high end Custom Shops. I think I'm right in saying that Epiphones are not nitrocellulose finished.

Most mass production guitar makers use polyurethane or polyester. They're both harder wearing and cheaper then nitro (polyester being the cheaper of the two). Both are also supposed to seal the wood - they're not porous. Polyurethane finishes can be really good if applied reasonably thinly. Too thick and it's like dumping your guitar in liquid plastic - once it's set guess what you'll hear most. Polyester tends to be used a lot more on the 'cheaper' end as it's easier and faster to spray on.

Whilst poly finishes will retain their original colour etc better then nitro (nitro ages) poly finishes are much harder to repair if damaged.

Cheers,
Tony

Jeeze. How do you know all this?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:39 PM