Learning A Melody You Sing, My First Vocalization in A
Jim S.
Oct 26 2013, 09:40 PM
Learning Rock Star
I began singing the beginning of this melody walking around my house and before I forgot it, I picked up the old guitar. The bending sequence was pretty hard because my voice can do it so easily.

What's cool to discover is that the melody I sing is in A but almost all of my guitar work is in some kind of minor key and I have a hard time soloing over Major progressions. This is just the beginning of another road to work on but it is a cool one too.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Jim S.
Oct 27 2013, 11:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Oct 27 2013, 05:03 AM) *
Nice one man! I too find that if you turn a non-guitar melody into a guitar melody, you can get some interesting sounds and 'voices' going on.

Thanks Taka I appreciate you taking a look at my video.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Oct 27 2013, 08:22 AM) *
Nice one Jim! This is exactly what I do when I try to write a song or solo. Just walking around my home and trying to sing before I'll take the guitar smile.gif Very nice ideas comes directly from the head because it has no technique and fingers shapes limitations smile.gif

Same to you Darius!

Something else that I found by learning some melodies from my head is the new positions/patterns/tones and working on 1 string longer. Seems the voice can move very quickly note to note and make huge leaps smoothly. You need to use bending or sliding more than changing strings...

How do you guys go about putting a rhythm behind your new lead? Do you focus on the melody in your head and try to find common rhythm patterns and test chords based on the key or does the melody define the chords no matter what? Thanks again for the advice.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:59 PM