Marty Friedman Zero Traction On Youtube?
Todd Simpson
Mar 8 2023, 11:05 PM
GMC:er
I ran across Marty on youtube the other day as he was doing a gig with Megadeth in Japan which was quite cool as a sort of reunion thing. There has been a ton of videos about this show on youtube lately. I then ran across Marty's official youtube page which has a scant 27k followers. here is his main link, he didn't even customize his main profile link.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8p0ZqjT7f_zZiS-py5w-WQ

Then, noticed that many of his vids, including this one, a single he put out a few years ago, had around 500 views. Yup, Mr guitar legend himself, who has played for decades all over planet earth, can't manage more than a few hundred views for videos that obviously cost actual money, that were made as promo for actual albums that cost actual money. I hadn't ever noticed this before now somehow as I didn't know he even had a youtube channel. Evidently, most folks don't know as he barely has any subscribers, and barely has any content.

In start contrast to say, ola englund who is more of a youtuber and who now sells his own line of guitars/pedals/merch etc. who has 3/4 of a million subs. it really is that hard to get traction on youtube. Unless you are an O.G. who has been part of the algo since the early days, or have managed to find a way to dig in to the algo, being a living legend/insanely talented, guy like marty isn't enough to get eyeballs. So if your youtube numbers are low, don't beat yourself up. marty is struggling too.

Here is a cool interview he did with the Captain where he talks about his entire history. it's his story about how he never really spent any time in the wood shed, never really practices technique, never wanted to be a guitar virtuoso, doesn't like that kind of thing, etc. yet, of course, was in cacophony and megadeth, etc.

Here is that reunion gig where he plays with megedeth in Japan wearing his period flanel and guitar. His playing is still top pretty darn good imho. Dave is doing well despite being in his 60s, having survived throat cancer, severe nerve damage in his arm which wrecked his guitar playing for a while, etc.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 9 2023, 06:34 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 10:28 AM