Hotone Legacy Micro Amp Series
Todd Simpson
Jun 13 2022, 07:03 PM
GMC:er
Ive been using the MOJO DIAMOND (from Hotone, 5 watts) for a pedal board amp for quite some time. It' based on a Fender Tweed. I recently got a SIVA BOOGIE which is based on the clean channel of a Bogner Shiva. The siva has much more clean headroom but the Diamond does have a bit of amp breakup just like a tweed would. You can run two of these on your pedal board for a stereo setup. I used to run all my pedals through it, then I got rid of all my pedals for my ampero 1 and 2 and now they run through it wink.gif Powers a 4x12 cab which is what you hear in these videos.

Tweed Clone

Bogner Clone

Handy eh? These runs under $100 and make a very handy pedal board amp or practice amp. Add anything in front of it that you like.

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 13 2022, 10:08 PM
Those things are great.
I use the 'British Invasion' - Vox ac30
And the 'Freeze B' - Friedman hi-gain Marshall

I also have a Vox MV-50ac which is a little more expensive but it's also got 50 class D watts. You can play live with this thing.

The problems with these mini guys is that they really cheap out on the construction/durability. I would never (unless I absolutely had to) take any of these on an actual live gig. The plastic sleeve for the power supply cracked immediately on that Vox MV50. It still works fine but I'm not moving it around.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 14 2022, 04:18 AM
They are quite spiff aren't they? If you get a chance, I'd love to hear you play a quick bit through the British invasion and Freeze B! Cell phone vid would work fine, that's what i did for the videos above.

The odd thing about youtube shorts and tik tok is that it's tricky to use anything but a cell phone for making content. it's possible to shoot on something else and then move it to the phone via dropbox or something, and then upload, but what a pain in the neck?

P.S. BUILD QUALITY: I have found these to have great build quality as they are made from metal all round. Only plastic bits are the buttons. However, that large brick power cable never looked very sturdy. So i don't use it. I bought a pedal board power brick also made of metal and made sure it had 18v service in addition to 9 volt. That way I don't have to use the power cable that came with the unit. Even my pedal board is metal construction. For anything that has to survive any sort of travel, i always try to go for heavy duty stuff even though it's a bit heavier to tote. This power supply was only $25 on amazon and it's been quiet and great!

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 13 2022, 05:08 PM) *
Those things are great.

I also have a Vox MV-50ac which is a little more expensive but it's also got 50 class D watts. You can play live with this thing.

The problems with these mini guys is that they really cheap out on the construction/durability. I would never (unless I absolutely had to) take any of these on an actual live gig. The plastic sleeve for the power supply cracked immediately on that Vox MV50. It still works fine but I'm not moving it around.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 14 2022, 06:57 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 14 2022, 07:16 AM
GMC Founder
Very cool, I think that tweed sounded great from what I can tell though I guess it would be interesting to hear it recorded with a studio grade mic.

So this pedal uses digital processing, right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 14 2022, 02:38 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 13 2022, 11:16 PM) *

These really aren't pedals per se, they are solid state, 5 watt amps.

*The Vox mv50 I mentioned is also all analog (SS) and has a 50 watt class D amp that you can bypass.

@Todd Simpson ... I will try and do a couple of YT shorts of the Freeze and the Brit.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 14 2022, 09:57 PM
Ok, two YT shorts. The Hotone 'British Invasion' and the 'Freeze B'.
Camera is a little shaky. My son shot the video with my phone.
The Freeze B, which is supposed to be a Friedman BE (modded Marshall) is really noisy with the gain way up.
I found both of these used for around $60 (us)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 15 2022, 02:42 AM
thanks much for the demos!! I hope you don't mind if I share them in my facebook hotone users group? It's a small group focused on Hotone gear.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/196529841078789

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 14 2022, 04:57 PM) *
Ok, two YT shorts. The Hotone 'British Invasion' and the 'Freeze B'.
Camera is a little shaky. My son shot the video with my phone.
The Freeze B, which is supposed to be a Friedman BE (modded Marshall) is really noisy with the gain way up.
I found both of these used for around $60 (us)

here ya go smile.gif It's 5 of these amps through a full size MARSHALL cab with a studio quality mic. Starts about half way through the vid, switching to the big cab. They start on the tiny hotone cab and it goes to show how important a good full size cab can be. The amps are the same, only the cab changes and WOW does make a huge difference.

As ken mentions, no digital processing. Pure analogue love.

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 14 2022, 02:16 AM) *
Very cool, I think that tweed sounded great from what I can tell though I guess it would be interesting to hear it recorded with a studio grade mic.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 15 2022, 02:44 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 15 2022, 02:45 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 14 2022, 06:42 PM) *
thanks much for the demos!! I hope you don't mind if I share them in my facebook hotone users group? It's a small group focused on Hotone gear.

Please do!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 15 2022, 07:36 AM
GMC Founder
Great demos Ken - all of these sound really good.

So an all analog amp for a bargain price, and whichs sound really good - that's incredible!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 15 2022, 08:30 AM
These go for about $50 used which is a great price an analogue preamp/amp with on board eq. I've really liked everyone of them that I've tried. Including the Mesa boogie clone!

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 15 2022, 02:36 AM) *
Great demos Ken - all of these sound really good.

So an all analog amp for a bargain price, and whichs sound really good - that's incredible!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 15 2022, 08:32 AM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 13 2022, 04:43 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 13 2022, 10:08 PM) *
Those things are great.

I also have the Freeze B!!I have the Captain Sunset (Soldano SLO 100) and the Eagles Heart (Engl Savage 120) ones as well.
I used to have the Purple Wind but lent it to someone and haven't seen it since!!

I did try one of the floor pedal versions and was very impressed by it!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:13 PM