Zen's February Mtp Thread, Weekly assignments and uploads here
Pedja Simovic
Feb 7 2010, 08:15 PM
Instructor
Hi Zen,

We continue now with our work for February. For first 2 assignments I have decided to continue with superimposing with minor pentatonics only this time you will have to read the thread about major chords and record some superimposing with minor pentatonics over major type chords.

Here is your 1st and 2nd assignment

1st assignment :

- Read Superimposing with Minor Pentatonics over Major type chords post HERE
- After reading the whole thing with related link posts, think about choosing one chord and one approach you will use for recording!

2nd assignment :

- After you have chosen your approach, record a backing track with that chord and on top of that record yourself soloing with 1 or all 3 minor pentatonics corresponding with that mode!

Let me give you an example here. Lets say that you have chosen C major as your chord. Now you also chose C major to be treated as I (Ionian sounding). In that case you should play minor pentatonics from C major scale ( D ,E and A minor pentatonics) over C major chord in the background. 4th assignment asks you only to pick 1 but it also allows you to use all 3 pentatonics if you want to.
Backing track doesn't have to be anything fancy for this purpose. Just guitar playing the chord will do, if you want to add bass and drums to that to make it sound tighter go ahead!

Deadline for first two assignments is 14th of February.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Pedja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zen
Feb 13 2010, 04:36 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Pedja,

Sorry, I've been quiet... just been very busy with work.. and facing some creative mindblocks and lacking inspiration .... But I have managed to complete this assignment. Since I could'nt spend much time, went for A min pentatonic solo over G maj (mixolydian mode)

While mixing this.. I did an experiment to use 2 backing tracks.. to 'hear' superimpositions better ... check the sound ... so I used the same solo over C major too.

1. is A min pentatonic (same solo) over C major chord (no superimpositions) - C Ionian - http://www.box.net/shared/fxsbhyrvtz

2. is A min pentatonic (same solo) over G major chord (mixolydian mode) - G mixolydian
http://www.box.net/shared/lr4ixpglg9

Hmm.. interesting ... I like the C ionian (no superimposition's feel more smile.gif ) That one feels right the other one creates a different sound ... funny, coz it's the same solo smile.gif ... modes at play ?? tongue.gif

Once again, I've incorporated techniques that I am still learning (sweep, legato, runs etc), so it's sloppy but I'm working on those techniques. Feel is rockish as you know that's the style I wanna develop.

In C Ionian, we cannot use A min pentatonic coz the notes of the Amin pentatonic scale are the same as C major chord, therefore no superimpositions happening, is this correct? If yes, can you give me another example where this applies .. or is it only for this chord/scale combination.. Sorry, I haven't learnt all the scales of all the keys and notes yet sad.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 13 2010, 05:16 AM
Learning Rock Star
Sorry to barge in. Don't wanna answer anything on Pedja's behalf, but just want to say:

I enjoyed listening to the jam over the two different backing tracks, it was very interestering to hear! And nice playing too!

And here's one for Pedja, as I don't want to start a new topic and it is kinda related to what Zen has asked.

One probably wouldn't refer to playing A minor pentatonic over a C major chord as superimposing, but could it not be argued that it actually is superimposing? I mean, sure it's the same notes, but you are, as long as you're actually thinking it, thinking of playing A minor pentatonic over another chord than A minor. And furthermore, out of curiosity also: if I just took a random scale and played it on top of a non-related chord (say G# major on A minor chord), would that be considered superimposing (besides the fact of "playing wrong notes/"outside-ish"") given the fact that are we are pretending that there is a chord that in fact isn't there? smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
zen
Feb 13 2010, 05:30 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey man.. thanks for listening to my take..
And I don't mind anyone posting in here at all ...

You've asked pretty much where I was going next with my queries.... so lets wait for the master to clarify smile.gif

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Feb 13 2010, 04:43 PM
Instructor
Zen I heard both takes (same solo over different backing track). First of all , in the beginning phase of solo you used F note which doesn't belong to A minor pentatonic. In couple of places you used diatonic soloing which is really using scales/modes rather than pentatonic superimposing. I did however hear in your take a lot of pentatonic lines as well, just watch out as intention of the assignment was to do strictly pentatonic superimposing.
Regarding your question for superimposing, answer is quite simple really.

Superimposing is playing something other than obvious over something. C major chord, obvious thing to play is C major pentatonic which is related to A minor pentatonic (same notes just start on different pentatonic scale degree). So obviously we do not consider A minor pentatonic over C major chord superimposing but rather as obvious choice. I am not saying here don't do it! You should play A minor pentatonic over C major sound, it sounds strong and it has all the chord tones of the chord with additional tensions 9 and 13. I am just saying for purposes of understanding and using superimposing with minor pentatonics, learn and apply other pentatonic options as they bring different sound and feel when you are playing. I hope that answers your questions Zen.

Ben, to answer your question now : Anything other then obvious would be considered superimposing. Example you named is superimposing as would be anything along those lines. I hope that helps man.

--------------------

+Quote Post
zen
Feb 14 2010, 02:06 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Feb 14 2010, 02:43 AM) *
Zen I heard both takes (same solo over different backing track). First of all , in the beginning phase of solo you used F note which doesn't belong to A minor pentatonic. In couple of places you used diatonic soloing which is really using scales/modes rather than pentatonic superimposing. I did however hear in your take a lot of pentatonic lines as well, just watch out as intention of the assignment was to do strictly pentatonic superimposing.

Apologies Pedja, I'll fix it. Give me a few hours. I'll upload another take.
Thanks for clarifying my doubts.

This post has been edited by zen: Feb 14 2010, 02:07 AM

--------------------

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
zen
Feb 14 2010, 06:12 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Here it is man .. I've tried to remain strictly within A pentatonic hopefully .. Sorry, it's sloppy .. my techniques need a lot of practice..

http://www.box.net/shared/a126oexnvu

--------------------

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Feb 19 2010, 03:52 PM
Instructor
Zen we continue with your remaining assignments for February. We have 3rd, 4th and REC assignment to cover.

3rd assignment and REC :

- Record Triads in a song context lesson found HERE
- Once you are done with video recording, upload it in REC part of forum for grading. Make sure that you include voting pool.

4th assignment :

- Record backing track using two random chords!
- Chords could have the same quality (two major chords for example) or different quality ( minor and then major chord).
- Chords don't have to be diatonic ( in other words you could record C and Eb major chords in backing track!)
- Over these chords, solo using superimposing with minor pentatonics!
- Once you recorded your solo, upload it in this thread.

For example... I choose to record two chords that have same quality, major chords. First chord is C major while second is Eb major. Duration is the same for both of the chords. Now what I need to do is decide what I want my C major and Eb major to sound like. I decide that I want C major to sound like Ionian, so I pick E minor pentatonic to solo over. In other case I choose my Eb major to sound like Mixolyidian, so I pick Bb minor pentatonic to superimpose over it. Now I record a solo using E minor and Bb minor pentatonics over C major and Eb major chords. The duration of solo is your choice!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Deadline for these assignments is 28th of February !

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
zen
Feb 19 2010, 11:29 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hmm. thanks Pedja.. This is a lot of work for me to complete in 8 days. But I'll try my best and see how it goes.

--------------------

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Feb 20 2010, 08:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (zen @ Feb 19 2010, 11:29 PM) *
Hmm. thanks Pedja.. This is a lot of work for me to complete in 8 days. But I'll try my best and see how it goes.

I agree it should be great challenge wink.gif Try to do your best lets see what you make of it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
zen
Feb 23 2010, 09:53 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Pedja, I'm thinking of going for the following in the backing

D major (to sound like Ionian) - Soloin over Bmin pentatonic
F major ( to sound mixoLydian) - soloin over Dmin pentatonic

What do you think? Playing each chord for 2 measures and alternating...

Having a lot of difficulty on this one .. coz when i start jammin, i loose track if I am following strict pentatonic or not.. I go by the ear hunting for notes that sound good which beats the purpose of the assignment i guess sad.gif ..

(by the way, i fixed the previous assignment and uploaded a new take)

ps-- edit-- it seems both of my combination are related, so its not superimposing ... my head is just not working today .. i'll come back with another one. sad.gif

This post has been edited by zen: Feb 23 2010, 12:18 PM

--------------------

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Feb 23 2010, 09:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (zen @ Feb 23 2010, 09:53 AM) *
Hi Pedja, I'm thinking of going for the following in the backing

D major (to sound like Ionian) - Soloin over Bmin pentatonic
F major ( to sound mixoLydian) - soloin over Dmin pentatonic

What do you think? Playing each chord for 2 measures and alternating...

Having a lot of difficulty on this one .. coz when i start jammin, i loose track if I am following strict pentatonic or not.. I go by the ear hunting for notes that sound good which beats the purpose of the assignment i guess sad.gif ..

(by the way, i fixed the previous assignment and uploaded a new take)

ps-- edit-- it seems both of my combination are related, so its not superimposing ... my head is just not working today .. i'll come back with another one. sad.gif

Well if you just changed the combination of pentatonics you could have great thing going on in there !

--------------------

+Quote Post
zen
Feb 24 2010, 12:41 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
hey Pedja, tackling some personal issues at the moment which is rendering me quite useless in terms of creativity and practice time.. and the mood of my jam below says it all.

Dont know if I pass or not. Coz I can hear some notes that are in the relative minor scale too.. I'll give it a shot again if required. .. but at the moment .. im just not able to play. .... Sorry.

http://www.box.net/shared/2g4rx54zqo

Practicing the lesson for REC in whatever time i get.

Also it's unfortunate that our batch takes a break for 3 months now.... wanted to end on a strong note but i guess that wont happen at the moment. I'll focus on technique in the next few months.

--------------------

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
zen
Feb 28 2010, 02:59 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Pedja, just to let you know that I have'nt given up. This is the first time where I couldn't complete the assignment on time.

Can I please have the backing track for 'Triads in a song context' lesson?
Any comments on the 4th assignment take? Should I do it again ?

I might need some extension on the deadline.
But we're anyway out of the next cycle of mtp, so it's better that I do this properly rather than rush it. Your thoughts?

--------------------

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 1 2010, 02:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (zen @ Feb 24 2010, 12:41 PM) *
hey Pedja, tackling some personal issues at the moment which is rendering me quite useless in terms of creativity and practice time.. and the mood of my jam below says it all.

Dont know if I pass or not. Coz I can hear some notes that are in the relative minor scale too.. I'll give it a shot again if required. .. but at the moment .. im just not able to play. .... Sorry.

http://www.box.net/shared/2g4rx54zqo

Practicing the lesson for REC in whatever time i get.

Also it's unfortunate that our batch takes a break for 3 months now.... wanted to end on a strong note but i guess that wont happen at the moment. I'll focus on technique in the next few months.

QUOTE (zen @ Feb 28 2010, 02:59 AM) *
Pedja, just to let you know that I have'nt given up. This is the first time where I couldn't complete the assignment on time.

Can I please have the backing track for 'Triads in a song context' lesson?
Any comments on the 4th assignment take? Should I do it again ?

I might need some extension on the deadline.
But we're anyway out of the next cycle of mtp, so it's better that I do this properly rather than rush it. Your thoughts?

Zen my friend I haven't forgotten you and your work. I have been and still am down with a bad flu. I hope to recover in next 3-4 days as a lot of other things are suffering because of it.
Your take is good, I have nothing to critique you on it right now. Regarding backing track question, you can find it in my REQUEST section HERE
I just want to say that I am 100% bummed out and sad regarding new MTP rules. I don't like the idea of you guys pausing for 3 months and not doing anything. Also I believe that 3 months of working with somebody is not enough to transfer all the knowledge secrets shortcuts ideas etc. Whichever way I look at things it makes me feel said and disappointing that I will have to stop mentoring you and 8 other guys through no fault of our own. I still believe there could be way out of this, lets hope that they will find a solution that would work for everybody!

--------------------

+Quote Post
zen
Mar 10 2010, 12:23 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hello Pedja,

Hope you are feeling better now. smile.gif

Here is my pending REC take for the month of Feb. I can hear some timing issues but this is the best I could record today.
This lesson was very hard for me. I even grew my nails for the first time for fingerpicking, heh
Let me know if you are not happy with it. If you are, then I'll submit it to REC board.

Thank you for this awesome MTP. You're in the record books now as you're the first person who got me started in music theory laugh.gif
Although, Ive barely just scratched the surface. Yet to apply it to the fretboard properly smile.gif

This post has been edited by zen: Mar 10 2010, 12:24 PM

--------------------

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 10 2010, 02:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (zen @ Mar 10 2010, 12:23 PM) *
Hello Pedja,

Hope you are feeling better now. smile.gif

Here is my pending REC take for the month of Feb. I can hear some timing issues but this is the best I could record today.
This lesson was very hard for me. I even grew my nails for the first time for fingerpicking, heh
Let me know if you are not happy with it. If you are, then I'll submit it to REC board.

Thank you for this awesome MTP. You're in the record books now as you're the first person who got me started in music theory laugh.gif
Although, Ive barely just scratched the surface. Yet to apply it to the fretboard properly smile.gif

Hello Zen,

I am not sick anymore, feeling great for last couple of days thank you smile.gif

Your take is fantastic. I am very happy to see and hear such a good take. I can only assume it took you very long time to master it and get it under your fingers. Really well done, I will grade this with a 10. Go ahead and submit it to REC board.

I am glad I helped you get into theory and harmony. My intentions are always the best and again it hurts me a lot to accept that we have to pause our work for 90 or so days. I hoped this would change but no luck unfortunately. I gave you my email I think, [email protected]. Contact me on MSN with that email as I have to lock this thread and close it for moderators to evaluate it.

Thank you for everything Zen. You have been really great student to work with, I hope to work with you again in the near future.

All the best,

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:17 PM