How To Record Lessons...., From Amps to Cpu.....
JD_
Jul 6 2011, 06:36 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi all how's it going?
Was wondering if anyone could help me out. I need to record the lessons i am studying here and upload them to Youtube... It has been years since i have been around this stuff and I don't kno how to start. Ppl have mentioned movie maker?
I have: AMPS.... Line 6 Spider 4, Marshall jcm 2000
A HD Camcorder
And a computer.....

Whats the best way for me to record myself playing and upload it?
Any help u can give will be great Cheers cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jul 6 2011, 10:55 AM
Instructor
You should be more precise- do you want the best or easiest way? In your question, I would say that you are a beginner at this.. Basically, for editing a HD footage you need a powerful computer (at least dual core 2.4 ghz, 2gb memory and a decent sound card.) Now, in this case the easiest way is to record several times your playing, check your tone and picture,whether it is a good balance between background track and guitar, and when you're satisfied with what you hear and see, throw the footage into a computer.
I'm not sure that Movie Maker can handle HD material, because it is huge, and in the end it is essential that you must set up how are you going to export processed clip out, and not lose the quality !
This is a program that I use often Total Video Converter for converting large files. Output is always Mp4, because it gives the smallest loss of the original recording quality, and is very grateful for you tube, vimeo, etc. ..Remember, this is the easiest way.
The best? It is not that easy ...
I'm sure there are plenty of posts here on the subject, like this for example >>>

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=39226
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=39439

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 6 2011, 01:07 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
The easiest way to record your guitar is probably using a POD. There are great sounding unexpensive solutions such as Pod Studio GX.

That way you can record your sound through the POD without the need of anything else (you won't need your real amp, because the POD is an amp/effect simulator, and quite good at it for recording purposes).

Then you need something to record the image at the same time, such as your recorder or a good web cam.

Then you put the video and the audio together using something free like Movie Maker or other programs (not free) such as Sony vegas.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 6 2011, 01:23 PM
Instructor
If you've got a Line 6 amp it may have an XLR Line out of the back of the amp. Not sure about the Spider but I've got a Line 6 head and I used to just run an XLR lead straight from the head into my audio interface. It's quicker and easier than mic'ing up a guitar cab.

However you'll need an audio interface like this:

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/edi...nterface--22462

Not necessarily that model, but an audio interface allows you to connect to the computer. You'll also need audio software like Cubase, Pro Tools or something else.. I hear a lot of people talking about Reaper. Not sure what that is but it might be worth an ask.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 6 2011, 06:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
The typical setup would be as follows:

1. instrument
2. one of the following
a. Mic'd amplifier
b. A Guitar processor like a POD, Boss ME 70, or simlar
c. A DI-Box to boost the signal of your guitar directly into your ocmputer clean via a sound-card jack OR an Audio Interface
3. Either a good sound-card, one that is meant for recording, like an EMU
(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/e-mu-0404-pcie-digital-audio-system/584006000000000?src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0&gclid=CNr0l42a7akCFQllgwod_GG4Yw)

OR a USB Audio Interface - the interface does what the soundcard would do in terms of allowing you to plug your instrument, microphone or guitar processor into your computer with good sound qualiity. Here's a decent one for just over a 100 bucks smile.gif
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOFSTRKMK2

4. Some sort of DAW - REAPER is free and used by a lot of folks on this forum -
http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

5. your video camera.
6. Video editing software - sony Vegas is a good one and decently priced.

Quick and Dirty - Video recorder only
just plug into your amp and and record via your video recorder. Downside to this approach is that video camera microphones are very limited in their audio recording range, so it won't sound good, but if you keep your volumes low, it will at least record you.

Video Recorder, Audio Interface, Guitar processor and DAW (like Reaper)
Hopefully you'l linvest in an Audio Interface - it will be your prized tool and comes in many affordable price ranges, beginning at around 70 dollars. Audio interfaces will have inputs for plugging a guitar and usually a microphone XLR cable directly into it. The Audio Interface will be connected to your computer via USB (preferrably), or Firewire (still good, but not many computers have Firewire ports anymore since USB 2.0 came out).

To record using this method - fire up REAPER, create an audio track to record your guitar. Fire up your video camera with microphone turned on. You won't be using the video camera's microphone, but being able to hear the strings on your guitar playing will help you line up your audio with your video when it's time to mix.

Start recording with both your video camera AND REAPER. When your done, export your audio track to a .WAV or .MP3. Export your video from the camera to your computer.

Open up Sony Vegas Pro, or some other video editing software.

Import both the video and the exported audo from REAPEr.Line up the audio waves from both the video's sound wave and your REAPER export audio file so they are sync'd. Then mute or delete the video camera's audio wave. Export the video to MPEG, then upload it to YouTube.

That's the basic explanation - mixing your sound so it sounds professional is a huge topic, but this is basically how it's done. I'll be writing up an tutorial on the entire process and post it here at some point but it's a large topic that needs to be explained for people breaking into the field. In the meantime, ask questions as you go.

Also read up on Audio Interfaces, what they are and what they do here:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_and_a..._interfaces.htm

and there is a great guide for home recording here:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

I recommend reading the ENTIRE guide - navigation is on the left of the page I linked to you.

Best to you,
Chris

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jul 6 2011, 10:29 AM) *
Best to you,
Chris

Just as an aside - I record my videos using an ME70. I plug my guitar into it, then run the headphone line out of the ME70 into my Audio Interface's line in. The signal goes from the Audio Interface into my computer via Firewire. I record that signal using my DAW - I use cubase - a little pricy, but a pretty good DAW. My video camera's a FLIP. but I can also use my Iphone or even a cheapo web-cam, though the frame rates on webcams are generally lower than a video camera - but it works. I'll record the video AND via Cubase simultaneously, then replace the video's audio channel with what I recorded in Cubase. Syncing the video with the audio can be a little tricky at first, which is why it's good if the video camera can "hear" your struming/picking if even only a little - that way you can line up the visual audio wave peaks and valleys.

Anyways - nuff said. Lots of smart folks in these forums, so ask questions whenever you get stuck or need advice. The learning curve can be a bit steep at first, and it IS time consuming so be prepared for that. But once you get down a good work flow, you'll have fun with it.

Chris

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: Jul 6 2011, 06:39 PM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 6 2011, 09:02 PM
Instructor
If you don't want to invest any money, then you should:

1. Connect Line 6 Spider Line Out/Direct Out (the one in the back of the amp) to your Line In on your sound card (you will possibly need special cable/adapter for this)
2. Install audio recording software, and make sure it records the Line In source (free software: Reaper)
3. Import backing track that you want to play over into your audio recording software
4. Turn on recording on your HD camcoder
5. Play the backing track and start playing/recording everything
6. After you finish, mix the backing track with your guitar track, and render it as a wave file (save it somewhere on hard drive)
7. Open video editor software (free software: Movie Maker, Avid FreeDV, Wax)
8. Import your HD video & audio, and syncronize them together (use waveforms of audio files for syncing)
9. Render everything to desirable YT resolution (720p recommended)
10. Post it here! smile.gif

if you have any questions along the way, let us know! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jul 6 2011, 09:04 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
gitarcitolga
Jul 6 2011, 10:48 PM
Learning Chord Basher
I'm a beginner too and that stuff all you talk for recording is really ( I mean it) confusing me. I recorded two of my videos with a basic HD cam and that was it. I just turned the voice up on my ENGL amp and got new speakers for my laptop so that I can turn the backing rhythms up too and I attended to record few times till I play it perfectly. I do not know how I can connect my guitar to the computer, if I do, how am I gonna arrange the music on the computer.. I guess this recording stuff is way harder then practising the guitar itself. Because there are so many softwares, and instruments that I have no idea how to use, besides will invest some money too...it scares me a bit..don't know how I will learn this scary subject. Because I know that soon playing the solo or rhythm won't be enough and I will want to make my own backing tracks, maybe make my own song one day (just a dream for now).

--------------------
Cheers,
Tolga

-Life is beautiful-

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 7 2011, 12:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gitarcitolga @ Jul 6 2011, 11:48 PM) *
I'm a beginner too and that stuff all you talk for recording is really ( I mean it) confusing me. I recorded two of my videos with a basic HD cam and that was it. I just turned the voice up on my ENGL amp and got new speakers for my laptop so that I can turn the backing rhythms up too and I attended to record few times till I play it perfectly. I do not know how I can connect my guitar to the computer, if I do, how am I gonna arrange the music on the computer.. I guess this recording stuff is way harder then practising the guitar itself. Because there are so many softwares, and instruments that I have no idea how to use, besides will invest some money too...it scares me a bit..don't know how I will learn this scary subject. Because I know that soon playing the solo or rhythm won't be enough and I will want to make my own backing tracks, maybe make my own song one day (just a dream for now).

Without too much telling about - it's best to start working about it! smile.gif It can be (and it will be!) confusing and frustrating at first, but take your time and be patient. You cannot learn it based on text here, you need to try to go through the things we mentioned and learn it that way. We are giving shortcuts and advices based on our experience. The good side of the thing is that you can start doing it, and when you experience difficulties, post here and we will help along the way.

For proper recording, you need to invest some money, and it's perfectly normal if you want to create music. Fortunately, audio interfaces are not expensive these days, you can find one for 90$, and it will do the job nicely. When I started doing this, interfaces were hard to find and so expensive we could dream about it. I think it is a lot easier today bro.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 7 2011, 03:39 PM
It's not hard, all you need is:

- Record Video: Use a camera (a good webcam or your HD cam)

- Record Audio: Something like a POD Studio GX (Inexpensive)

- Software to make it all work: The POD comes packed with its own software to emulate different amps and effects. Those tones will be recorded using Reaper (free to try, and lasts forever). With Reaper you can record different tracks from your guitar, and also add backings from GMC etc, and combine them into one sound file all together. Finally, you need something to put the video file (from your camera) and the sound file (from Reaper) together, and to do that you can use Windows Movie Maker (Free, comes with windows). That way you replace the crappy sound of your camera with the great sound from the POD. You obviously need to shoot the video and record your playing in Reaper at the same time.

These are basic steps to record a simple tune with a guitar over a GMC tracking. If you intend to use virtual instruments etc to create whole songs, it gets more complicated, of course!

This post has been edited by Fran: Jul 7 2011, 03:41 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 7 2011, 06:03 PM
GMC:er
Some great replies here. The steps are very well covered. The really import bit, as mentioned, is gettng your video together with your audio. The good news is that REAPER (The free DAW - Digital Audio Workstation ) software that was mentioned, also supports video. If you have a clean video take of your playing, or even several takes, you can import the video files directly in to reaper and line them up with the audio. Here is some reference on the matter.

http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Vide...pport_in_REAPER

Reaper is not for editing video really, but it will support video once it's recorded. If you are doing one pass takes, (record video, play, stop record) you can bring each take in on a new track. Syncing them up isn't hard. Simply use your hands to make a big CLAP sound and get it on video. THat way the clap noise in reaper, will be where you put the clap in the video. If you get some practice, you can skip this step and synch up just by ear.

Todd

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 8 2011, 10:01 AM
Wow! I didn't know you could add video tracks into reaper!

But does Reaper then make movie makers job? Can it create the final video including the POD sound take?

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 10 2011, 09:07 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Fran @ Jul 8 2011, 04:01 AM) *
Wow! I didn't know you could add video tracks into reaper!

But does Reaper then make movie makers job? Can it create the final video including the POD sound take?

Yup wink.gif Handy eh? Here is a screen grab. You just change the file type to a video format. It can easily render out using FFMJPG a freeware compressor. It may install with the PC version. Give exporting a shot and let me know how it goes.
Attached Image

Just for handy reference here is the official user manual but I dare say it's not "complete". I didn't find mention of video exporting in it.

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php

Here are some handy video tutorials, one of which is very important as it deals with "Latency" you reduce lag by tweaking the settings.

http://tutorialsforreaper.com/page/2/

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 11 2011, 06:30 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 6 2011, 08:02 PM) *
If you don't want to invest any money, then you should:

1. Connect Line 6 Spider Line Out/Direct Out (the one in the back of the amp) to your Line In on your sound card (you will possibly need special cable/adapter for this)
2. Install audio recording software, and make sure it records the Line In source (free software: Reaper)
3. Import backing track that you want to play over into your audio recording software
4. Turn on recording on your HD camcoder
5. Play the backing track and start playing/recording everything
6. After you finish, mix the backing track with your guitar track, and render it as a wave file (save it somewhere on hard drive)
7. Open video editor software (free software: Movie Maker, Avid FreeDV, Wax)
8. Import your HD video & audio, and syncronize them together (use waveforms of audio files for syncing)
9. Render everything to desirable YT resolution (720p recommended)
10. Post it here! smile.gif

if you have any questions along the way, let us know! smile.gif

Thanks alot Ivan....u always giove great advice and help along the way...i really appreciate it mate...thanks wink.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 11 2011, 07:16 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks to everyone's input and help...as always very usefull. Cheers

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 13 2011, 02:18 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jul 6 2011, 05:49 PM) *
The typical setup would be as follows:

1. instrument
2. one of the following
a. Mic'd amplifier
b. A Guitar processor like a POD, Boss ME 70, or simlar
c. A DI-Box to boost the signal of your guitar directly into your ocmputer clean via a sound-card jack OR an Audio Interface
3. Either a good sound-card, one that is meant for recording, like an EMU
(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/e-mu-0404-pcie-digital-audio-system/584006000000000?src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0&gclid=CNr0l42a7akCFQllgwod_GG4Yw)

OR a USB Audio Interface - the interface does what the soundcard would do in terms of allowing you to plug your instrument, microphone or guitar processor into your computer with good sound qualiity. Here's a decent one for just over a 100 bucks smile.gif
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOFSTRKMK2

4. Some sort of DAW - REAPER is free and used by a lot of folks on this forum -
http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

5. your video camera.
6. Video editing software - sony Vegas is a good one and decently priced.

Quick and Dirty - Video recorder only
just plug into your amp and and record via your video recorder. Downside to this approach is that video camera microphones are very limited in their audio recording range, so it won't sound good, but if you keep your volumes low, it will at least record you.

Video Recorder, Audio Interface, Guitar processor and DAW (like Reaper)
Hopefully you'l linvest in an Audio Interface - it will be your prized tool and comes in many affordable price ranges, beginning at around 70 dollars. Audio interfaces will have inputs for plugging a guitar and usually a microphone XLR cable directly into it. The Audio Interface will be connected to your computer via USB (preferrably), or Firewire (still good, but not many computers have Firewire ports anymore since USB 2.0 came out).

To record using this method - fire up REAPER, create an audio track to record your guitar. Fire up your video camera with microphone turned on. You won't be using the video camera's microphone, but being able to hear the strings on your guitar playing will help you line up your audio with your video when it's time to mix.

Start recording with both your video camera AND REAPER. When your done, export your audio track to a .WAV or .MP3. Export your video from the camera to your computer.

Open up Sony Vegas Pro, or some other video editing software.

Import both the video and the exported audo from REAPEr.Line up the audio waves from both the video's sound wave and your REAPER export audio file so they are sync'd. Then mute or delete the video camera's audio wave. Export the video to MPEG, then upload it to YouTube.

That's the basic explanation - mixing your sound so it sounds professional is a huge topic, but this is basically how it's done. I'll be writing up an tutorial on the entire process and post it here at some point but it's a large topic that needs to be explained for people breaking into the field. In the meantime, ask questions as you go.

Also read up on Audio Interfaces, what they are and what they do here:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_and_a..._interfaces.htm

and there is a great guide for home recording here:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

I recommend reading the ENTIRE guide - navigation is on the left of the page I linked to you.

Best to you,
Chris

Just as an aside - I record my videos using an ME70. I plug my guitar into it, then run the headphone line out of the ME70 into my Audio Interface's line in. The signal goes from the Audio Interface into my computer via Firewire. I record that signal using my DAW - I use cubase - a little pricy, but a pretty good DAW. My video camera's a FLIP. but I can also use my Iphone or even a cheapo web-cam, though the frame rates on webcams are generally lower than a video camera - but it works. I'll record the video AND via Cubase simultaneously, then replace the video's audio channel with what I recorded in Cubase. Syncing the video with the audio can be a little tricky at first, which is why it's good if the video camera can "hear" your struming/picking if even only a little - that way you can line up the visual audio wave peaks and valleys.

Anyways - nuff said. Lots of smart folks in these forums, so ask questions whenever you get stuck or need advice. The learning curve can be a bit steep at first, and it IS time consuming so be prepared for that. But once you get down a good work flow, you'll have fun with it.

Chris

Awesome advice mate...really helped me alot, cheers

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:30 PM