Mini/portable Recorders, any good?
Marc_Maiden
Feb 4 2009, 10:59 PM
GMC:er
ive been looking for ways to get my amps sound to my computer...the toneport just isnt doing it for me right and i want to get my new set ups sound into the computer!

so ive been looking at solutionns (becaue i cant really afford the whole mic/fast track/mixer set up)

on craigslist i found some deals on stuff like the boss micro br recorder and an old korg pandora recorder and was wondering if these things are worth getting?

i know they come with mics, but could i connect to the amp and get that sound directly?

or any other solutions for recording will be welcome! (i use a toneport GX now)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 5 2009, 05:00 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I'd assume by tube mic pre - you mean a mic preamp based on vacuum tubes? Tube preamps - rather like tube guitar amps - are generally considered to offer a warmer and more musical sound to a solid state preamp. As an example Neves and Chandler were tube based whereas SSL made their fortune and reputation on solid state. The former tend to be more synonomous with a warm sound whereas the latter can be heard on an awful of of late 80s and 90s electronic and dance.

A good tube pre-amp will set you back easily more then 1500US dollars. As it stands people are still more then willing to pay a lot of money for vintage tube pre amps.

However if you mean a preamp for a vacuum tube microphone . Vac tube mics need both a separate power supply and often more gain then a dynamic mic. Whilst the mic should be supplied with the power supply any preamp that needs to feed a vac mic may need to take additional gain required. In that case you may need a pre that can deliver up to 60dB gain. This tends to be more true of the older tube mics - newer ones from the likes of Rode probably can be run off a standard preamp's gain range.

Cheers,
Tony

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Feb 5 2009, 11:36 PM
Reason for edit: mixing up former and latter

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Marc_Maiden   Mini/portable Recorders   Feb 4 2009, 10:59 PM
- - Bogdan Radovic   Hmm if you are planning to record your amps sound ...   Feb 5 2009, 12:02 AM
- - Marc_Maiden   toneport gx does noth ave an xlr input and im try...   Feb 5 2009, 01:11 AM
|- - Bogdan Radovic   QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Feb 5 2009, 01:11 AM...   Feb 6 2009, 01:08 AM
nnn
- - Ivan Milenkovic   How much money do you have mate? I can then tell y...   Feb 5 2009, 02:12 AM
- - Pedja Simovic   Hm I don't know if buying equipment might be b...   Feb 5 2009, 02:37 AM
- - Marc_Maiden   i was looking at $100-$150 but it might ...   Feb 5 2009, 06:53 AM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   Since you already have Toneport GX, and if you rea...   Feb 5 2009, 11:59 AM
|- - jdriver   QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 5 2009, 04:5...   Feb 6 2009, 07:51 AM
|- - Ivan Milenkovic   QUOTE (jdriver @ Feb 6 2009, 07:51 AM) I ...   Feb 6 2009, 12:28 PM
|- - Sensible Jones   QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 6 2009, 11:2...   Feb 6 2009, 04:31 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - Marc_Maiden   wow i didnt realize i could get that stuff that ch...   Feb 5 2009, 04:27 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Feb 5 2009, 04:27 PM...   Feb 5 2009, 08:45 PM
- - MickeM   What amp have you got? Some amps, even tube ones, ...   Feb 6 2009, 01:39 AM
|- - Marc_Maiden   QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 5 2009, 04:39 PM) Wha...   Feb 6 2009, 07:39 AM
nnn
- - Toni Suominen   I'm with Ivan on this one, a mic+pre-amp setup...   Feb 6 2009, 01:41 AM
- - Jesse   POD!   Feb 6 2009, 07:54 AM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:32 PM