A Special Mtp Kind Of Request., Learning Jazz/Blues with Robben Ford.
Jesse
Jun 26 2009, 05:46 PM
GMC:er
Hello:)
Most of you probably know that I play dem blues (Sted, thank's for "dem blues")
I'm also intersted in jazz/ and jazz blues. And at the conservatory I'll be heading, there's alot of jazz.
So I found Robben Ford, and this guy blew me away.
Just look him up, his jazz/blues phrasing is phenomenal, together with his chord knowledge.

So I got his book called "The Blues and Beyond" where he explains alot of stuff.
And I'd love to work trough it ( probably could but would be harder) but it's much more fun to do it with a "teacher" or just together.
Since it's summer vacation, I got a heck load of time (7 weeks of nothing planned, awesome!) I thought this would be a cool idea, to work trough his book, with a more experienced player, that can give me tips and insights, and some improv practising stuff for dem jazz/blues.

So,

Just a little of his awesomeness.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jesse: Jun 27 2009, 07:38 AM

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
sted
Jun 26 2009, 08:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
wow! Very cool player and great songs too! I might have a look atthat book of his! Thanks Jesse!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Fingerspasm
Jun 26 2009, 08:59 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I have his DVD The Art of Blues Rhythm and its a great DVD. The one thing I remember from that DVD is the cool use of triads and other chords. I have gotten it out and plan on watching it again this weekend. I will have to check out his book that you mentioned.

--------------------
My Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/FingerSpasm?feature=mhum

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes its the quiet voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 26 2009, 09:32 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
If I remember rightly Robben Ford made some great use of triad inversions when he did a version of the 'Monmouth College Fight Song' (think that's the title).

Also apart form his solo and Blue Line recordings check out his stuff with the Yellow Jackets.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 26 2009, 11:18 PM
Instructor
Very cool player, I love his tone. Joe Bonamassa reminds me on him.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jun 26 2009, 11:25 PM
Instructor
Robben is one of my favorite modern blues players. I even did a lesson in his style. Thanks for sharing this

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jun 27 2009, 01:36 PM
bmp

--------------------

+Quote Post
grathan
Jun 27 2009, 02:05 PM
I could buy the book and work through it with you. Though I don't know if I am a more experienced player than you... was that a must have prerequisite? I am however interested in Robben Ford's techniques and think that it would be fun to share insights gained and questiones wondered.

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jun 27 2009, 02:43 PM
go for it! I got a book from the library (gonna but too) jazz course 1 from Mickey Baker, Robben always refers to this book, he used it when he began in jazz.

This post has been edited by Jesse: Jun 27 2009, 02:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
grathan
Jun 27 2009, 05:19 PM

Okies, I have the book and am already studying the first song Rhumba Blues.

It's a simple song with 3 chords, mainly G7. Robben talks about the 3 different scales he uses over the song.

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jun 27 2009, 05:53 PM
yay!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:47 PM