5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
What Bands Got You Into Metal
Robin
Sep 19 2007, 10:24 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 19 2007, 08:36 PM) *
What's truly amazing with them is that if you listen to their latest record from 2007 and one of the old ones from the 80's they have kept the very foundation in their sound. They still sound like Saxon plain and simple. And they were one of the founders of NWOBHM so in my book they earn plenty of attention.

Another band like Saxon that got too little attention is Tygers of Pan Tang. Great band but they have a limited group of fans, it's a shame really.

I havent really heard their new stuff, but I did see a live video on youtube wich was rather new, and the vocalist still sounds the same!! Awesome of course.

Seriously... The first sentence he sings on Motorcycle man, OH MY GOODNESS WHAT A VOICE!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Sep 20 2007, 12:26 AM
Instructor
Metallica was the first metal band i ever listened to. Later came Blind Guardian and i guess they made me to become a metal fan.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 20 2007, 12:40 AM
Lets go fishing!
I loved Metallica when i was in school, especiall the "And Justice for all" album. I havent listened to much metal since school, maybe i will try something new! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Owen
Sep 20 2007, 12:53 AM
Pantera then DevilDriver then Opeth, Machine Head and Gojira.

I used to think Pantera were "br00tal" tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Sep 20 2007, 06:23 AM
QUOTE (Owen @ Sep 19 2007, 06:53 PM) *
I used to think Pantera were "br00tal" tongue.gif laugh.gif

Lol, not compared to Slayer.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Sep 20 2007, 03:32 PM
First metal band I ever liked was metallica, and after that I started listening to System of a Down and Rage Against the Machine. And then came Machinae Supremacy, In Flames and stuff like that, In Flames helped me to listen to the growls, but still, I had to get used to "real" growls after that. After that came opeth and after that everything came.

Burzum > Mayhem > Ulver

Opeth > Katatonia > Anathema

Isis > Pelican > Cult of Luna

etc biggrin.gif

Allthough, I don't actually see me as "into metal", but these bands made me listen to other metal bands.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dansol
Sep 20 2007, 06:08 PM
Trivium, Was completely different to all the stuff i previously listened to, saw the song 'Like light to the flies' on scuzz and was amazed at how they made the music the main part of their songs instead of it all just complimenting the vocals. This then led on to me listening to bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Ozzy, etc

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
Sep 21 2007, 02:22 PM
if there were any bands that got me into heavy music, it'd be Linkin Park and Muse.

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post
bubbalicious
Aug 7 2008, 08:53 PM
probably pantera/slayer those were my first metal bands i listend to

--------------------
my gear;

guitars:epiphone x-ploror
epiphone sg special (hopeing to remake it)
caliber strat copie
oakman acoustic
amps:mega 15 watt(crap)
line 6 spider 2 30 watt
pedals:zoom pedal board
line6 fx switcher
recording:line 6 toneport gx

check out my practice agenda

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2008, 08:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
I think Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and Melvins got me into the "hard" rock direction. Then Metallica got me hooked for some time and then I moved on to Dream Theater and prog metal.

Also been around Backstreet boys, Travis etc. in my time of listening to music laugh.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Aug 7 2008, 09:47 PM
Instructor
My answer is very unique and original: Metallica biggrin.gif but seriously, they pretty much got me more into metal than any other band.

Well, them and the people behind the "Powers Rangers" theme song. That tune is just so bruthzally metzhal!! laugh.gif

Then at some point came bands like Opeth and Dream Theater that started my fascination for progressive metal.

This post has been edited by Toni Suominen: Aug 7 2008, 09:49 PM

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 7 2008, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
For me it was Hammerfall that got me into metal, Since the day i started listening to them and dont want to listened to anything but metal

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Aug 7 2008, 10:21 PM
some day a 'friend' of mine had a tape with him with Korn on one side and Slipknot on the other. I told him it was pretty good and decided to delve into metal a little bit and went to the library and borrowed a Metallica CD, S&M to be precise. Because I grew up listening to classical music it was a direct hit. From that on I delved more into metal, finding bands like BG and IE and grew fond of prog metal. But the music that deffinately made me want to learn to play the guitar was Ayreon.

After a year of truly discovering Ayreon I really wanted to learn how to play guitar and now I'm here biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Nazgul
Aug 8 2008, 12:10 AM
In my case it was Metallica. I searched for a "The Hives"- CD, but somehow I got Master Of Puppets. huh.gif Well, Metallica is still my favourite band, and sure will be for all time.

--------------------
Chuck Norris rules!

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Aug 8 2008, 12:14 AM
Instructor
Cliched i know but it was METALLICA! That actually got me started on the guitar as well;)

--------------------

+Quote Post
vintageplaya666
Aug 8 2008, 12:53 AM
About 5 years ago, I listened to Pop/Dance and all that. Artists like Shaggy, Eminem etc..

One day, I turned over to Kerrang, and this song was on. It was the most amazing thing I ever heard, the riff was just pounding making my head want to headbang...It was Metallica's Enter Sandman.

That was the first time I heard them, After that I started listening to Metallica.

Then I heard Pantera, Skid Row, Motley Crue, Marilyn Manson, etc.

Grew out of my old music and from then on I listened to 80s rock/glam rock/metal etc

--------------------

Signature Made By Spleeny

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift "

+Quote Post
Kapto
Aug 8 2008, 01:02 AM
I remember a friend of mine lent me "The number of the Beast". I had no idea or what soever about heavy rock or metal. Anyway I didn't care very much about the music as it wasn't an easy listening. One day before going to school "Run to the hills" was on and I caught myself singing along ruuuun to theee hills....and from nowhere Dave murray plays that solo with wah and I froze for about 3 seconds <-------- (I mean that) trying to understand what I was feeling inside. So i'm with the ones with the NBWOM. + Accept. Scorpions.Then I moved backwards to see where that sound came from. Sabbath, Purple, Zeppelin were added to my list.

--------------------
"It's a long way to the top..."

+Quote Post
Déjà vu
Aug 8 2008, 01:05 AM
Dio... Then I learned about Metallica.

+Quote Post
stickyfingers
Aug 8 2008, 09:13 AM
first band that got me into hard rock direction was, even though im embarrassed to admit it, the scorpions. tongue.gif

then one day i saw a video of pantera's "this love" and i was blown away. i then made my way through various crossover bands like downset, thumb and eventually ended up in (newschool)hardcore from snapcase, integrity, refused, strife, earth crisis, sick of it all and more melodic cross-genre bands like life of agony, deftones, korn and so on. smile.gif

--------------------
Equip:
Ibanez RG 570
Ibanez RG 547
Boss GT-10
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Ibanez WD7
Fender Deluxe 112 Reverb

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Aug 8 2008, 09:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (stickyfingers @ Aug 8 2008, 09:13 AM) *
first band that got me into hard rock direction was, even though im embarrassed to admit it, the scorpions. tongue.gif

There's nothing to be embarrased about that, The Scorpions rules! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Toni Suominen: Aug 8 2008, 09:47 AM

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:29 PM