Old Norse Language...
icedern
Jul 16 2007, 02:47 PM
GMC:er
Can anyone here speak Norse...or at least sound really good faking it?

I'm currently writing a song about the battle of hastings and I am writing a passage that needs some norse.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 16 2007, 02:54 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
If he doenst answer here, PM Robin, i think he knows a bit about that stuff.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
icedern
Jul 16 2007, 02:55 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 16 2007, 08:54 AM) *
If he doenst answer here, PM Robin, i think he knows a bit about that stuff.

I thought he would.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 16 2007, 03:13 PM
Sorry I dont. Nowdays we talk WAY different from the old days. The language we got now we got from Denmark(I think).

But I think Icelandic is very close. They still keep their super kewl old school language alive, and maaan I wish Norway did that too.

I could help you with "Nynorsk"(New Norwegian, directly translated), wich is used in Norwegian folk music. Two norwegian writers mixed some stuff and made this I think biggrin.gif I could research a bit, atm I'm just saying what I remember so it might be totally wrong.

But nynorsk is freakin cool, just check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvBFdEiZwFw
Thats a Norwegian folk/rock artist that have made melodies for Aslaug Vaa's lyrics and poems etc.
Aslaug Vaa is this really known norwegian writer. I think she lived from around 1890 to 1965.

+Quote Post
Tank
Jul 16 2007, 03:24 PM
GMC Veteran
QUOTE (icedern @ Jul 16 2007, 02:47 PM) *
Can anyone here speak Norse...or at least sound really good faking it?

I'm currently writing a song about the battle of hastings and I am writing a passage that needs some norse.

No Norse from here (sorry). I'm just intrigued how you're doing a link between Norse, and the battle of hastings? huh.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
icedern
Jul 16 2007, 03:37 PM
QUOTE (Tank @ Jul 16 2007, 09:24 AM) *
No Norse from here (sorry). I'm just intrigued how you're doing a link between Norse, and the battle of hastings? huh.gif smile.gif

Well, I would think King Harold spoke it still? I could be completely wrong tho...

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Henrik Skotth
Jul 16 2007, 03:41 PM
GMC Tech & Community Manager
QUOTE (Tank @ Jul 16 2007, 04:24 PM) *

Me too. Perhaps you are rather thinking of the battle of Stamford Bridge?

--------------------
Tech manager @ GMC

+Quote Post
icedern
Jul 16 2007, 03:46 PM
QUOTE (Henrik Skotth @ Jul 16 2007, 09:41 AM) *
Me too. Perhaps you are rather thinking of the battle of Stamford Bridge?

I'm sure harold spoke some kind of anglo saxon dialect. How different would it be from norse? I really don't know.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 16 2007, 04:44 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (icedern @ Jul 16 2007, 10:46 AM) *
I'm sure harold spoke some kind of anglo saxon dialect. How different would it be from norse? I really don't know.

Well I'm no expert, but around that time, England was a mix of older Celt settlers, Angles and Saxons - the battle of hastings was Pivotal in introducing the Norman influence and Language to England of course. There was some Viking influence at this time mostly in the East and Central England - they probably would have spoken Norse, not sure what Harold would have spoken though, I think he was a Saxon, therefore he would have spoken a Germanic dialect, or Old English which I think descended form Germanic Dialects.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 16 2007, 04:47 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 16 2007, 04:44 PM) *
Well I'm no expert, but around that time, England was a mix of older Celt settlers, Angles and Saxons - the battle of hastings was Pivotal in introducing the Norman influence and Language to England of course. There was some Viking influence at this time mostly in the East and Central England - they probably would have spoken Norse, not sure what Harold would have spoken though, I think he was a Saxon, therefore he would have spoken a Germanic dialect, or Old English which I think descended form Germanic Dialects.

From what I've read, what Andrew says is absolutely spot on. smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:34 AM