Hows Your Hearing?
JoaquinJro
Jul 30 2013, 10:07 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys!

I was reading some stuff on the internet because i was bored, and i saw a topic about the musician`s hearing loss. The article said that some guitar players ears arent healthy because they are exposed to the sound of loud amps, studio monitors,concerts etc.

What do you guys think about that?

I take care of my ears haha, mine are healthy, but i realize that i hear more "clear and perfect" with my left ear. My ears are very sensitive (little pain).. i hate that. But maybe is a good thing, i don't need to listen music at high levels.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 30 2013, 10:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (JoaquinJro @ Jul 30 2013, 02:07 PM) *
Hey guys!

I was reading some stuff on the internet because i was bored, and i saw a topic about the musician`s hearing loss. The article said that some guitar players ears arent healthy because they are exposed to the sound of loud amps, studio monitors,concerts etc.

What do you guys think about that?

I take care of my ears haha, mine are healthy, but i realize that i hear more "clear and perfect" with my left ear. My ears are very sensitive (little pain).. i hate that. But maybe is a good thing, i don't need to listen music at high levels.

Excellent topic. This has been a concern of mine for some time now given the bands I'm in play really loud during practice in tight quarters. Even with decent hearing protection, I can still come out of a practice knowing I need more protection. One of the biggest issues musicians have is being able to hear themselves in the context of the other band members, and a volume war ensues.

In an attempt to protect my hearing at my last band-practice, I wore headphones plugged into a field recorder (Zoom HD2) and was really pleased with the result - that is to say, I could hear myself and everyone elase really well - but wearing headphones is kindof cumbersome, espeically in a hot room - and, I could tell it wasn't quite enough protection despite the mix I was able to get.

As a result, yesterday I sent an email requesting an appointment to get my ears fitted for custom molded ear-monitors (or plugs, whichever I
finally decide on). the fitting is between 60 and 80 dollars, and I'll get a mould of my ear canal that I can send off to a company that makes custom ear protection. I'm currently looking at the http://www.westoneaudio.com/ in-ear monitors that reduce noise by a factor of 25 db, while feeding me a mix of the outside sound at much lower levels like ear-buds. The ES5 model is my end-goal, but at a pricey $960 dollars, I'm settling for the little brother model which is the ES1 at $350 until I can afford the luxury/customizeable ones.

Definitely an important topics because hearing damage is irreversable. Once you lose it, it doesn't come back, and you lose it slowly over time with extended exposure to loud music - and loud is much softer than you think! Research it, and defend yourself against it!

I recommend you read this if you're interested in IN-EAR monitors. Great article / review of the top contenders in the market right now.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-...nitors-reviewed

Chris!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Jul 30 2013, 10:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
I try to take care of my ears as mic as possible. I generally carry around earplugs in my bag, because I never know when I'll be in a noisy situation wink.gif

Also, if you have a pair of noise isolation headphones, you can keep the volume much lower on buses etc without letting background noise in.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Jul 31 2013, 12:22 AM
GMC:er
Huh?

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 31 2013, 03:02 PM
Instructor
This is a very important topic. It's been a while since I did my last hearing analysis so I don't really know what effect had in my ears more than 10 years of playing with a rock band. I usually use protection during rehearsals but I've never used them live. Using Inear monitoring like Sir said could be a good solution for this, because I don't feel comfortable when I use just protection, I lose the highs of my tone.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:58 PM