Hello from Kansas, USA!
CGray
Feb 16 2007, 01:36 AM
GMC:er
Greetings all GMC'ers!! I have been sorta hangin around reading the forum and practicing various of Kris's technique videos. I'd feel bad if i didn't introduce myself soon. I have beat around on a few guitars since I was in highschool. I am 31 now and I have a real burning passion to get back into this with somewhat of a fresh start. I haven't had much formal training in the past and Ive self-taught myself.. mostly chord shapes and transitions. So, yeah, I pretty much suck. But, thats ok. I have a great feeling about these video lessons. These are possibly the best Ive seen out here on this massive web!

I use to own a very basic electric guitar maybe 15 yrs ago. It was an oscar schmidtt or something like that.. thats how long its been, i just cant quite remember. Anyway, I bought a basic takamine acoustic several years back. Believe it or not, after like 5 yrs, I still have the same strings. Yes, Im thinking I need to learn how to string a guitar. I have average size hands at best so I sorta find guitar a challenge. Perhaps, new lighter strings will help. But I do want to buy a decent electric. I could ask which guitar is easiest to play, but Im guessing I would get 100 different answers. Anyway, I have sorta slowed up my practicing this week because I think I overdid it and my hands, thumbs and arms are sore and sometimes painful. A friend of mine who plays says im just out of shape, but I figure Ill monitor it and maybe its also my posture, as I look down at my fretting hand alot when practicing new techniques.

Well, I hope I introduced myself well enough for you. Feel free to reply with any questions or whatever.... I look forward to mastering some techniques and perhaps even play a real solo some day! biggrin.gif

Cody

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
fkalich
Feb 16 2007, 07:33 AM
Hey Cody, I was born in KCK. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

What is your budget for the electric guitar?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
CGray
Feb 16 2007, 11:26 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Feb 16 2007, 12:33 AM) *
Hey Cody, I was born in KCK. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

What is your budget for the electric guitar?

Rock Chalk man!! Who woulda thought Id meet up with another fellow jayhawker @ GMC.

I am determined to budget for say 1200 - $1500, because I realize most of the time you get what you pay for. Ive only had base model guitars. I think maybe thats not always a good choice, as most base models are not as forgiving on the hands. I could be totally wrong, but thats my perception after using base models and talking with my more experienced guitar friends. However, one of my guitarist friends said its good to learn on an acoustic because it builds strength and callouses. As I mentioned, Im having to take it easy cuz my thumb muscles and wrists are real tight and sore right now.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Feb 17 2007, 12:37 AM
QUOTE (CGray @ Feb 16 2007, 11:26 PM) *
Rock Chalk man!! Who woulda thought Id meet up with another fellow jayhawker @ GMC.

I am determined to budget for say 1200 - $1500, because I realize most of the time you get what you pay for. Ive only had base model guitars. I think maybe thats not always a good choice, as most base models are not as forgiving on the hands. I could be totally wrong, but thats my perception after using base models and talking with my more experienced guitar friends. However, one of my guitarist friends said its good to learn on an acoustic because it builds strength and callouses. As I mentioned, Im having to take it easy cuz my thumb muscles and wrists are real tight and sore right now.

I get so stressed watching the games, I turn off the tv sometimes and listen to the radio broadcast. Against Florida we were down by 3 points with a minute and a half to go, I got out of my truck and climbed Campanile Hill and just listened to the screams of the people in town to know what was going on. As I walked down the hill I could tell things went right by the screams, I just was saying to myself, "I can't believe we won this,"

Now regarding the guitar, well I am a Fender and Gibson fan. Keep in mind that regardless of how many people say "oh this is a good as a gibson, or this is as good as a fender, or this is better than a gibson" most people given the choice will take the Gibson or fender, and they have the highest resale value. You may not feel the same, but I would go look at these two sites.

www.lespauforum.com
www.thefenderforum.com

And read the advice, really good advice, very active sites.

For the money you can get a very nice Fender. If you want to spend more, look at the Eric Johnson strat. People like those I think.

I bought two Fenders from these guys in West Virgina and was happy with them.

http://stores.homestead.com/GYost/Categori...American+Series

You see the Fender American Deluxe Ash on that link? Same guitar as Kris's, except it is a 3 tone finish. See the price is $150 less than musiciansfriend.com, and they pay shipping. Over Christmas they were even 10% less than that. I picked up an American Series Strat for $750 I think, pretty 3 tone, that was $200 less than musiciansfriend.com. That ash has the noiseless pickups. People like those, but not exactly the traditional strat sound, a bit thicker. I have heard of guy getting an American Series strat for $650. Typically those will be old stock, but who cares if it is good? If you are patient and look around, you can get one for a price that if you wanted, you could sell it used on ebay. I also bought a tele from these guys, both guitars were perfect.

If you are thinking Gibson, talk to a forum dealer listed on the lespaulforum.com site. They have the best prices, and best service, people really like them. I got a 58 les paul reissue for $2,400, from Saul at Centre City in San Diego. Those come out of the Gibson custom shop. The quality is a bit better, and they cost more (but not that much more if you shop around). Nothing wrong with the production line Gibsons though. I think their quality control slipped a few years back, but they have got that pretty much ironed out now. Saul will give you a good price on a Gibson. That 58 reissue is unreal, great tone, and the sustain on the reissues is really unsurpassed. Back in the 50's they would extend the neck joint much further into the body, and the reissues reproduce that. The frets are lower also, I like that, it is faster. Finish is great. The forum dealers will send you pictures so you can look at them and pick the one you want. Now you don't get to play it first, but you know, I feel that is way overstressed by some. Some people think oh this one sounds special. I think they imagine that more the most part. There is a lot of consistency I think, at least in the better American brands. If you are considering a les paul, you will get the best advice to be found there. And remember, whatever anyone says, they have the best resale value, that cannot be denied.

frank

edit: oh, consider the les paul studio also, that is the best buy. up to a few weeks ago gibson had a sale on those, everyone had them for $1,000 free shipping. Now back up to $1,200. A les paul stuido really sounds like a standard (except the standards have the burstbucker pickups, which are brighter). Studio has the more traditional pickups. And I have seen new studio premium + to be had for $1,000 new on ebay, from what looked to be a reputable ebay dealer. Those are a very pretty top, prettier than a standard, it is a AAA flame. In fact I bought one on ebay, and I really like it, sound great, looks great. If you buy it used though, make sure the guy guarantees that you can return it if anything is wrong. I would not worry so much about warranty, provided the ebay dealer looks solid, and has guaranteed you that nothing will be wrong with the guitar. Even if it has something wrong it might be minor and easily fixed by a shop. But you want to option to send it back, and the better ebay dealers will give you a guarantee.

edit #2: Oh, another brand people love is the PRS (Paul Reed Smith). They make a cheap line, some foreign import I am sure. But their top line is expensive. I am sure those are very nice. I hear nothing bad about them. Saw an interview of Eddie Van Halen and he was playing one. But I did not want to get obsessed over a 3rd brand, so I stuck with Fender and Gibson and am happy, have all the guitars I want (7 of them). But PRS is the third brand I and sure I would respect (based on all I have heard). But I am not going in that direction, life is too short to do the "grass is greener on the other side routine". I figure that once I had a PRS, the gibson/fender grass would look just as good from afar. The PRS is supposed to get more types of sounds (both fender-like and gibson-like). However, that is why I have 7. I never have been a fan of the "do it all" types of tools. If you are interested in PRS, talk to Saul at Centre City (lespaulforum.com dealer). He sales those also.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Feb 17 2007, 01:40 AM

+Quote Post
CGray
Feb 17 2007, 06:55 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Feb 16 2007, 05:37 PM) *
I get so stressed watching the games, I turn off the tv sometimes and listen to the radio broadcast. Against Florida we were down by 3 points with a minute and a half to go, I got out of my truck and climbed Campanile Hill and just listened to the screams of the people in town to know what was going on. As I walked down the hill I could tell things went right by the screams, I just was saying to myself, "I can't believe we won this,"

Now regarding the guitar, well I am a Fender and Gibson fan. Keep in mind that regardless of how many people say "oh this is a good as a gibson, or this is as good as a fender, or this is better than a gibson" most people given the choice will take the Gibson or fender, and they have the highest resale value. You may not feel the same, but I would go look at these two sites.

www.lespauforum.com
www.thefenderforum.com

And read the advice, really good advice, very active sites.

For the money you can get a very nice Fender. If you want to spend more, look at the Eric Johnson strat. People like those I think.

I bought two Fenders from these guys in West Virgina and was happy with them.

http://stores.homestead.com/GYost/Categori...American+Series

You see the Fender American Deluxe Ash on that link? Same guitar as Kris's, except it is a 3 tone finish. See the price is $150 less than musiciansfriend.com, and they pay shipping. Over Christmas they were even 10% less than that. I picked up an American Series Strat for $750 I think, pretty 3 tone, that was $200 less than musiciansfriend.com. That ash has the noiseless pickups. People like those, but not exactly the traditional strat sound, a bit thicker. I have heard of guy getting an American Series strat for $650. Typically those will be old stock, but who cares if it is good? If you are patient and look around, you can get one for a price that if you wanted, you could sell it used on ebay. I also bought a tele from these guys, both guitars were perfect.

If you are thinking Gibson, talk to a forum dealer listed on the lespaulforum.com site. They have the best prices, and best service, people really like them. I got a 58 les paul reissue for $2,400, from Saul at Centre City in San Diego. Those come out of the Gibson custom shop. The quality is a bit better, and they cost more (but not that much more if you shop around). Nothing wrong with the production line Gibsons though. I think their quality control slipped a few years back, but they have got that pretty much ironed out now. Saul will give you a good price on a Gibson. That 58 reissue is unreal, great tone, and the sustain on the reissues is really unsurpassed. Back in the 50's they would extend the neck joint much further into the body, and the reissues reproduce that. The frets are lower also, I like that, it is faster. Finish is great. The forum dealers will send you pictures so you can look at them and pick the one you want. Now you don't get to play it first, but you know, I feel that is way overstressed by some. Some people think oh this one sounds special. I think they imagine that more the most part. There is a lot of consistency I think, at least in the better American brands. If you are considering a les paul, you will get the best advice to be found there. And remember, whatever anyone says, they have the best resale value, that cannot be denied.

frank

edit: oh, consider the les paul studio also, that is the best buy. up to a few weeks ago gibson had a sale on those, everyone had them for $1,000 free shipping. Now back up to $1,200. A les paul stuido really sounds like a standard (except the standards have the burstbucker pickups, which are brighter). Studio has the more traditional pickups. And I have seen new studio premium + to be had for $1,000 new on ebay, from what looked to be a reputable ebay dealer. Those are a very pretty top, prettier than a standard, it is a AAA flame. In fact I bought one on ebay, and I really like it, sound great, looks great. If you buy it used though, make sure the guy guarantees that you can return it if anything is wrong. I would not worry so much about warranty, provided the ebay dealer looks solid, and has guaranteed you that nothing will be wrong with the guitar. Even if it has something wrong it might be minor and easily fixed by a shop. But you want to option to send it back, and the better ebay dealers will give you a guarantee.

edit #2: Oh, another brand people love is the PRS (Paul Reed Smith). They make a cheap line, some foreign import I am sure. But their top line is expensive. I am sure those are very nice. I hear nothing bad about them. Saw an interview of Eddie Van Halen and he was playing one. But I did not want to get obsessed over a 3rd brand, so I stuck with Fender and Gibson and am happy, have all the guitars I want (7 of them). But PRS is the third brand I and sure I would respect (based on all I have heard). But I am not going in that direction, life is too short to do the "grass is greener on the other side routine". I figure that once I had a PRS, the gibson/fender grass would look just as good from afar. The PRS is supposed to get more types of sounds (both fender-like and gibson-like). However, that is why I have 7. I never have been a fan of the "do it all" types of tools. If you are interested in PRS, talk to Saul at Centre City (lespaulforum.com dealer). He sales those also.

Lots a GREAT information here Frank! You know, I am a fan of David Gilmour, so he has drawn me to the idea of buying a Fender. I know thats probably one of the worst reasons for buying a guitar... because someone else plays it or it simply looks cool. I have average size hands at best, so I have been wondering if a guitar like the Ibanez JS1000 would be a good fit. Ive read somewhere that satriani has smaller hands than say steve vai. Anyway, I guess once I get a bit more talent on this acoustic, I will try out a bunch of makes/models in actual stores. To be honest, I dont have enough nerve to walk up and start jammin infront of anyone. Sad I know.... Its probably the main reason why I havent actually tried any of these guitars on for size yet.

Thanks again for the useful information. Go Hawks tonight agains Nebraska!

Cody

+Quote Post
fkalich
Feb 23 2007, 08:18 PM
QUOTE (CGray @ Feb 17 2007, 06:55 PM) *
Lots a GREAT information here Frank! You know, I am a fan of David Gilmour, so he has drawn me to the idea of buying a Fender. I know thats probably one of the worst reasons for buying a guitar... because someone else plays it or it simply looks cool. I have average size hands at best, so I have been wondering if a guitar like the Ibanez JS1000 would be a good fit. Ive read somewhere that satriani has smaller hands than say steve vai. Anyway, I guess once I get a bit more talent on this acoustic, I will try out a bunch of makes/models in actual stores. To be honest, I dont have enough nerve to walk up and start jammin infront of anyone. Sad I know.... Its probably the main reason why I havent actually tried any of these guitars on for size yet.

Thanks again for the useful information. Go Hawks tonight agains Nebraska!

Cody

No trouble with Nebraska or anyone else, looking good. I never wanted to walk up and start playing in front of anyone either when I picked it up again. In fact, still only want the dog and the cats to hear me. Really, you can research this pretty well on forums now, if you take the time to read all opinions. I am sure an Ibanez is good, I just wanted a fender, and in my experience, I am better off getting what I want and moving on. I would just get one you like, and get a good price. I don't know if I mentioned this. But I got an American Tele with the standard tele bridge pu, and the humbucker at the neck. It has the fancy switching, which is nice, I think they call it S1 switching, or maybe S3, not sure. I think they discontinued these. Probably not real popular, but then again, they could not give away les pauls in 1960. I really like that tele. Probably hard to find one, but if you did, you might get a good deal. It does not sound like a les paul, the humbucker is bright. but it is much fuller than a single coil, and with the switching you can make it sound quite different. American standard strats are nice to. You have the humbucker effect if you use position 2 or 4, it really does get rid of the hum if that is a problem. Really, all the cool guitars are cool. Just different. You can't go wrong if you get a good one. As far as the size of the hands and stuff, I don't worry about that myself. I don't much care if it is a thin neck, thick neck, or what. Even fret access. It is nice, but you lose some sustain when they cut out that section for the access. My best les paul dramatically out sustains my other instruments (although the tele sustains pretty well).

This post has been edited by fkalich: Feb 23 2007, 08:19 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:45 PM