Eleven Rack With Amp Troubles
fzalfa
Nov 18 2016, 12:11 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi

yesterday evening i have play at a pub.

but when i plug my leeven rack onto the pub's amp, i have too much gain ,even if amp's gain is low, i have larsen on a lot of preset etc....

very unusable

how do you setup your 11r in the way to play with an Amp ( peavy classic 30 in my case)

Cheers

Laurent

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 18 2016, 01:21 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Did you use the 'four cable method'. It uses the fx loop?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 18 2016, 01:45 PM
GMC:er
It might be if the amps master output is high (amp being too loud) its the distortion from its poweramp. There's no way around it, best is to connect the processor to the pubs main system (mixer)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 18 2016, 06:12 PM
If using with an amp, especially one you are not familiar with, just plug your guitar straight in to the amp first. Make sure you are on the clean channel. See if you can get a decent volume without it breaking up. Then just plug the amp out on the front of the 11 to the input of the amp. This is the most simple way to go about things IMHO smile.gif

The four cable method is great, but works on amps with fx loops and if you are trying to use an amp that you are not familiar with, just getting it to a semi loud clean state is a great start. Just plug your 11 rack in the front to keep it simple. Also, set the eq knobs on the amp at 12 oclock (mid position) and to a quick eg based on your main rythm tone. Lastly, before the gig, make sure the various volumes on the patches you plan to use are working. E.g. The clean patch should be audible as the rythm patch is, without having to touch any volume controls on anything. If not, tweak one of the patches. Then, the lead patch should be a pinch louder than the rythm patch without touching any volume control on anything. Setting the volumes on each patch is key to playing live. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Nov 18 2016, 07:11 AM) *
Hi

but when i plug my leeven rack onto the pub's amp, i have too much gain ,even if amp's gain is low, i have larsen on a lot of preset etc....

very unusable

how do you setup your 11r in the way to play with an Amp ( peavy classic 30 in my case)

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Nov 19 2016, 01:22 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Nov 18 2016, 11:11 AM) *
Hi

very unusable

Cheers

Laurent

My apologies if this is more advice than you wanted smile.gif, but, the Eleven isn't intended to be used that way. Don't use the amp, just plug the Eleven's output directly into the house PA.

Or, if you must use the Peavey's power amp for some reason: first disable the cabinet emulation on the Eleven, then plug its output into the Peavey's FX return (does it even have an fx loop?).

Or, you can use the Eleven for effects only in the fx loop of the Peavey. In that case, do not use any amp emulation or cabinet emulation in the Eleven..only effects. Depending on which effects you're using, you might need to use the 4 cable method. But, using the Eleven for effects only isn't a very good use of the Eleven.

Anything else, as you've discovered, will sound terrible smile.gif.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 19 2016, 05:26 PM
Assuming there is an fx loop of course smile.gif But yeah, I've plugged in to the front of an amp on the clean channel and it works fine, it you do as rammikin say and disable the cab sim you don't hvae to fight the eq nearly as hard. From what I read It seemed that you were getting too much gain, so I was guessing that the amp itself was not set on it's highest clean output. Depending on the amp, we don't know which one it is, it may be a small bandit for all we know smile.gif It may not be able to get loud enough on the clean channel to compete with the drums.

RAMMIKIN brings up a great point here. The 11 rack works very well run direct to the PA. Assuming you are using a PA smile.gif But I'm guessing you are for the vocals? Unless it's a non vocal gig? Anyhoo, if you have a PA for the vocals, just run from AMP OUT on the front of the 11 straight in to one of the channels on the PA mixer and then use the pa mixer to mix your volume in to things.

We don't know if you have floor monitors or if you are just using a P.A. with two speaker, or evenif there is a P.A. to be had, so a bit more on that would sure help smile.gif No matter what the situation, the 11 rack is very flexible so I'm sure you can work it out with a bit of testing smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Nov 18 2016, 08:22 PM) *
My apologies if this is more advice than you wanted smile.gif , but, the Eleven isn't intended to be used that way. Don't use the amp, just plug the Eleven's output directly into the house PA.

Or, if you must use the Peavey's power amp for some reason: first disable the cabinet emulation on the Eleven, then plug its output into the Peavey's FX return (does it even have an fx loop?).

Or, you can use the Eleven for effects only in the fx loop of the Peavey. In that case, do not use any amp emulation or cabinet emulation in the Eleven..only effects. Depending on which effects you're using, you might need to use the 4 cable method. But, using the Eleven for effects only isn't a very good use of the Eleven.

Anything else, as you've discovered, will sound terrible smile.gif .

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Nov 19 2016, 08:02 PM
Learning Roadie
i have a small 5W Vox amp, i'll do some test with this one, and maybe get it with me to the pub

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 19 2016, 08:41 PM
That amp is going to have a hard time keeping up with a drum kit. Assuming you are playing with a live drum kit smile.gif You haven't mentioned that bit? If it's just you then probly fine smile.gif But if they have a P.A. public address system e.g. speakers with a mixer, the 11 rack can just plugin straight in and you can skip the amp smile.gif It will sound better.

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Nov 19 2016, 03:02 PM) *
i have a small 5W Vox amp, i'll do some test with this one, and maybe get it with me to the pub

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:41 PM