Amps + Cold?, Does leaving amps in the cold damage them?
Sigfridsson
Jan 25 2009, 10:04 PM
GMC:er
Just as written in the topic description I'm trying to understand wether or not leaving some music equipment in the cold will damage it?

We are not speaking of extreme temperatures but the room I'm currently leaving my Amp + PA gets quite cold, I doubt it ever goes below 0°C or even gets close to that for that matter, and I always cover up the Amp, Speakers and mixer with some old sheets before we leave after playing.

Personally I always thought that the equipment would be able to handle temperatures like that quite well, I mean as long as the humidity is normal.
Either way reason I ask is just to not risk damaging the equipment!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sigfridsson: Jan 25 2009, 10:05 PM

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Eclipse I CTM Full Thickness, Ibanez RG470 with EMG81/85 pickups.
Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT XL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 25 2009, 10:10 PM
Instructor
Well the manual of the gear always has this kind of info mate. WHat gear do you have? We can check out if you wanna be certain.

Regardless of that, small note that I've never experienced that something broke down because it was on those temperatures. I've been in some studios where temperature was similar, but it all worked nicely. Tube amps might be a bit sensitive there cause they need to achieve high temperature for working properly, but that's about it. They might warm up a bit slower than usual.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jan 25 2009, 10:12 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jan 25 2009, 10:26 PM
if amps can handle a bit of rain, then they can handle a bit of cold as well....

do big bands stop their concerts because of cold?

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Sigfridsson
Jan 25 2009, 10:44 PM
The amp is the one you will find in my signature, as far as the PA system goes it's these speakers Speakers and this mixer

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 25 2009, 11:12 PM
Instructor
If it doesn't get under 0 celcius, I wouldn't be too worried smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 25 2009, 11:35 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Good question, something I`ve wondered myself from time to time, my guess would be the same as Ivans, and if it was a tube amp I`d bring it indoors, I dont use my amp/cab at home so I store them in my garage at home, I keep them covered with a blanket just in case, thats been for the best part of a year and not had any problems with them to date smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 25 2009, 11:51 PM
Instructor
Hmm, I've checked the manuals but there is no info about cold temperatures. Still, I don't think the devices will broke because of the cold. Extreme cold might do some damage, but I'm not sure what kind. I think humidity is far greater danger with electronic devices. It can be cold, but if it is dry there is no danger. On the other hand if the space is warm and full of moisture, there could be some condensations on the components. This will happen if the gear is hot, but again, I've seen a lot of gear working in the middle of the winter, in rainy weather, and everything was fine.

If you wanna make it certain, just cover the gear with per blanket or sheet, and it will definitely be OK.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 25 2009, 11:57 PM
Instructor
It's not that much about how low is the temperature
but how long it's gonna stay there.
I played few gigs below 0 and nothing went wrong,
probably because heat from the amp is making a balance or som.
But if you leave it for a week or longer there probably might be some
corrosion which would make problems.
Day or two above 0 should be no issue I guess. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Sigfridsson
Jan 26 2009, 12:45 AM
Yeah it's mainly just a question of not having to pack everything up every time and drag it downstairs!

However the amp might be smart to bring downstairs to the guys apartment, I mean it may not be a proper tube amp but it does have a tube in the poweramp section as far as I know!

You really reckon it would be that much of a problem, and wouldn't corrosion be more of a risk if the room was humid? I mean in the end I have my doubts that all these amps etc are always kept in heated storage rooms in your average music shop before sold?
If its really a risk do you reckon covering up the PA in blankets + putting them back in to the boxes they came with would be enough?

I mean in not too long the temperature wont even be that bad here anymore!

This post has been edited by Sigfridsson: Jan 26 2009, 01:02 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
29a
Jan 26 2009, 02:33 AM
The only problem I could see is thermal stress but Amps should be built to resist that. Just don't leave your guitar there. wink.gif

- Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Sigfridsson
Jan 26 2009, 11:36 AM
QUOTE (29a @ Jan 26 2009, 02:33 AM) *
The only problem I could see is thermal stress but Amps should be built to resist that. Just don't leave your guitar there. wink.gif

- Jonas

Hehe no worries, I wont, I wouldnt be too happy the neck warped slightly tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 26 2009, 11:52 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Don't leave it out in the snow unsure.gif

wink.gif

I think you will be rather fine as long as you don't go below 0C which could lead to damp when it warms up.
Ideal is of course room temperature so I can't say close to zero is ideal but I don' think it's that bad either, just less good than ideal rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Sigfridsson
Jan 26 2009, 01:00 PM
Aye, will just start bringing the amp downstairs from now on and keep it in roomstemperature, and we will just put blankets around the speakers and put them down the cardboard boxes they came with for now.. I mean it will only be for another month roughly that it will be "cold" here tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Jan 26 2009, 02:26 PM
How about advice from a guy who lives in a extremely cold part of the world. Here in North Dakota it's -24 below Fahrenheit that's -31 Celsius as I write this. I know these aren't the temps your talking about but I've been dealing with the cold and gear for years.

Amps - Most amps really don't have a problem. Anything above freezing won't harm a thing. The main problem is condensation if the amp is brought out of the cold into a warmer environment. If you have to do this I recommend leaving the amp covered until it's reached room temp. This isn't necessary if the temp is above freezing. Going from very cold to hot with a tubes will shorten the life of your tubes. I've never had tubes go bad during the warm months but it seams I'm always replacing a preamp tube during the cold months. But I live in a extreme environment and it's just something I deal with. Plastic gets brittle when cold so bumps on knobs, corners etc. can lead to breakage.

Guitars - This is a major deal. If your guitar has been in the back of a trailer on the way to a gig and it's below freezing and you take it into a warm environment this can cause real problems. Always bring your guitar in and let it warm up in the unopened case. This allows it to warm slowly causing less stress to your guitar.

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:31 AM