3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Avril Lavigne, lets analyse this guitarist
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 31 2007, 02:02 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Dec 31 2007, 04:10 AM) *
Personaly I think all this bashing of a pop singer on the worlds premier guitar website is a little odd to say the least. sad.gif

Most pop singers hold a fancy guitar, its just business after all. If she had claimed to be a killer guitarist, then maybe I could see why this discussion might take place. unsure.gif

I dunno I guess it just seems a little crazy to me considering the pages of top professional players we have discussed on this forum smile.gif

Just my two cents wink.gif

+1 - I totally agree!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Freddie Fourfing...
Dec 31 2007, 02:21 PM
GMC:er
I think that we all know you can't be everything to everybody. I've done my fair share of pop star bashing myself, but I'm done with that. There is a certain degree of talent in being able to figure out what masses of people like to hear, and she has done that along with her song writers. Unfortunately, you can probably find MORE people willing to take pot shots at musicians WE like than the other way around. That's just the way Pop Culture works, I guess. Steve Morse, Alan Holdsworth, Buckethead, Rusty, and so on will continue to display incredible musicianship, but the sheer numbers of their fan base will not equal Avril's or Justin's, etc. I don't think we'll see Buckethead on many lunch boxes and backpacks of middle schoolers.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit."
ARISTOTLE

+Quote Post
Goliath
Dec 31 2007, 03:19 PM
For all of you fawning over her song writing ability, the first single off her album found her in a lawsuit with the 70's power pop group the Rubinoos for being remarkably close to their single "Boyfriend". Ready, here's the chorus "Hey, You, I wanna be your boyfriend". Strange isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgXjnorJE5E

as for my opinion, my disgust is not with the musician who is profiting from their music, but for the record companies that use MTV and radio stations to literally force this stuff on people and make it popular. You ever hear a song on the top 40 radio station which you thought was absolutely miserable but it gets heavy airplay? That's not a top 40 song, but they're going to make it one through repetition. No, my disgust is for the public who buys into the 300 bands that sound like some hybrid of Nickelback/puddle of mudd/staind/etc which lets these musicians get away with using a tried and true formulaic approach to song writing. Of course pop is always going to be somewhat nauseating to any male over 18, but I won't fault her for making a living being a musician.

Pop music just reminds me of the old cliche

"Think about how stupid the 'average' person is, then realize that half of the population is dumber than him"

I mean look at those boy bands that were hot stuff at the turn of the century (the more recent turn of the century tongue.gif)...

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Freddie Fourfing...
Dec 31 2007, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure we're fawning, really. Just saying that she (they) can write for the masses. I agree that a lot of what is popular gets that way by design. That's why marketing and advertising is a profession in itself, I guess.

By the way, I like your food for thought at the end.

"Think about how stupid the 'average' person is, then realize that half of the population is dumber than him"

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit."
ARISTOTLE

+Quote Post
Overkiller
Dec 31 2007, 03:37 PM
When I see Avril Lavigne, and other Boybands..... It just makes me sick! Like, a great guitar player who practice 24/7, who does have a band and is really skilled, doesn't get famous, and then we have a good little boy who have a boyband and spend all day lookin' at himself in the mirror and singing Abba, is really famous and earn lots of money doing nothing, while the guitar player works his ass off and don't even get a gig... Is that fair?? I hate the freakin' media these days... sad.gif The music industry only cares about what stupid teenagers buys, and not about quality. It's about money, not good music. When it comes to music, the world is not fair at all. sad.gif

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 31 2007, 07:30 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Dec 31 2007, 05:10 AM) *
Personaly I think all this bashing of a pop singer on the worlds premier guitar website is a little odd to say the least. sad.gif

Most pop singers hold a fancy guitar, its just business after all. If she had claimed to be a killer guitarist, then maybe I could see why this discussion might take place. unsure.gif

I dunno I guess it just seems a little crazy to me considering the pages of top professional players we have discussed on this forum smile.gif

Just my two cents wink.gif

Very well said Matt and I couldn't agree more with you.

I am by no means a fan of Avril but I must give her props. Whether you like her or not she's living the dream a lot of us have in the sense that she's making a living out of her music. It might not be your taste in music but there are people out there that like her and pay money for her work. There is a obviously a market for her style of music so I say don't hate the player, hate the game.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Dec 31 2007, 10:27 PM
QUOTE (Overkiller @ Dec 31 2007, 08:37 AM) *
When I see Avril Lavigne, and other Boybands..... It just makes me sick! Like, a great guitar player who practice 24/7, who does have a band and is really skilled, doesn't get famous, and then we have a good little boy who have a boyband and spend all day lookin' at himself in the mirror and singing Abba, is really famous and earn lots of money doing nothing, while the guitar player works his ass off and don't even get a gig... Is that fair?? I hate the freakin' media these days... sad.gif The music industry only cares about what stupid teenagers buys, and not about quality. It's about money, not good music. When it comes to music, the world is not fair at all. sad.gif

YEAH i hate the media too mad.gif mad.gif

QUOTE (rokchik @ Dec 31 2007, 12:30 PM) *
I say don't hate the player, hate the game.

sad but true sad.gif ... but i hate both tongue.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jan 3 2008, 06:39 PM
QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ Dec 24 2007, 02:01 PM) *
to achieve the avril effect you....
get your rich mummy to buy you a fender tele without even playing it first, just the most expensive one you see on the shelf
dye your hair with stupid colour
cover all the scenary with walls and walls of black cabs that say MARSHALL on
more importantly, you need to remove both of your testicles if you have any to start with and start learning how to whine like a retarded cat

chops:
power chord
hmmm,
power chord?
songs to download now:
...... meow meow meowwwwww!

so there you go ladies and gentlement, the avril lavigne guitarist analysis smile.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

ya i think all her music sucks too man.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:37 PM