> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Mhskeide's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 10 2020, 03:36 PM
Instructor
Yeah! And you received very valuable feedback there! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Feb 27 2020, 03:50 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 10 2020, 03:36 PM) *
Yeah! And you received very valuable feedback there! smile.gif

Howdy! Just checking in smile.gif

It`s mostly band practice these days and a lot of work, so not much time for GMC lessons. I fear Mars will also look bad, but hopefully I can get something out.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 28 2020, 03:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Feb 27 2020, 11:50 AM) *
Howdy! Just checking in smile.gif

It`s mostly band practice these days and a lot of work, so not much time for GMC lessons. I fear Mars will also look bad, but hopefully I can get something out.

Hi mate! Thanks for the update! Band practice sounds good! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Mar 2 2020, 10:56 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 28 2020, 03:35 PM) *
Hi mate! Thanks for the update! Band practice sounds good! biggrin.gif

Yes, we are finally starting to put together something that feels like a set list, and are hoping to play our first show sometime the next 3 months. I only need to get the bass player to start reading my tabs and practicing with metronome, such that he learns the song on his own as well. Stoner bass players are not the most efficient biggrin.gif

Regarding band practice, I do face one of my weak playing spots after years without a proper band: I seem to always be just a millisecond before the metronome/drummer, og right on the beat, but in sludge metal as we play, the music benefits of being a bit more "laid back". I don`t really have the correct translation, but do you understand what I mean? Any tips on how to improve on this when practicing at home?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 5 2020, 01:42 PM
Instructor
That sounds great mate!

Practicing with metronome and over drums at home should be the key here. Try to to it stand out as you do during the rehearsal, and record yourself to check later your timing.

This exercise is also very powerful:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Mar 25 2020, 09:54 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Thanks for the tip, will definitely check out! I am also practising Gojira-Backbone and the holy grail of downpicking songs; Master of Puppets, so hopefully I will get my sync and tightness a level up the next weeks!

Meanwhile, here`s some 80s rock for you: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...p=0&#entry0 biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 27 2020, 03:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Mar 25 2020, 05:54 PM) *
Thanks for the tip, will definitely check out! I am also practising Gojira-Backbone and the holy grail of downpicking songs; Master of Puppets, so hopefully I will get my sync and tightness a level up the next weeks!

Meanwhile, here`s some 80s rock for you: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...p=0&#entry0 biggrin.gif

Great! I've just commented it there! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Apr 29 2020, 10:23 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hellu! How are you?

1 REC a month is certainly not ideal, but far better than none a month, right? smile.gif
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...p=0&#entry0

My vibrato quest continues. I must admit, this is not my best take as I was tired and a bit stressed, but I`ve had some computer/recording issues lately, and just wanted to have _something_ out. But I hope the great instructors at GMC can find something to help me further, regardless of it being my best or second best take wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 1 2020, 11:38 PM
Instructor
Graded and commented! Check it out!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jun 22 2020, 08:18 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Seems to work again biggrin.gif
No idea what went wrong when attempting to write the last message.

Regarding the way forward, I`d like to discuss changing it up a bit.

The last months, my primary focus areas have been dynamics, vibrato and bending, and I have basically just picked lessons targeting this.
I am not close to done improving those areas, nor will I ever be probably. But I feel I`ve improved "enough" for now, and want to expand my practice regime.

Could we try a more "mentor driven" approach as we had when we started out years ago (yeah, I`ve been around some time at GMC biggrin.gif )? Where you more or less give me homework? I remember examples from the past being analysis of songs, solos using specific guidelines etc.

My motivation of asking is that I feel you can better see which areas I should focus on improving to become a better player. And as I like to dabble in various genres as rock/blues/metal/funk, my overall goal is to become as good and versatile a player as I can.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 22 2020, 03:28 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Sure! Let's go for it!!

Please share here 5 of your favorite guitarists, 5 of your favorite songs, and if possible 2 jams over different backing tracks. (blues & rock, or blues & funk).

I've been checking your recent REC takes, and one of the main elements that can be improved in both your rhythm and solo playing is groove. This made me think that your playing would really benefit by learning some funk stuff. What do you think of learning this lesson during this first week?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Pop-Funk-Rhythms/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jul 2 2020, 12:57 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 22 2020, 03:28 PM) *
Hi mate! Sure! Let's go for it!!

Please share here 5 of your favorite guitarists, 5 of your favorite songs, and if possible 2 jams over different backing tracks. (blues & rock, or blues & funk).

I've been checking your recent REC takes, and one of the main elements that can be improved in both your rhythm and solo playing is groove. This made me think that your playing would really benefit by learning some funk stuff. What do you think of learning this lesson during this first week?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Pop-Funk-Rhythms/

Boy, just 5 would be hard, since I listen to a lot of genres. I`ll give the question some rounds in the head and return shortly. Had a busy week before going to vacation, so I have some more time on my hands now smile.gif

I`ll take a look on the funk lesson meanwhile. Can never get enough funk, of which I play far too little!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 2 2020, 02:09 PM
Instructor
10? biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jul 6 2020, 06:21 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Lists like this are always hard, but I tried to come with a few names. These are not necessarily the players whom I listen the most to, nor the ones that have influenced the most so far.
But when I dream about what I could play with the guitar, these are some of the players that makes me think "wow, I want to do that!", when I hear them!

• John Petrucci (The shred part is fun, but my fave solos of JP are the melodic ones)
  • Nick Johnston (Same as above, his records are great, as he limits his own shredding)
  • Brian May
  • Gary Moore
  • The chronological "triangle" of John Mayer -> Stevie Ray Vaughan -> Albert King
  • Rabea Massaad (Which implicitly means Nuno Bettencourt, as his solo playing is heavily Nuno influenced)
  • Marty Friedman
  • Åkerfeldt/Fredrik Åkesson (the "new" Opeth)
  • Bulb/Misha Mansoor/Periphery (Both solo and riffing)
  • Kelliher/Hinds (Mastodon, both solo and riffing)
  • Knut Reiersrud (Norwegian blues player)

Also, some honorable mentions for riff meisters, as I listen to and play with my band a lot of sludge metal and riff based stuff:
  • Gojira
  • YOB
  • Baroness
  • Meshuggah

Ended up with top 11!

4 tracks with good guitar parts that came to mind:
  • Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human (Both the track and entire album)
  • Dream Theater - Best Of Times
  • Opeth - Lovelorn Crime
  • Philip Sayce - Morning Star

A lot of modern/contemporary guys in there, and this list probably doesn`t represent all of me. But lists are hard sometimes tongue.gif

Gonna try record some jams now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jul 6 2020, 07:05 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Not my best jam, nor my worst jam, but I wanted to put something up as quick as could. Did not film this one to save time. Let me know if you want me to film my next.

I`d give myself a 5/10 on this one.

I`ll try something less ballady for the next.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  semi_sloppy_blues_nam.mp3 ( 2.41MB ) Number of downloads: 128

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 7 2020, 02:31 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! That's a very cool list! Let's start with our weekly routines.

Most of those guitarists are great improvisation and/or following the chords, and off course their playing is very tasty and full of expressing elements. However, they also have that shreddy side that even in the most melodic solos appear.

I would like to hear you jamming over this one, it can be a short jam. And please write down what do you think when playing over this chords. What elements do you use? Do you know caged system

Besides this, let's work on a melodic lesson. This is one of my suggestions:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Ballad...s-And-Phrasing/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Ballad...ics-phrasing-2/

Finally, we'll get into this song:

Please write down chord progressions and structure.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jul 12 2020, 10:29 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Alright, here comes a couple of bullet points to assess the questions/comments above. Sorry in advance for a long post!

Lesson currently practiced - Diego`s "Pop Funk Rhythms"
I hear your comment about lacking "groove", and I certainly want to be a groovy player, so I immediately went to work with this. It`s not REC-ready yet, but this is what I got today:
https://youtu.be/cvoxjqOcQRc

I am in the middle of my summer vacay, so I`ve been away this week, and I will go away again tomorrow. I`ll bring a guitar, but not sure how much practice I can get, thus late replies.

Regarding the lesson, these are (amongst) the things I am not happy with yet, and focusing on:
- Tightness/synchronisation between hands in the riff in 0:0-0:20
- Tone. Diego`s tone is way more compressed (?) and funky. Tips for achieving this?
- The lick at 0:21. Having trouble doing it fluently right after the chords.
- And immediately rushing the next chords after that lick

Other things you hear/see?

Regularity of check ins and expectations
We (I) can certainly aim for weekly routines, but with a full time job and a band, I know there will be weeks where I can`t do much "Magnus guitar time", as I try to priorize the band over my "solo practice", if forced to. This is why I`ve fallen of the mentor program before. But let`s aim for weekly work in progress updates (me recording something), and I`ll try to at least check in with a status update, if I don`t have something new. If nothing else, it can serve as a diary for me, though not as interesting for you smile.gif Just wanted to set some realistic expectations for myself.

Regarding list of players, and riffing vs. shredding
Soloing is nice, and I listed mostly solo players. That said: A song is rarely just a solo, so I also want a good focus on rhythm and riffing, as with this first lesson (pop funk rhythms). And my band has NO SOLOS blink.gif ...yet.
Can probably work out a balance between rhythm and soloing, going forward.

Improv over little wing
I`ve attached the file of a couple of minutes of jam. I´d give myself a 6/10 for that one.
I SHOULD be thinking more about the chords and target/landing notes, but that always ruins the flow for me.
What I TRY to do, is to combine a melody I have in my head with notes outside the pentatonic scale to have more flavour. I feel that this is working well sometimes, and sometimes it just fades out to nothing...
What I MISS: A larger lick library, enabling me to better build up intensity and use my technique. I feel like I`m just cruising around in third gear, not sure how to accelerate without ruining the flow with a generic pentatonic lick.

Work forward
As mentioned, I`m away next week, not knowing how much I`m able to play. So I`ll focus on the pop funk-lesson for now. I`ll start looking into the other lessons, and Remarkably Human when I`m done travelling after a week. I`m both really excited and scared to start analyzing and learning Nick Johnston, as he is a super human to me biggrin.gif

Again, sorry for the long post. I`m a long post writer. Have a great week!

Also... I don`t really know CAGED, except its named being derived from the chords C-A-G-E-D. Don`t know how to "use" it, at least.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 7 2020, 02:31 PM) *
Hi mate! That's a very cool list! Let's start with our weekly routines.

Most of those guitarists are great improvisation and/or following the chords, and off course their playing is very tasty and full of expressing elements. However, they also have that shreddy side that even in the most melodic solos appear.

I would like to hear you jamming over this one, it can be a short jam. And please write down what do you think when playing over this chords. What elements do you use? Do you know caged system

Besides this, let's work on a melodic lesson. This is one of my suggestions:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Ballad...s-And-Phrasing/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Ballad...ics-phrasing-2/

Finally, we'll get into this song:

Please write down chord progressions and structure.

This post has been edited by mhskeide: Jul 12 2020, 10:30 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Little_Wing_Jam.mp3 ( 3.21MB ) Number of downloads: 118

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2020, 03:19 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for the complete update!! smile.gif

Regularity of check ins and expectations
I think that your plan sounds very good. We can arrange weekly routines so you know what to practice, and you can set the goal of sharing your progress here. I think that it's better to chose lessons and material that you really love, so I can suggest ideas that cover the topics you need to work, but please always go for those lessons that you really like, or share here another similar that you have in mind.

Regarding list of players, and riffing vs. shredding
Goo thinking! And be sure that all the rhythm work that you do will affect your soloing as well. That funk lesson will provide groove to everything you play!

Lesson currently practiced - Diego`s "Pop Funk Rhythms"
GREAT choice!

Besides everything you notice, I can say that you need to let that right hand move smoother and more relaxed. Notice how your hand and arm look more tense compared to Diego's, and how he makes the movement from his wrist wider. The key is to try to relax the whole body, and "dance" with the groove. It's not an easy job to keep everything sound good and do it, but this should be your goal.

Regarding tone, yes! Diego's tone is very compressed, has more attack, and highs. Have you tried using the 4th position pickup?

Some inspiration:

Improv over little wing
Nice! The next step should be to make this jam sound less scaly and more melodic and connected with chords.
Following the chords with triads can be the next task. Do you know triads all along the neck?

Work forward

Ok! Enjoy your vacation!! Looking forward your Johnston's analysis!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jul 23 2020, 03:26 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 13 2020, 03:19 PM) *
Besides everything you notice, I can say that you need to let that right hand move smoother and more relaxed. Notice how your hand and arm look more tense compared to Diego's, and how he makes the movement from his wrist wider. The key is to try to relax the whole body, and "dance" with the groove. It's not an easy job to keep everything sound good and do it, but this should be your goal.

Regarding tone, yes! Diego's tone is very compressed, has more attack, and highs. Have you tried using the 4th position pickup?

Let`s start this week`s check in with an admission.

I have made a bad habit over the years of posting incomplete RECs. Meaning that I know I have improvement points... I just haven`t bother practicing enough, and want some sort of appreciation for my playing probably.

With this reboot, I`ll try to avoid that, and rather post a weekly Work in progress (WIP) video for you. Both as an update to you, and a way for me to force myself to share something that is not perfect (granted, none of my RECs are perfect anyways biggrin.gif ).

Here is a WIP (work in progress) take 2 of the "Pop Funk Rhythms"-lesson:
https://youtu.be/zjEwnci9b8Y

Sorry for the bad angle. Didn`t double check. What you don`t see properly is my right hand, which you said look tense. Which was 100% true. I´ve tried relaxing it the last week, and think I`ve done so successfully. At least it doesn`t cramp up, even though I have been practicing a lot. The lick at 0:22 is still making me nervous as I struggle to transition between a relaxed right hand and picking grip, to a more firm grip ensuring I pull the lick off. I`ve spent hours with the metronome the last week, but I`m getting there. I`ve almost forgetting the feeling of tirelessly practicing the same stuff over and over again, so it`s about time I get into it again!

I feel I have the lessong 80% down now (which used to be my standard for making a REC tongue.gif ). Besides the above, I will focus on this:
- Consistent attack/level of the right hand, as inspired by the Cory Wong video
- Avoiding unwanted string noise
- Making sure all notes ring out in chords

I used the Cory Wong Neutral DSP plugin for this one, which even have a compressor called "the 4th position compressor", and I think my tone is better here. But it is very unforgiving, and gives nothing back which I am used to with distortion.

Do you hear/notice anything else I should focus on?

Improv over little wing
Nice! The next step should be to make this jam sound less scaly and more melodic and connected with chords.
Following the chords with triads can be the next task. Do you know triads all along the neck?

Sounds like very reasonable steps! I know what a triad is in theory, but I must admit I am no where close to using it fluently in my playing. At least not my improv. The last weeks, I`ve incorporated into my warm up routine to play the major triad in all its inversion over the neck, to start learning the chords shapes wherever I am. I will also start doing it with the minor triad.
Does this sound somewhat smart, or do you have another/better approach?

Work forward

Ok! Enjoy your vacation!! Looking forward your Johnston's analysis!

Besides being away last week (though I brought my guitar and got a few hours of practice), I`ve also been sick, so I haven`t done much but practicing the above lesson, and jamming for myself. Also, I`ve probably postponed it unconsciously since it is a monster of a song, and I`m bad at analyzing tongue.gif
But I`ll start now and try to do it iteratively!

Okay, that`s it then for now. Take care smile.gif

This post has been edited by mhskeide: Jul 23 2020, 03:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 24 2020, 03:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Jul 23 2020, 11:26 AM) *
Do you hear/notice anything else I should focus on?

Hi mate! Great analysis! I agree with everything you say here. I can confirm that your tone is cooler for this style. I've tried that plug in and it's perfect for funk! That compressor is awesome.

I notice improvements regarding the previous take, and this proofs that you need to continue practicing, mostly to be able to relax your hands more, and make your left hand chord/triad changes even smoother. It's a tricky lesson, it will take some time, but it will affect your whole playing.

Sounds like very reasonable steps! I know what a triad is in theory, but I must admit I am no where close to using it fluently in my playing. At least not my improv. The last weeks, I`ve incorporated into my warm up routine to play the major triad in all its inversion over the neck, to start learning the chords shapes wherever I am. I will also start doing it with the minor triad.
Does this sound somewhat smart, or do you have another/better approach?

That's a perfect approach. You can also practice applying them to chord progressions, starting with 2 chords. 2 Major chords, 2 minor chords, 1 major and 1 minor, and then to longer chord progressions. In other words, you would be connecting different triads.

Let's say that you play over these two chords: A - G

You play one measure with A major triads, and the second one you switch to G major triads.

Does it make sense?

Besides being away last week (though I brought my guitar and got a few hours of practice), I`ve also been sick, so I haven`t done much but practicing the above lesson, and jamming for myself. Also, I`ve probably postponed it unconsciously since it is a monster of a song, and I`m bad at analyzing tongue.gif
But I`ll start now and try to do it iteratively!

Start by analyzing only 1 section and share it here. It can be the intro, or first verse. You don't need to get into the whole song by once.

This is a bit long but maybe you'll enjoy it: https://open.spotify.com/episode/6UhDhmvrt8...WRH61HBlnDhtt-A

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:31 PM