> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

14 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Chris S.'s Music Theory Journey, for Gab's Army
Chris S.
May 10 2016, 08:51 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Gab - I can't wait to see how this further develops. The only song I have heard from Sixx Am is "Rise" and I really liked it! I will have to check them out for sure!

I want to set a goal for myself, to be completed by the end of summer before I go back to school for the fall semester.

I remember seeing this lesson so many years ago, and it really made we want to learn how to play the guitar:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...te-solo-lesson/

So I want to honor that by being able to play it! This is my first impression after only about 20 minutes of practicing it - so don't expect too much tongue.gif

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/hastefi

Before I spend any time on it - do you honestly feel this is a goal that I could accomplish in the next three or four months at my currently playing level?

ALSO:

Thanks for the correct thirds - I now see what I did. I was correct in determining the Minor/Major chord scale for the G Minor Scale but I still messed up figuring out the thirds on my piano - but I now see what I did wrong.

smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Chris S.: May 10 2016, 08:53 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 11 2016, 12:16 AM
Instructor
That's a cool solo lesson. It has some tricky passages that you'll need to isolate and practice a lot over metronome. This is a not a lesson that you'll master playing it over an over. It's a lesson that you'll master if you work diary on the tricky parts during the first 2 months, and then work on connecting everything during the second two months...

What do you think?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 11 2016, 12:58 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 10 2016, 11:16 PM) *
That's a cool solo lesson. It has some tricky passages that you'll need to isolate and practice a lot over metronome. This is a not a lesson that you'll master playing it over an over. It's a lesson that you'll master if you work diary on the tricky parts during the first 2 months, and then work on connecting everything during the second two months...

What do you think?

Deal! I'm gonna push myself to accomplish this smile.gif

Also I spent some more time on Imperfections:

https://m.soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/imperfections-rough-draft-two

I also came up with a pre chorus (when the heavy guitars come in) and a chorus:

Pre chorus:

So perfect, so perfect
Don't you see that they feed off our insecurities
Is it worth it? Is it worth it! NO!
I won't believe so

Chorus:

Stand up! Convince the world
Nobody's perfect
Rise up! Defend yourself 'cause
Nobody's perfect

Stand up! Show the world
It's not worth it
Rise up! Accept all of your
Imperfections

smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 11 2016, 04:54 PM
Instructor
Great mate! I like how both things are evolving. I've already said that the song sounds very powerful and promising. I'm anxious to hear the vocals that you have in mind for this one.

It's also good to know that you accepted the deal. Please keep me updated. Share a video of you playing the tricky parts in 1 week to let me check if there is anything about

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 11 2016, 08:02 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 11 2016, 03:54 PM) *
Great mate! I like how both things are evolving. I've already said that the song sounds very powerful and promising. I'm anxious to hear the vocals that you have in mind for this one.

It's also good to know that you accepted the deal. Please keep me updated. Share a video of you playing the tricky parts in 1 week to let me check if there is anything about

Sounds good, man!

I'm surprised at how well I am playing the small sweep right before the end, but that very last part with the multi-sweeps and tapping is going be the death of me tongue.gif

I'll keep you posted smile.gif

Random question: How/where did you guys come up with the name Cirse and does it stand for/translate to anything?

Just curious smile.gif

ALSO:

Getting to the final stages, added some synths and reworking the chorus lyrics:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/imperfections-revised

This post has been edited by Chris S.: May 12 2016, 02:48 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 12 2016, 11:41 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, nice arrangement for the chorus! Good job. This is evolving great.

Honestly, at first I liked how the word "Cirse" sounds, but the real meaning is that it's the name of a flower... check it out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirsium_vulgare

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 17 2016, 07:05 PM
Learning Roadie
As promised - my first progress video of the Haste lesson, minus the final sweeping section:

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 18 2016, 08:01 PM
Instructor
Hi Chris,

This take is very promising. You start to look comfortable playing those licks. Continue practicing with this things in mind:

- Be careful with timing, you tend to go a bit after the bit, mostly in the first phrases.
- the legato doesn't sound smooth with the backing track. It sounds good when playing it solo.
- Try to make your vibrato more consistent, more regular.

The mini sweep sounds great!

Keep on the hard work.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 19 2016, 05:51 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks man! You're words mean a lot, I feel like I can actually pull this off biggrin.gif

I will practice more over the original lesson to try and stay in time with Sean - and then begin transitioning over to using just the backing track.

I will post another video in a week or two smile.gif

Just for clarification - what did you mean exactly by making sure my vibrato is more consistent? Should it be wider, or is it just too shaky and uneven?

Thanks man!

PS

I took a hike with my girlfriend yesterday at Ricketts Glenn State Park - this is what the back yards of Pennsylvania look like:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Very inspiring smile.gif

EDIT:

For whatever reason I'm not happy with Goodbye - it just isn't sitting well with me so I have decided to have some fun with it, and I kind of like the new direction tongue.gif

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/goodbye-remix-idea

This post has been edited by Chris S.: May 19 2016, 11:01 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 20 2016, 02:39 PM
Instructor
Hi Chris!

That's a beautiful place, very inspiring! smile.gif

About vibrato, I mean more regular, more connected with the backing's groove. It tends to be weak and irregular.

Regarding the song in progress. In this new audio I feel that the sound of each element is in a different world. Guitars are more "vintage", drums are modern, and vocals are more "classical" "orquestal". There are also timing issues that make everything sound untight. You need to decide a clear direction and take each element closer to it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 31 2016, 02:48 AM
Learning Roadie
I was messing around yesterday and decided to work on a more "cinematic" piece:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/and-then-i-found-you-instrumental-idea

The idea was this dreadful life/existence, but then finding someone who changes all of that - which explains the sudden change halfway through.

Listening to it now, I think I will split them into two different pieces. One horror, one more hopeful.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 31 2016, 02:24 PM
Instructor
Hi Chris, both sections sound GREAT! This is very promising mate. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 31 2016, 10:25 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Gab!

I started working on the final sweep in the Haste lesson and oh boy does that put the mini sweep to shame! tongue.gif

Definitely going to be a while for that one wink.gif

This post has been edited by Chris S.: May 31 2016, 11:10 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 1 2016, 04:02 PM
Instructor
haha ok! take your time to get familiar with it! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jun 3 2016, 01:22 AM
Learning Roadie
So this is my first shot at the final sweeps:

I am more comfortable with the second sweep vs the first sweep so I feel I will master this one sooner.

For the first sweep, do you feel this is the right fingering for the sweep shape? Barre with my ring finger?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 3 2016, 02:51 PM
Instructor
Hi Chris, two things:

You need to practice this one, as a loop using metronome but increasing tempo gradually. Don't jump from slow to fast, practice at all in between tempos to slowly become familiar with the motion.

Check out how the instructor in the video does the sweep over the neck to be able to reach the tapping. That's the only way to play this lick at that speed.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jun 8 2016, 01:08 AM
Learning Roadie
I have begun implementing these suggestions into my practice! smile.gif

ALSO:

I took your advice on the Goodbye Remake - how it was all over the place.

What do you think of the new direction? Personally, I like how the guitars hit you real hard near the end!

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/goodbye-remake-rough-draft

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 9 2016, 03:32 PM
Instructor
Hi Chris! Yeah! I really like the new direction and how the guitars hit when they appear. I think that this just need some polishing, be careful with the note choices of the clean solo responses in the beginning, and off course we need a deep bass guitar when the distortion appears.

This is very promising. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jun 13 2016, 12:04 AM
Learning Roadie
Almost there!

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/goodbye-remake-almost-final

I added some more orchestral items and re-structured the outro.

Still no bass for those parts, I have a buddy working on a real bass track instead of a sample.

smile.gif

Two questions:

1.) How is the sibilance of the vocals?

2.) Do you like the new ending or do you think the original of the crash and car alarm was better?

Thanks mate!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 13 2016, 04:38 PM
Instructor
Hi Chris, nice!

I think that vocals sound good on this mix, I don't find an issue related to sibilance. About the ending, this new one sounds like more "profesional", more like a real song. However I also like the other one, since it still impacts me every time I hear it. No matter which one you choose, it will be ok!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:14 AM