Advice For Learning Every Scale And Key
Spenser
Feb 26 2024, 07:44 AM
GMC:er
a long time goal for me has been to know how to use any scale in any key on the guitar, any advice on where to start?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 26 2024, 06:59 PM
GMC Founder
Hey Spenser,

This is a very cool topic!

Learning how to use *any* is pretty much impossible since there so many.

But learning the most common ones, ie the major (and its seven modes), as well as maybe harmonic minor and melodic minor scales. Is not only doable but a cool long term goal.

Since the scales have seven modes each, and there are twelve keys - we are already talking about:

(7 * 12) * 3 = 252 scales / keys

Before giving you more specific advice- would you like to tell me what music you are into and if you know any scales yet? 🤗

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spenser
Feb 27 2024, 01:15 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 26 2024, 05:59 PM) *
Hey Spenser,

This is a very cool topic!

Learning how to use *any* is pretty much impossible since there so many.

But learning the most common ones, ie the major (and its seven modes), as well as maybe harmonic minor and melodic minor scales. Is not only doable but a cool long term goal.

Since the scales have seven modes each, and there are twelve keys - we are already talking about:

(7 * 12) * 3 = 252 scales / keys

Before giving you more specific advice- would you like to tell me what music you are into and if you know any scales yet? 🤗

i don't know any scales yet but i know all the notes on the guitar if that's useful, i really love progressive metal and groove metal like mastadon, gojira, machine head and pantera laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 27 2024, 07:49 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hi Spenser!

I agree with Kris, learning how to use "any" would be quite a hard task. Also, no matter how much and how faster you can learn, if you don't use them frequently, the probability of forgetting them is quite high.

Looking at the bands that you wrote, I already see a combination of minor, phrygian, drop tuning, etc. biggrin.gif

Besides the particular advice that Kris will give you (regarding your musical preferences), I would also like to give you a few tips.

1. Because there will be a lot of information to learn, my advice is to focus and get used to each scale before going further. Understanding the sound and structure of a scale is important for applying it musically.

2. If you will play the scales up and down, it will soon become very boring and that's why I recommend you to make this practice more enjoyable. After you have learned the shape, play the scale starting from different points, going in different directions, play around with the notes in different patterns (notes sequence), different rhythm, etc. In this way, besides the fact that you will have more fun while learning, you will also create your own licks on each scale and you can incorporate them into your own style/music.
The whole idea is, every time you learn a scale, to apply it in a musical context. This is the key to making the information stick in your mind. Every time you will hear a chord you will already have an idea of what notes you should play.

In the end I will let you the link where you can find some awesome theory lessons made by Andrew:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3351

+Quote Post
Spenser
Feb 27 2024, 09:26 AM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Feb 27 2024, 06:49 AM) *
Hi Spenser!

I agree with Kris, learning how to use "any" would be quite a hard task. Also, no matter how much and how faster you can learn, if you don't use them frequently, the probability of forgetting them is quite high.

Looking at the bands that you wrote, I already see a combination of minor, phrygian, drop tuning, etc. biggrin.gif

Besides the particular advice that Kris will give you (regarding your musical preferences), I would also like to give you a few tips.

1. Because there will be a lot of information to learn, my advice is to focus and get used to each scale before going further. Understanding the sound and structure of a scale is important for applying it musically.

2. If you will play the scales up and down, it will soon become very boring and that's why I recommend you to make this practice more enjoyable. After you have learned the shape, play the scale starting from different points, going in different directions, play around with the notes in different patterns (notes sequence), different rhythm, etc. In this way, besides the fact that you will have more fun while learning, you will also create your own licks on each scale and you can incorporate them into your own style/music.
The whole idea is, every time you learn a scale, to apply it in a musical context. This is the key to making the information stick in your mind. Every time you will hear a chord you will already have an idea of what notes you should play.

In the end I will let you the link where you can find some awesome theory lessons made by Andrew:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3351

ahh i see! i will try to apply the method you suggested for learning the scales that are in the music i listen to, i can see how it would be less motivational to randomly learn scales that i wouldnt use, thank you smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 27 2024, 10:29 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Spenser @ Feb 27 2024, 01:15 AM) *
i don't know any scales yet but i know all the notes on the guitar if that's useful, i really love progressive metal and groove metal like mastadon, gojira, machine head and pantera laugh.gif

It's awesome that you know all the note names on the guitar Spenser!

If you don't know any scales yet, I would advise you first get familiar with the pentatonic scale. It is the most important scale in rock (almost any genre of rock btw!):

Once you master it - you can easily make it sound brutal by adding a few notes, for example a personal favorite of mine is what I like to call the Dorian b5:

ALso Monica, gave you some killer advice as to how you can approach starting to learn scales.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:14 PM