Quick Fix For Better Video Quality
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 10 2023, 01:21 PM
GMC Founder
I just added an extra photo lamp from above and managed to increase my selfie video quality quite a bit.

Before:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtEXqHVqYgK/...zRlODBiNWFlZA==

After:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtRJt3NKJys/...zRlODBiNWFlZA==

Here you can see the photo lamp in action:

Attached Image

The above is not not a pro lightning in any way, I bought three of them for like $50 from a cheap web store.

NB to clarify - I also use other lamps, but this post is just to show you the difference the additional light makes

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 11 2023, 08:03 AM
Learning Tone Master
You know, in the last 6 months I have been thinking about the same move. I wasn't sure how well this would work with my black background.

The difference between your videos is huge. The extra lamp makes a killer job!!! smile.gif I will definitely make the same upgrade as you. smile.gif
BTW...from my point of view, I think a little tweak to the lights angle can help you avoid the reflection in glasses when you move your head.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Jun 11 2023, 08:03 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 11 2023, 10:56 AM
GMC Founder
Ah interesting, yes maybe move them further to the sides? As it is here I have light sources coming at me at 45 degree angle (on each side)

I am pretty sure you would increase video quality even with your black backdrop - because we would get to see the contour of you and the guitar. And if you wear anything but black it will probably be even more noticeable. Would be very interesting to see the result if you try this out!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 11 2023, 02:07 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 11 2023, 09:56 AM) *
Ah interesting, yes maybe move them further to the sides? As it is here I have light sources coming at me at 45 degree angle (on each side)

I am pretty sure you would increase video quality even with your black backdrop - because we would get to see the contour of you and the guitar. And if you wear anything but black it will probably be even more noticeable. Would be very interesting to see the result if you try this out!

You can try moving the lights further to the side and see what is happening. From what I know, to get rid of the reflection in glasses, the lights should be above the eye line.
You need to experiment, but I think all you need to do is to place the light source a little higher (of course, if your light stands allow you this option). Let the same lights come at you at 45 degrees but raise the stands a little and angle them 45 degrees down.
To test which is the perfect high for the stand, you can turn on a flashlight (at lower level) and see how high you need to raise your hand to not let the light glare in your glasses.

I also want to increase my video quality. I realized that to bring my videos to nowadays standards, I need first to change my old camera. sad.gif Probably I will not be able to make this step so soon, but definitely a new camera and the extra photo light that I saw at you are on my "to buy" list. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 11 2023, 03:19 PM
GMC Founder
Are you sure about the camera?

I have found that even older iphones are able to produce killer results with good lighting!

This was shot with the front/selfie camera on iphone 11 pro (that’s basically a web cam)

Very cool tips btw Monica, will experiment.

One issue is that I need lighting under the table where I sit to propely light up the guitar.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 11 2023, 05:32 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 11 2023, 02:19 PM) *
Are you sure about the camera?

I have found that even older iphones are able to produce killer results with good lighting!

This was shot with the front/selfie camera on iphone 11 pro (that’s basically a web cam)

Very cool tips btw Monica, will experiment.

One issue is that I need lighting under the table where I sit to propely light up the guitar.

Yes, you are right, you would need an additional light for the guitar.

I'm sure about the camera. I have a Canon 1100D and I don't know why I had in mind that it could record full HD.
I upgrade my PC (still not finished) and I did some tests on different configurations, different monitors (brands, sizes 24", 27", etc.), different connectivity. Because I had some quality issues regarding my videos from the camera, after two weeks of learning, doing experiments, annoying my husband and one of his friends from IT, as a last idea yesterday, I verified what my camera can do and guess what.....can record only HD.

My smartphone records very bad videos. It's a dinosaur compared with your iPhone 11 pro. laugh.gif
I was never a fan of the new phones (are too big tongue.gif ) and that's why I never wanted to invest money in buying a good one. Believe me, I think I was the last one on this earth who switched from a simple mobile phone to a touchscreen one. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 11 2023, 05:42 PM
GMC Founder
Hehe ok I see,

Just to clarify, if you use the main camera (not the selfie cam like I did here). You can probably get away with iphone 8

But either way a dslr or similar will of course be vastly superior

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jun 11 2023, 11:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jun 11 2023, 06:32 PM) *
Yes, you are right, you would need an additional light for the guitar.

I'm sure about the camera. I have a Canon 1100D and I don't know why I had in mind that it could record full HD.
I upgrade my PC (still not finished) and I did some tests on different configurations, different monitors (brands, sizes 24", 27", etc.), different connectivity. Because I had some quality issues regarding my videos from the camera, after two weeks of learning, doing experiments, annoying my husband and one of his friends from IT, as a last idea yesterday, I verified what my camera can do and guess what.....can record only HD.

My smartphone records very bad videos. It's a dinosaur compared with your iPhone 11 pro. laugh.gif
I was never a fan of the new phones (are too big tongue.gif ) and that's why I never wanted to invest money in buying a good one. Believe me, I think I was the last one on this earth who switched from a simple mobile phone to a touchscreen one. laugh.gif

I'm daily thinking about going back to my old Nokia 6300 laugh.gif Mostly because I miss physical buttons. My smart phone was about 150 euros 2 years ago. I know that newer phones are nice and all, but I just can't get myself to buy a new expensive one laugh.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 12 2023, 06:45 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Storm Linnebjerg @ Jun 11 2023, 10:27 PM) *
I'm daily thinking about going back to my old Nokia 6300 laugh.gif Mostly because I miss physical buttons. My smart phone was about 150 euros 2 years ago. I know that newer phones are nice and all, but I just can't get myself to buy a new expensive one laugh.gif

This is exactly what I also miss....the physical buttons (and the delicate dimensions of a phone). biggrin.gif I would also like to go back to my Motorola Rokr Em25. I loved that phone so much.

Your smart phone was 150euro...guess what...my phone was free. tongue.gif I received it a few years ago as a birthday present from my niece. I can't lie so.....my face revealed the "joy" when I opened the gift. laugh.gif All my family laughed. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jun 12 2023, 04:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jun 12 2023, 07:45 AM) *
This is exactly what I also miss....the physical buttons (and the delicate dimensions of a phone). biggrin.gif I would also like to go back to my Motorola Rokr Em25. I loved that phone so much.

Your smart phone was 150euro...guess what...my phone was free. tongue.gif I received it a few years ago as a birthday present from my niece. I can't lie so.....my face revealed the "joy" when I opened the gift. laugh.gif All my family laughed. laugh.gif

Haha, I will say that the price "new" was 150 eur, but I got a discount so only paid around 110 eur laugh.gif

Unfortunately here in Denmark a lot of processes now more or less require a phone. Logging into anything more official, i.e. online banking, renewing medicine, driver's license can be shown on a phone, train tickets, Mobile Pay etc. So many things have become things you either do or nearly HAVE to do on a phone. For someone like me who dislikes typing on a phone, which is my main problem with it, it's annoying laugh.gif I sometimes consider bringing a full size computer keyboard with me in my backpocket to connect to my phone. And maybe a mouse! laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 12 2023, 06:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Storm Linnebjerg @ Jun 12 2023, 03:50 PM) *
Haha, I will say that the price "new" was 150 eur, but I got a discount so only paid around 110 eur laugh.gif

Unfortunately here in Denmark a lot of processes now more or less require a phone. Logging into anything more official, i.e. online banking, renewing medicine, driver's license can be shown on a phone, train tickets, Mobile Pay etc. So many things have become things you either do or nearly HAVE to do on a phone. For someone like me who dislikes typing on a phone, which is my main problem with it, it's annoying laugh.gif I sometimes consider bringing a full size computer keyboard with me in my backpocket to connect to my phone. And maybe a mouse! laugh.gif laugh.gif

In my country, the phone is also useful for a lot of things but...I try to use it as little as possible.

Hahaha...a keyboard and a mouse...how I not thought at that. laugh.gif laugh.gif Now I know what was missing from my purse. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 13 2023, 07:05 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Storm Linnebjerg @ Jun 12 2023, 05:50 PM) *

Same here, and I just cannot understand - given the progress of AI - why someone does not find a smart solution for typing on the phone. Oh well I guess it's just a matter of time!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:10 PM