Is Your Tone Awesome, Or Optimised For Playing?, Tone tweaking dilemma
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 11 2023, 11:05 AM
GMC Founder
I am currently facing a dilemma:

The tones I am currently dialling in - and hearing in my head - are not very 'playable'. In other words they sound clean, crisp and responsive - but they also amplify every playing mistake I make 😅

The more distortion, compression or boosting I add - the easier it is to play, and the worse it sounds... Turning up the bass frequencies in the pre-amp usually has the same effect.

So right now it seems I have the choice between sounding great and sucking 😂

Or - I can shred but sound horrible 🥶

Which one would you go for?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 11 2023, 02:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
I would always go with a tone which sounds great, even if it will amplify any tiny mistake that I make. It's challenging and this gives me a reason to practice more. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 11 2023, 03:20 PM
GMC Founder
Yep, that’s the best way of approaching it. Because when your chops rock with a non compressed sound you will, simply put, have superior technique!

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 11 2023, 03:30 PM
GMC:er
Sound.
Although, I do believe you can find a middle-ground.
How 'clean' are we talkin' here? Neo-soul, pristine clean or SRV clean?

Compression type (FET, VCA, Optical and Vari-mu) can help. Opto comps will let a lot more dynamics pop through.
Pick size, shape, and material has a MASSIVE effect on one's tone.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 11 2023, 03:47 PM
GMC Founder
Preferably pristine clean with total control 😅

But yes I agree that type (and amount) of compression obviously makes a huge difference.

But again, it’s hard to beat a completely clean sound and a player with total control 😅

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 11 2023, 04:42 PM
Practice.
Lots and lots of practice biggrin.gif

How's the setup on whatever axe you're using?
I personally find that slightly heavier strings (10s or 11s) and slightly higher (than factory rec'd) action helps with 'clean' lead playing.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 11 2023, 04:46 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 11 2023, 05:47 PM
GMC Founder
Well that could have been another topic… 😁 I have realized I much prefer high action (remember I have even PLEK’d half of my guitars..!)

But I have played with extremely low action for many years, so you can imagine I have a journey ahead of me 😅

I use mostly 09, but plan on experimenting with that sooner or later as well (haven’t changed gauge for many years)

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 12 2023, 06:12 PM
Try 10s and a heavy pick that doesn't have a sharp point.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 13 2023, 07:02 AM
GMC Founder
That's a cool tip, I can imagine picking overall requires more tension with that string gauge.

But then maybe the faster picking runs won't sound as distinct without a sharp pick.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 13 2023, 04:27 PM
I just mean try a 'normal' tip as opposed to the exaggerated points that look like they could take out an eye.
I like a Dunlop 1.5 Jazz III (red).

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 13 2023, 04:29 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:51 AM