I Feel Like I Have Reached The Peak Of What I Can Accomplish At This Time
Praetorian
Jan 6 2011, 09:58 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Because of real life always getting in the way, I am only able to practice between 3-6 hours a week. I don't seem to have improved in the last 6 to 8 months at all. It is getting frustrating, and I wonder if I have reached all I am able to accomplish with my time frame. Anyone else experience the same thing?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Praetorian: Jan 6 2011, 10:00 PM

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Ben Higgins
Jan 8 2011, 11:56 AM
Instructor
Mudbone definitely nails it there ! cool.gif

The only thing I can add is from personal experience. What we bring to guitar is the sum of who we are. In other words, someone who has a very one dimensional life doesn't have much to bring to the guitar in terms of passion, emotion and feeling. The whole GIT school of thought in the 80's was 'live, breathe, sleep guitar'.. being consumed and obsessed with the instrument. But this approach is counter productive. We have to experience life's ups and downs in order to truly bring life to the music. If we're constantly immersed in the guitar, what outside experiences and observations can enhance our music ? Not much.

So, if you have a busy and full life I would not lament it.. as annoying as it can be to not get as much time with our guitars.. when we do get time with our guitars, it really matters !

Also, set yourself small targets. Almost ridiculously small targets that are almost impossible not to achieve. That way, you're always moving forward which keeps your inspiration high. smile.gif

There is/or was an approach which the Japanese called KAIZEN (I hope I've got that right, somebody else here might know more) which meant to take small, manageable steps in order to achieve a goal. It's worth looking up as it's a great philosophy.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:07 PM