> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

10 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 >  
Adam M's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 29 2020, 03:15 AM
Instructor
Hi Adam! Can you upload a video with all takes one after the other?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 4 2020, 03:42 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi! I'm working on it but seems I'm camera shy. When I'm just playing it for practice, it's all fine but as soon as I start recording, I also start making mistakes... Each try goes worse than previous one and I eventually turn off recording and go back to practice.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2020, 04:34 PM
Instructor
What about practicing in front of your camera? smile.gif

After some days/weeks, it will became a normal situation.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 4 2020, 04:43 PM
Learning Roadie
I've been trying to do that but with every mistake I lose some of my focus and get a bit irritated. Essentially, the longer I keep practicing, the more mistakes I make and eventually I just go for some other exercise or turn off the camera. And the camera has limited amount of space that I easily meet after playing in front of it for too long.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2020, 04:50 PM
Instructor
Ok, let's work on this. Don't feel bad about this, it's very normal. I also experiment REC bottom syndrome and I can assure you that most of us (guitarists) experience it.

Let's do an exercise. What about posting here daily videos (not necessary every day, you can share 3 per week) just playing whatever you want. It can be the easiest lick, riff or idea that you know, it can be the first song you've learn... The vids don't need to be perfect, you can share them with errors, or wrong notes.. you can also set them as unlisted at youtube if you don't want other people finds them.

We won't use this to monitor your practice by now, we'll use it as an experiment... what do you say?

Are you in?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 4 2020, 07:27 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 4 2020, 05:50 PM) *
Ok, let's work on this. Don't feel bad about this, it's very normal. I also experiment REC bottom syndrome and I can assure you that most of us (guitarists) experience it.

Let's do an exercise. What about posting here daily videos (not necessary every day, you can share 3 per week) just playing whatever you want. It can be the easiest lick, riff or idea that you know, it can be the first song you've learn... The vids don't need to be perfect, you can share them with errors, or wrong notes.. you can also set them as unlisted at youtube if you don't want other people finds them.

We won't use this to monitor your practice by now, we'll use it as an experiment... what do you say?

Are you in?

It sounds interesting. Might actually work for me.

I did today's video and started a separate thread for the experiment. Maybe knowing others can see it will work even better for me.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=61261

This post has been edited by Adam: Sep 4 2020, 09:23 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 5 2020, 04:18 AM
Instructor
Excellent!! Your thread will inspire other students as well! Congrats!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 6 2020, 11:16 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 5 2020, 05:18 AM) *
Excellent!! Your thread will inspire other students as well! Congrats!

Thank you. It would feel great if it did help anyone.

I've posted another video. I tried adding a backing guitar over it but I've recorded leads along the original song and the backings over the tabs. The tabs got the wrong tempo and it doesn't fit at all. Do you think it's worth re-doing some time later or should I pick another piece already?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 7 2020, 02:02 AM
Instructor
Hi Adam! Great to see a second video! smile.gif

Whatever you do will be ok. You can re-record it or you can go for a new one. These vids are only to get used to record.

One question.. why aren't you using your left hand thumb to hold the neck in the new video?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 7 2020, 07:53 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 7 2020, 03:02 AM) *
Hi Adam! Great to see a second video! smile.gif

Whatever you do will be ok. You can re-record it or you can go for a new one. These vids are only to get used to record.

One question.. why aren't you using your left hand thumb to hold the neck in the new video?

I went for some Nightwish this time. I enjoy playing their old songs and don't think too much while at it, so i thought it would do the job smile.gif There might be more Nightwish pieces coming in the future.

I'll redo it because it sounded really nice with two tracks, the part that was synced well.

Is it bad I'm not using the thumb? I picked it up at Todd's Bootcamp. I don't really understand it myself but I do it instinctively. It's the one thing that helped me get this far in the Bootcamp. In some situations I need the thumb but it happens the less often the more I practice his drills. Todd may be able to explain it in more details. I'm sorry I can't be of help.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 7 2020, 02:25 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam! Nice! Nightwish sounds are cool for practice. They have amazing riffs and metal rhythms. It will definitely help you with your guitar progress. Let me know if you need any help with the songs.

Is it bad I'm not using the thumb?

It's not a common practice, but I'll ask Todd about the reason or objetives behind it. Don't worry.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 7 2020, 10:20 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 7 2020, 03:25 PM) *
Hi Adam! Nice! Nightwish sounds are cool for practice. They have amazing riffs and metal rhythms. It will definitely help you with your guitar progress. Let me know if you need any help with the songs.

It's not a common practice, but I'll ask Todd about the reason or objetives behind it. Don't worry.

Nightwish is one of the first bands I listened to and it's been there with me until now, so it's also a bit special to me.

Actually, I don't feel too confident about repetitive picking, like 16th notes, gallop, etc., on one string with or without added notes such as this: (the intro riff)

I just keep losing my focus and mess up the patterns sooner or later. If there's a pattern and scale runs, it's just fine but picking one note for too long doesn't go too well for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 7 2020, 10:47 PM
GMC:er
Thumbless technique is just about reducing overpressure created by clamping down too hard while using the thum on the neck. It forces the hand to just use the finger tips. One can't clamp down too hard without the fulcrum the thum provides. It can always be added back later as a guide. I still use the technique myself during fast bits when I want a light touch.

Todd

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 7 2020, 09:25 AM) *

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 7 2020, 11:02 PM
Instructor
Amazing song!!! I could see them live during Once's World Tour. smile.gif

Well, the first thing that you need to be able to play is open G sting in 16th notes. From what I can hear, that guitar is in Standard D tuning, so this is a riff that keeps open 3rd string (the sound is F) as a pedal note.

I've prepared 4 "warm up" exercises based on this riff so you can work on them to get used gradually to it. Please try them, work at a very slow tempo, over the GP file or metronome and let me know what happens.

Attached Image

Attached File  Nightwish_Warm_Up.gpx ( 21.38K ) Number of downloads: 51

Attached File  Nightwish_Warm_Up.pdf ( 39.74K ) Number of downloads: 59

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 8 2020, 08:44 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 8 2020, 12:02 AM) *
Amazing song!!! I could see them live during Once's World Tour. smile.gif

Well, the first thing that you need to be able to play is open G sting in 16th notes. From what I can hear, that guitar is in Standard D tuning, so this is a riff that keeps open 3rd string (the sound is F) as a pedal note.

I've prepared 4 "warm up" exercises based on this riff so you can work on them to get used gradually to it. Please try them, work at a very slow tempo, over the GP file or metronome and let me know what happens.

Attached Image

Attached File  Nightwish_Warm_Up.gpx ( 21.38K ) Number of downloads: 51

Attached File  Nightwish_Warm_Up.pdf ( 39.74K ) Number of downloads: 59

I was around Middle School age when they did End of an Era. I wish I was there or at any other concert with Tarja or Anette. You were so lucky! smile.gif

I keep my SG in D tuning, so it should be fine. The exercise isn't that hard when I do it slowly, carefully and with somewhat focus. That kind of picking appears a lot in Finnish and not just Finnish power metal songs, so learning that would open a whole new world for me.

I added another video in the experimental thread but for some reason, it's not displayed nor listed as the "latest".

This post has been edited by Adam: Sep 8 2020, 08:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 9 2020, 02:14 PM
Instructor
Yeah! It was nice to see them with Tarja! It was a killer show, very energetic, and it was in one of my favorite places to see bands live here.

Great to know that you are playing the exercises. If possible share a video or audio here so I can check how the exercises are going.

I'm checking your experimental video in a moment. That forum issue is now fixed.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 9 2020, 04:30 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 9 2020, 03:14 PM) *
Yeah! It was nice to see them with Tarja! It was a killer show, very energetic, and it was in one of my favorite places to see bands live here.

Great to know that you are playing the exercises. If possible share a video or audio here so I can check how the exercises are going.

I'm checking your experimental video in a moment. That forum issue is now fixed.

I can imagine how good it was!

I'll try posting them in here or in the other thread when I get some more practice! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 9 2020, 05:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam @ Sep 9 2020, 12:30 PM) *
I can imagine how good it was!

I'll try posting them in here or in the other thread when I get some more practice! smile.gif

Perfect! The video doesn't need to be perfect. Let's use it as a part of the experiment.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 9 2020, 09:48 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 9 2020, 06:04 PM) *
Perfect! The video doesn't need to be perfect. Let's use it as a part of the experiment.

Okay then! smile.gif

I posted one for today. I didn't have much time to think or act, so I've recorded the first thing that came to my mind. I used my old amp today, so the sound may be a bit off (I only used its stock sound, no effects).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 10 2020, 02:11 PM
Instructor
Don't worry. The idea is that you share vids every day if it's possible. You can play/record the first thing that comes to mind, it can even be an improvisation. You amp sound is ok for this purpose.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:09 PM