Extending Speaker Cable, To use with an attenuator
Electric_Blues
Nov 18 2008, 03:01 PM
GMC:er
Hi all

Was going to use an attenuator on my combo amp , but the speaker cable is just too short.

Was hoping that i could buy something that would extend the speaker cable but cannot find any products like this in the UK.

I would have the speaker cable extended , rather than buying an extension. But because i only use the attenuator for home practice and not during gigs, i would rather just use an extension cable.

Can anyone please give me advice on what product i should use?

Thanks very much , all help is much appreciated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 18 2008, 03:42 PM
QUOTE (Electric_Blues @ Nov 18 2008, 03:01 PM) *
Hi all

Was going to use an attenuator on my combo amp , but the speaker cable is just too short.

Was hoping that i could buy something that would extend the speaker cable but cannot find any products like this in the UK.

I would have the speaker cable extended , rather than buying an extension. But because i only use the attenuator for home practice and not during gigs, i would rather just use an extension cable.

Can anyone please give me advice on what product i should use?

Thanks very much , all help is much appreciated.

Put it by the speaker and draw a signal cable to mixing table.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 18 2008, 03:58 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I'm not sure I've ever seen a 6,3mm cord with a female end.

I suppose you could get a DI box - the kind that sits between poweramp and speaker/cab and connects to a mixer, H&K has one called Redbox which you could connect speakerout-> redbox speakerin , redbox speaker out -> speaker - or a A/B box that sits between poweramp and cab (though you only use one output), mind the impedance so the A/B box can handle speaker signal or something might fry.

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 18 2008, 11:15 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Nov 18 2008, 03:58 PM) *
I'm not sure I've ever seen a 6,3mm cord with a female end.

I suppose you could get a DI box - the kind that sits between poweramp and speaker/cab and connects to a mixer, H&K has one called Redbox which you could connect speakerout-> redbox speakerin , redbox speaker out -> speaker - or a A/B box that sits between poweramp and cab (though you only use one output), mind the impedance so the A/B box can handle speaker signal or something might fry.

I have seen that, but extending a powercable results in huge loss.
Attuenator is definitely a great go, as you get to utilize the powertubes.

However, a DI is prolly easier and cheaper to get going.

This post has been edited by kjutte: Nov 18 2008, 11:16 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 18 2008, 11:45 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (kjutte @ Nov 18 2008, 11:15 PM) *
I have seen that, but extending a powercable results in huge loss.
Attuenator is definitely a great go, as you get to utilize the powertubes.

However, a DI is prolly easier and cheaper to get going.

Aha so they do exist, well usually there's a thing for every need smile.gif

I was merely thinking of the DI box as an extension to get the cord to reach.
Poweramp -> attenuator -> DI box -> short speaker cord that goes directly to the combo's speaker

and having a DI box could later on be useful for recording since they come with a Line level output. I mentioned the Redbox from H&K, Behringer got a cheap DI also with cab simulator. I remember Antipolitik mentioned a software cab sim that I understood would give even better result but cab sims in DI boxes can be turned off so no harm in having one.

So a DI box would really 1'st make the cord reach and 2'nd be useful for future recordings, or even on stage straight into the PA.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 19 2008, 12:44 AM
Instructor
You can have it made in any electronics store mate.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 21 2008, 12:03 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Nov 18 2008, 11:45 PM) *
Aha so they do exist, well usually there's a thing for every need smile.gif

I was merely thinking of the DI box as an extension to get the cord to reach.
Poweramp -> attenuator -> DI box -> short speaker cord that goes directly to the combo's speaker

and having a DI box could later on be useful for recording since they come with a Line level output. I mentioned the Redbox from H&K, Behringer got a cheap DI also with cab simulator. I remember Antipolitik mentioned a software cab sim that I understood would give even better result but cab sims in DI boxes can be turned off so no harm in having one.

So a DI box would really 1'st make the cord reach and 2'nd be useful for future recordings, or even on stage straight into the PA.

Highpass (Cabsim) + signal strength does indeed come in handy, my friend! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:25 AM