Fingerpicking Beginner
Skalde
Mar 9 2009, 05:46 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey,

I am about to improve my fingerpicking. There are a lot of great lessons about this topic, but I wonder how many fingers I should use. Normally I would use my thumb, playing the 3 bass strings and indexfinger, middlefinger and ringfinger playing the other strings. When I play like this my pinky rests on the body of my guitar. I wonder if there is a reason I should not involve my pinky in the picking process. What do you think? I assume it depends on the style your playing, but what the benifts / cons on not the pinky finger?

regards

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 9 2009, 06:37 PM
Instructor
Pinky is the most weak, that's why it's rarely in use.
There is no rule whatsoever so you can try applying it more,
won't hurt. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Skalde
Mar 9 2009, 08:03 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for your answer, I will give my pinky a try biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Mar 9 2009, 11:30 PM
Instructor
If you're willing to give the pinky a try first I recommend to watch this lesson about Brett Garsed, he's an amazing fusion player that uses the pick and the rest of the fingers of the right hand to play.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 9 2009, 11:56 PM
Instructor
You can use what ever fingers you like - what ever gives you best results and sound mate. I haven't ever practice fingerpicking systematically (only through jamming and lick playing), so I kind got used to using only thumb and index all the time, and middle and ring sometimes. But after a while I could play a lot of useful stuff, and even do some fingerpicking jobs. So it's all about practicing the way you like it, and being consistent enough with it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Mar 10 2009, 09:46 AM
Instructor
As Muris already said, pinky is the weakest and also shortest finger so it is not so much of an use, I recommend to master the fingerpicking without pinky first smile.gif

Resting pinky on guitar body is a mistake common to beginners, I suggest you to work on to avoid it because it limits the movement of other fingers. It could be tough in the beginning but it's worth it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Mar 10 2009, 10:01 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
As more fingers you can use as better it is, but as Dejan said, before you try to use the pinky for picking try to avoid to rest the pinky on the body. A lot of player do this and go fine like this, but at the end it will block the movement of your hand, especially your ring finger.

The reason to place the pinky on the body is that it gives you the impression to have more stability in your hand. This stability helps you maybe at the beginning, but will cause you problems later.

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Mar 10 2009, 10:22 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Dejan Farkas @ Mar 10 2009, 09:46 AM) *
Resting pinky on guitar body is a mistake common to beginners, I suggest you to work on to avoid it because it limits the movement of other fingers. It could be tough in the beginning but it's worth it smile.gif

Even when picking with a pick? Strange. In the beginning I always picked without resting the pinky, then my guitar instructor (who I have to pay with 10 years of experience, not a random friend) actually recommended resting the pinky at most times.

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Mar 10 2009, 10:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pavlov @ Mar 10 2009, 10:22 AM) *
Even when picking with a pick? Strange. In the beginning I always picked without resting the pinky, then my guitar instructor (who I have to pay with 10 years of experience, not a random friend) actually recommended resting the pinky at most times.

I referred to figerpicking here, when I started playing guitar in music school I used to rest pinky finger beacuse it gives some impression of stability as wrk said, and my instructor was encouraging to get rid of this habit, and now I thankful to him smile.gif

When it is about a pick, there are various techniques and more freedom because generally you use only two fingers (thumb and index) to hold a pick, so you should do it in the most convenient way for you. But having in mind that it doesn't limit your movement smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Skalde
Mar 10 2009, 11:51 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Dejan Farkas @ Mar 10 2009, 09:46 AM) *

Thank you, I did not know that

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Mar 10 2009, 11:57 AM
Instructor
You're welcome, if you need any help with it don't hesitate to ask smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:53 AM