Greeting From A Socal Noob Guitarist!
Primordian
May 3 2007, 06:11 AM
GMC:er
Greetings and Hello!

I am 29 years old and am just starting to learn the guitar. I am liking the site so far but I just really need to know how to get everything going.

I inherted some of my fathers equipment and am a bit overwhelmed as to where to start. The Amp is pretty old and has most of the letters rubbed off. I have the guitar playing through the amp so I guess that is a start.

I will list the items I have as to better serve any advice given.

Gear:

Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar - I dont know what year.
B.C. Rich Warlock
Fender DG-22ce Acoustic Guitar
Gibson Acoustic Guitar
Fender Acoustic with Plastic Strings
Old 60s Marshall Amp with 2 x 12" speakers
One Distortion Pedal
Conn Strobotuner
Cheap Electric Tuner
Random Cables and Gear Cases

So.... as you can see Its a bit hard to focus with all these differnet things to play with !

My goals are to become good at playing the Guitar and record my own music, I know one is way past the other!

So any comments would be great!

I am also looking at those pedals with all the effects in them i.e. GNX 3000 I saw that at a Guitar Place in Hollywood today.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Primordian: May 3 2007, 06:11 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 3 2007, 01:45 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Primordian @ May 3 2007, 01:11 AM) *
Greetings and Hello!
I am 29 years old and am just starting to learn the guitar. I am liking the site so far but I just really need to know how to get everything going.

I inherted some of my fathers equipment and am a bit overwhelmed as to where to start. The Amp is pretty old and has most of the letters rubbed off. I have the guitar playing through the amp so I guess that is a start.

I will list the items I have as to better serve any advice given.
Gear:

Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar - I dont know what year.
B.C. Rich Warlock
Fender DG-22ce Acoustic Guitar
Gibson Acoustic Guitar
Fender Acoustic with Plastic Strings
Old 60s Marshall Amp with 2 x 12" speakers
One Distortion Pedal
Conn Strobotuner
Cheap Electric Tuner
Random Cables and Gear Cases

So.... as you can see Its a bit hard to focus with all these differnet things to play with !

My goals are to become good at playing the Guitar and record my own music, I know one is way past the other!

So any comments would be great!

I am also looking at those pedals with all the effects in them i.e. GNX 3000 I saw that at a Guitar Place in Hollywood today.

Welcome! You are pretty well setup for a beginner smile.gif

First step is to decide what style you want to start off with - Electric, Acoustic or Classical smile.gif The "Plastic Strings" are actually Nylon, and you probably have a nylon string classical guitar there. You also have a couple of neat acoustics by the sound of it, and the Les Paul is a fine instrument without doubt.

So, what kind of music do you admire the most? As a beginner I sould suggest you focus on one particular style, and on this site there is more material for the Electric than the accoustic at the moment (although I am sure that will change over time).

You could do a lot worse than pick up the Les Paul and start working thorugh the 101 lessons here, and also take some time to look at Kris' videos about how to practice fruitfully, and use of the metronome. As for the rest, if you have questions, just ask!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Primordian
May 3 2007, 10:44 PM
GMC:er
Thanks for the welcom.

I was working on the scales on my les paul.

I am a closet metal head. (suit and tie by day).

I listen to TOOL, Static X, and anything 80's Metal! Go Preist/Sabboth etc.

I watched alot of the videos and already and making head way!

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 3 2007, 10:49 PM
Instructor
Welcome Primordian!

It's great you found your way to this site! You definitely found the best guitar community on internet! Welcome and have fun! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:06 PM