Article About Picking Mechanics
Ben Higgins
Jul 28 2012, 11:01 AM
Instructor
Here's an interesting article that talks about something I often try to describe. Sometimes you might need to use extra movement when playing different things. If you are picking constantly on one string, then you would probably use the least amount of movement. If you were to play something constantly crossed the string using outside picking then it is conceivable to use some added movement and move your forearm over to where you need to be. This doesn't mean you stop picking like you normally do, it just adds another body mechanic to it to help you achieve the task. There doesn't have to be one magic hand position that you keep all of the time for every technique. To sum it up.. different things for different jobs !

http://www.shredaholic.com/speed-mechanics...ead-guitar.html

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yash
Jul 28 2012, 12:40 PM
GMC:er
Thanks for sharing smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 28 2012, 09:20 PM
Instructor
Interesting stuff! Thanks Ben for the article! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 30 2012, 11:28 PM
A very spiff article and a cool site! Never been there before but I like it a lot!

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 28 2012, 06:01 AM) *
Here's an interesting article that talks about something I often try to describe. Sometimes you might need to use extra movement when playing different things. If you are picking constantly on one string, then you would probably use the least amount of movement. If you were to play something constantly crossed the string using outside picking then it is conceivable to use some added movement and move your forearm over to where you need to be. This doesn't mean you stop picking like you normally do, it just adds another body mechanic to it to help you achieve the task. There doesn't have to be one magic hand position that you keep all of the time for every technique. To sum it up.. different things for different jobs !

http://www.shredaholic.com/speed-mechanics...ead-guitar.html

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 16 2012, 09:31 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Nice one, thanks for sharing

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 16 2012, 12:41 PM
Instructor
Thank you for sharing Ben smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 16 2012, 12:51 PM
Instructor
Glad you find it interesting, guys.

I find that the thing that alters the effectiveness of picking the most, in my personal experience, is all about angles. The angle at which your hand approaches the guitar itself and the angle of your hand in relation to the strings. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 17 2012, 08:53 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 16 2012, 07:51 AM) *
Glad you find it interesting, guys.

I find that the thing that alters the effectiveness of picking the most, in my personal experience, is all about angles. The angle at which your hand approaches the guitar itself and the angle of your hand in relation to the strings. smile.gif

Well said! The "Angle of Attack" is CRITICAL! So much of it really hinges on the physics involved. Angles relative to more angles. Wrist rotation, pick angle, how much or little bend at the elbow, etc. So many small things coming together.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 17 2012, 09:02 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 17 2012, 08:53 AM) *
Well said! The "Angle of Attack" is CRITICAL! So much of it really hinges on the physics involved. Angles relative to more angles. Wrist rotation, pick angle, how much or little bend at the elbow, etc. So many small things coming together.

It's important for us to experiment until we find the right angles that allow us to get the results we're looking for in the easiest possible way smile.gif

I can't remember if it was MAB or Rusty Cooley but one of the best things I heard was that they said that when you look at alternate picking, there are more differences between players than similarities. That kind of says it all smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Aug 17 2012, 09:03 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:55 AM