3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
What Is The Oldest Piece Of Gear That You Own?
Cosmin Lupu
May 15 2014, 07:18 AM
Instructor
I wasn't joking about liking Aaron's country album smile.gif But as SeeJay said - that's just me smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 15 2014, 03:53 PM
GMC:er
That's a good way of putting it. I'm not a hunter, but I have nothing against it. (some of that culture is a little dumb though)

And it's true, a lot of rock dudes over here always do a folk kind of thing thinking it legitimizes themselves.

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 15 2014, 12:08 AM) *
It's a cultural thing.
Both the hunting - very difficult to explain if you weren't raised in the rural USA ...
and the fact that lots of american rockers think that their 'roots' are in mountain music.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 16 2014, 07:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 15 2014, 02:53 PM) *
That's a good way of putting it. I'm not a hunter, but I have nothing against it. (some of that culture is a little dumb though)

And it's true, a lot of rock dudes over here always do a folk kind of thing thinking it legitimizes themselves.

I see hunting, as an activity which was crucial for the survival of our ancestors, due to the fact that they didn't know how to feed themselves otherwise. Nowadays, we have all the means in the world to procure food. What can a poor deer do against a gun? Then again, what can anyone do against a gun? Unless you are Wolverine or Superman, you are in the same lot with the deers. As I said, if you are really looking for a thrill, get a hunting knife and go get a bear with that knife only, if you can smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
May 16 2014, 08:56 AM
Wives don't count I guess?

I have an old Framus acoustic guitar which my mother purchased before I was born.

That single guitar is the reason I didn't start playing earlier. It's not hard to fret now, but being a 7 year old it was highly difficult. Plus, my mother started me on classical guitar lessons which I could have cared less about. I never made it past the G,C,D, stage - I think it was when we moved to the F open chord I decided guitar was just too hard - so she put me in piano instead.

Looking back, I wish I had stuck with it, but I remember my teacher being anywhere from 150 to 200 years old and I just didn't think he would show me to play the songs on the radio I wanted to play, like the Bee Gees. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Spock: May 16 2014, 08:57 AM

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 17 2014, 05:15 AM
Oh, I forgot. My upright piano is from the mid 50s. My wife bought it at an auction for me a few years ago.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 17 2014, 07:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ May 16 2014, 07:56 AM) *
Wives don't count I guess?

I have an old Framus acoustic guitar which my mother purchased before I was born.

That single guitar is the reason I didn't start playing earlier. It's not hard to fret now, but being a 7 year old it was highly difficult. Plus, my mother started me on classical guitar lessons which I could have cared less about. I never made it past the G,C,D, stage - I think it was when we moved to the F open chord I decided guitar was just too hard - so she put me in piano instead.

Looking back, I wish I had stuck with it, but I remember my teacher being anywhere from 150 to 200 years old and I just didn't think he would show me to play the songs on the radio I wanted to play, like the Bee Gees. biggrin.gif

The person who you look up to as a kid learning something, has a major impact on you smile.gif I know how much I loved some of my teachers simply because they understood how to work with a kid my age and how to make me love the thing i was learning smile.gif

QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 17 2014, 04:15 AM) *
Oh, I forgot. My upright piano is from the mid 50s. My wife bought it at an auction for me a few years ago.

Uh-oh...was it expensive?

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 17 2014, 10:07 PM
ha, no I think we got it for a $100.

We have had some good luck at auctions.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 17 2014, 06:42 AM) *
Uh-oh...was it expensive?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 18 2014, 11:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 17 2014, 09:07 PM) *
ha, no I think we got it for a $100.

We have had some good luck at auctions.

100 bucks? How is that possible? I mean, a piano is something expensive... what am I not getting here? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 18 2014, 05:05 PM
You can find older 'upright' or console pianos here for even less than that. They probably need to be tuned and may have a busted string but there are literally MILLIONS of used pianos around. You can find them in second hand and charity shops as well as garage sales and even some swap meets.
*You're not gonna get a Steinway (or even a Yamaha) for that price but you can always find a cheap piano.

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 19 2014, 07:49 PM
Yeah, there's a LOT of upright pianos that go for cheap. You do have to be careful, they can be a money pit if you don't check it out first. Sometimes they will have mold problems, broken strings, or just so warped that they wont hold tune.

I think pianos used to be considered like a great piece of furniture here in America like 30+ years ago. Growing up, most families I knew had one. Now with electric keyboards you can get something that is more discreet, lighter and cheaper than a piano. (plus with headphone outputs, parents are spared having to hear their kids practice.smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif )

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 18 2014, 04:05 PM) *
You can find older 'upright' or console pianos here for even less than that. They probably need to be tuned and may have a busted string but there are literally MILLIONS of used pianos around. You can find them in second hand and charity shops as well as garage sales and even some swap meets.
*You're not gonna get a Steinway (or even a Yamaha) for that price but you can always find a cheap piano.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 19 2014, 10:02 PM
Instructor
I think that it's an amazing thing for ANY child to grow with a piano in the house smile.gif I am definitely thinking of having one when I will have a little dude/dudette. Cultivating the passion for music from an early age is a crucial thing - be it they will become players or connoisseurs, it's a great thing nonetheless! Do your kids like music or already play an instrument?

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 19 2014, 10:12 PM
My almost 5 year old loves music and really likes to sing as well as dance around the house. I have a ukulele that he bangs on sometimes but nothing serious yet.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 20 2014, 07:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 19 2014, 09:12 PM) *
My almost 5 year old loves music and really likes to sing as well as dance around the house. I have a ukulele that he bangs on sometimes but nothing serious yet.

Hehe, he has a lot of inspiration for certain. This reminds me of the kid of one of my friends - I am teaching him how to play the guitar and his dad bought him a mini Taylor guitar. Man that little thing sounds incredible - I mean, you can play it onstage in a real gig and it will do the job perfectly.

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 22 2014, 05:40 AM
I've got a little one due soon. She is going to get a full lesson in rock and roll. (poor thing. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 22 2014, 06:23 AM
Mine responds really well to the Beatles, Michael Jackson and Chuck Berry.
When he hears the classic R&R rhythm guitar pattern he asks, "daddy, is this rock and roll?" (I swear to god).

I listen to a lot of jazz at my house as well as rock and soul.
It's that crazy rock music that the kid goes nuts for. There's just something about it - ?

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 22 2014, 06:25 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 22 2014, 09:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 22 2014, 05:23 AM) *
Mine responds really well to the Beatles, Michael Jackson and Chuck Berry.
When he hears the classic R&R rhythm guitar pattern he asks, "daddy, is this rock and roll?" (I swear to god).

I listen to a lot of jazz at my house as well as rock and soul.
It's that crazy rock music that the kid goes nuts for. There's just something about it - ?

The supreme energy of the rock! hah! Check this little dude out:

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:32 PM