Best Cheap Guitar?
leedbreak
Feb 28 2007, 06:26 PM
GMC:er
I need a cheaper guitar for various reasons. But I do not want pure junk, Yep I know I can’t have both laugh.gif

One that say is 100.00 USD or less new. I know there are many but I was hoping for some of your experiences.

A good friend of mine bought one of those squire fender wanna bes. He took it a guitar shop in Nashville and told them to set it up. And I am here to tell you that 100 dollar guitar plays like you would not believe. I was shocked. Darn near the lowest action I have ever seen on any guitar. And without fret noise.

Also anyone know of any web sites explaining how to set one up like the shop may have done it?

TIA

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 28 2007, 06:30 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (leedbreak @ Feb 28 2007, 12:26 PM) *
I need a cheaper guitar for various reasons. But I do not want pure junk, Yep I know I can’t have both laugh.gif

One that say is 100.00 USD or less new. I know there are many but I was hoping for some of your experiences.

A good friend of mine bought one of those squire fender wanna bes. He took it a guitar shop in Nashville and told them to set it up. And I am here to tell you that 100 dollar guitar plays like you would not believe. I was shocked. Darn near the lowest action I have ever seen on any guitar. And without fret noise.

Also anyone know of any web sites explaining how to set one up like the shop may have done it?

TIA

This site has a bunch of info ...

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
yell03
Feb 28 2007, 06:46 PM
I bought a Dean Vendetta XM for $99 NEW.

Lightweight, 24 frets, dual humbuckers, definitely worth the $$$.
Nice low action.

No, it doesn't play as well as my Les Paul or ESP, but it did play almoxt as my Gibson SG that I recently traded.

It sounds pretty nice too, definitely could be your only electric guitar if it needed to be.

It has a thicker sound than single coil guitars like Strats, but not as thick sounding as my Les Paul or ESP with EMGs.

Hope this helps,

Howard

This post has been edited by yell03: Feb 28 2007, 07:34 PM

--------------------
Electric Guitars
Carvin DC127
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Ibanez Prestige RGA121

Amplifiers
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Genz Benz -flex 2x12 cab

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Feb 28 2007, 06:47 PM
Hello Leadbreak
Are you wanting a coustic or electric?www.musicinsfriend.com has some good deals on both.some fender's for 100.00 and acoustic's for 100.00 . it is true most of the time you get what you pay for but these guitars would be good enough for now.only thing with the enexpensive fenders is they put out a hum on the amp ue to the single coil pick up's but the quality would be much better than some used guitar already beat up.Are yo from Tennessee? i seen you talked about a buddy in nashville .i've been through nashville a lot.i actually sold a guitar there years ago at a place called gruhn guitar.he deals in vintage gibson ,martin guitars

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Feb 28 2007, 07:04 PM
Thanks everyone for replying. Yes electric is what I am after. I live about 100 miles from Nashville.

I have my charvel for my main ax but I want to have one for taking places where security is a little low and

I also want to play with the settings as well.

The same buddy took his les paul to the same place he took the squire and they charged over 100.00 to set it up. It too now has action that is extremely low. He has the two best playing guitars I have ever played.

But with the set up fee he has about $1100.00 in his les

Oh, I forgot to add the funny note that every time I go visit him I tell him I am only here to molest his Les Paul. Last time I stayed a weekend with him I logged about 10 Hours on it.

For years my charvel was the one everyone wanted to play.

This post has been edited by leedbreak: Feb 28 2007, 07:30 PM

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Feb 28 2007, 07:09 PM
QUOTE (leedbreak @ Feb 28 2007, 01:04 PM) *
Thanks everyone for replying. Yes electric is what I am after. I live about 100 miles from Nashville.

I have my charvel for my main ax but I want to have one for taking places where security is a little low and

I also want to play with the settings as well.

The same buddy took his les paul to the same place he took the squire and they charged over 100.00 to set it up. It too now has action that is extremely low. He has the two best playing guitars I have ever played.

But with the set up fee here has about $1100.00 in his les

Hey
The set up fee sounds really high.I had my jackson set up , truss rod adjusted and action and it's really sweet now. i had told him to drop the action on it as low as it could go without putting out a buzz and it's nice.i only had to pay like $25.00 though at my guitar shop.look around and check out other guitar stores to set your guitar up.i think it's definatly worth it and if you have had a guitar for a good while now and never had it adjusted it probably needs it.

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
stratman33
Mar 16 2007, 11:57 PM
this doesnt have much to do with cheap guitars, but i really want a les paul.im only 12 though.i cant frikken afford to buy one.i was just wondering if anybody has any tips besides "money for the poor dry.gif ."that would be nice if people just gave you cash....nvm that, anyone got any good money makin tips for me?

This post has been edited by stratman33: Mar 16 2007, 11:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
May 12 2007, 10:40 PM
I am looking for a Ibanez Roadstar II from the mid 80's.

They are relatively cheap (maybe $150-250) depending on condition, pickup etc... and they play like a dream. I haven't heard one person, whether it be beginner or pro, badmouth these guitars.

Trouble is, they are really hard to find a nice one. Everyone who has one, either doesn't know what they have, or they won't sell it.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
May 13 2007, 05:46 PM
1 word.. Jackson Js30dk
i had that 1 for a while and loved it, i bought it in a kit for 300$ canadian, but alone it would be cheaper im sure, i like it more than any other guitar ive played of the same class and the fretboard feels alot nicer than other things ive played.

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
stratman33
May 13 2007, 07:50 PM
Dean Vendetta XM.Dual naked pickups, great fast neck, 24 frets, and only $100USD.Great deal!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:59 PM