3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Recording Fever !
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 12 2012, 12:29 AM
Instructor
"Recording Fever" is the only type of fever that can be healed with practice and experience! smile.gif However unless you have born without it you will keep some symptoms for many time.. or maybe forever... That's my experience, nowadays I feel much more comfortable when I'm recording but in my beginnings it was very difficult to play perfect when the REC button was turned on.
That's why the REC program is also very effective! Nowadays I make my private students learn one song every 2/3 months and we record/film to let them have the experience of being at the studio.

Check out some videos... smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 12 2012, 08:25 AM
Instructor
Great idea man! biggrin.gif I'll have a go at that one as well with my students in Romania smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 12 2012, 11:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 11 2012, 10:26 PM) *
Well, I got to act like a sailor and curse of course

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum !! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 13 2012, 09:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 12 2012, 04:25 AM) *
Great idea man! biggrin.gif I'll have a go at that one as well with my students in Romania smile.gif

I'm having really good result with this idea because the feel more motivated to work on technique and to study theory in order to be able to paly the songs and to understand how these ones are composed.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Feb 13 2012, 12:05 PM
Apprentice Roadie
I am happy to say I don't have this problem... my playing sounds awful whether the camera is on or off! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 13 2012, 01:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Feb 13 2012, 11:05 AM) *
I am happy to say I don't have this problem... my playing sounds awful whether the camera is on or off! laugh.gif

That's why you should push yourself to limitless levels biggrin.gif you do it till you make it sound right wink.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 13 2012, 08:59 AM) *
I'm having really good result with this idea because the feel more motivated to work on technique and to study theory in order to be able to paly the songs and to understand how these ones are composed.

Will, send some takes as soon as I'll apply this whole idea biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Blister
Aug 27 2012, 03:21 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I did my first REC today & this thread (which is a real good one!) came to mind directly! The looping technique given in this thread was very helpful & this is the method I used. Luckily no red light on my camera! smile.gif It's tough when you mess up in the beginning but real frustrating getting near the end of the recording & making a mistake. I wish I counted how many takes it took me. A guess would be around 30 (did I just admit that ohmy.gif ) If you watch the REC you will see me give a "thumbs up" at the end. Doing multiple takes, this was my way to let me know it was satisfactory. I now wish I would have waited another 2 seconds so it wouldn't show up on the recording.

I stopped at my first satisfactory take because I had never sync-ed the audio & video recording before & was anxious to try that. There is definitely a bit of trial-&-error in that process, as well.

Now that I have finally done a REC & you can see how I play, PLEASE don't kick me out of GMC! I love it here. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pourliver
Aug 27 2012, 03:37 AM
GMC:er
Every time I try to record something, I mess up, it's like if I was thinking so hard about it, that I forgot to do it... Kinda strange.

When this happens, I usually unplug my guitar, get outside, change my mind, and then get back and nail it. smile.gif

Yesterday I was recording something really awesome, and I think that my amp died, the sounds just faded, I could not hear the sound really loud, and it went back right after... Now I can't even record, I don't know if it's my guitar / pickup / amp, and Google didn't help for this, all those 3 piece can break.. I think it's the amp because the effects fade out too, going from Insane ( Metal ) to a pure clean tone...

+Quote Post
Blister
Aug 27 2012, 03:46 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Pourliver @ Aug 26 2012, 10:37 PM) *
Every time I try to record something, I mess up, it's like if I was thinking so hard about it, that I forgot to do it... Kinda strange.

When this happens, I usually unplug my guitar, get outside, change my mind, and then get back and nail it. smile.gif

Yesterday I was recording something really awesome, and I think that my amp died, the sounds just faded, I could not hear the sound really loud, and it went back right after... Now I can't even record, I don't know if it's my guitar / pickup / amp, and Google didn't help for this, all those 3 piece can break.. I think it's the amp because the effects fade out too, going from Insane ( Metal ) to a pure clean tone...

Oh no! So sorry to hear that. sad.gif I hope it's a simple fix.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Aug 27 2012, 03:59 AM
QUOTE (Pourliver @ Aug 27 2012, 03:37 AM) *

In my case i start to think so hard that it actually becomes harder laugh.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Aug 27 2012, 04:00 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 27 2012, 08:26 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Blister @ Aug 27 2012, 02:21 AM) *
It's tough when you mess up in the beginning but real frustrating getting near the end of the recording & making a mistake.

I hear you on that. Its can sometimes be a lengthy and frustrating process to get a good take. I look at it as extra practice. biggrin.gif

Congrats on your first REC take!

This post has been edited by DeGroot: Aug 27 2012, 08:27 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 27 2012, 08:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Aug 27 2012, 03:21 AM) *
I did my first REC today & this thread (which is a real good one!) came to mind directly! The looping technique given in this thread was very helpful & this is the method I used. Luckily no red light on my camera! smile.gif It's tough when you mess up in the beginning but real frustrating getting near the end of the recording & making a mistake. I wish I counted how many takes it took me. A guess would be around 30 (did I just admit that ohmy.gif ) If you watch the REC you will see me give a "thumbs up" at the end. Doing multiple takes, this was my way to let me know it was satisfactory. I now wish I would have waited another 2 seconds so it wouldn't show up on the recording.

I stopped at my first satisfactory take because I had never sync-ed the audio & video recording before & was anxious to try that. There is definitely a bit of trial-&-error in that process, as well.

Now that I have finally done a REC & you can see how I play, PLEASE don't kick me out of GMC! I love it here. smile.gif

Well done Gary ! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Pourliver @ Aug 27 2012, 03:37 AM) *

Oh.. not good ! Is there any tech support at the music shop where you bought it ?

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 27 2012, 12:07 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I guess we all suffer from this from time to time. The funny thing with me is, when we play live, normally I am not nervous at all, no matter if it is 1000, 10000 or 100000 people in front of the stage. But when it comes to recording and that stupid little red light lights up... this can make me very nervous smile.gif I can't even really explain why I am nervous when it comes to recording, of course I want to deliver a good take, but I want to do the same when we are on stage, and as mentioned there I am not nervous at all, the adrenalin rush might play a part here, don't know... But well, what can we do to work against this? One thing is to be prepared as good as possible of course. If you know your parts and you practice them well before entering the studio then there is one point less to worry about. Going to the studio KNOWING that you still have problems with a couple of licks, riff or leads wont really make you play relaxed. Creating a nice atmosphere is another thing. If you feel good you will play better. The most important lesson I had to learn though is that you can't force things. At some point you will just have to accept that it is not your day, and that it is much better to end a session and come back fresh and relaxed on the next morning. This once happened to me during one of the Blind Guardian recordings (can't exactly remember which one). I had to record a song, and it just was not happening at all, for whatever reason. I played several takes, but none was really good and everything was only getting worse. So at some point we started punching in and out, trying to glue together something that was working, so after several hours we had something that we thought would be ok. On the next morning we checked what I recorded the day before and it sounded absolutely horrible! I told our engeneer to delete everything, played the whole thing once and had a great take, end of story smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 27 2012, 01:09 PM
Instructor
Oh man... Marcus, I totally feel you smile.gif When there's a note that won't come out no matter what, things become so frustrating... I feel like I want to scream laugh.gif But indeed, it's better to relax and let things happen the next day. If you have the time to do it. When you're on a tight budget in the studio, the pressure is even higher laugh.gif

Before recording, you start thinking: 'Oh man, now what? What if it takes me 4 days to record this? biggrin.gif '

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 27 2012, 01:38 PM
Well, we are only humans, and we tend to have bad days from time to time. So what can you do? Of course having such a day in an expensive studio is pretty bad timing, but well, things like this happen.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 27 2012, 03:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 27 2012, 12:38 PM) *
Well, we are only humans, and we tend to have bad days from time to time. So what can you do? Of course having such a day in an expensive studio is pretty bad timing, but well, things like this happen.

I just had a bad vocal recording day... laugh.gif I was maybe a half tone under the track... I don't get it, I recorded the demo and it went great and now that I had to do the take which will be used on the EP, I completely sucked...

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 27 2012, 05:14 PM
The engeneer played a prank on you and pitched your headphone mix wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 27 2012, 05:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 27 2012, 04:14 PM) *
The engeneer played a prank on you and pitched your headphone mix wink.gif

Jesus..yes, that's the exact sensation that I had... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 28 2012, 03:38 AM
Up until I joined GMC I had not really recorded myself much. And when I started I really had trouble with the recording fever. It's really nice to know that even the very experienced pros have trouble with it. It has gotten better, I have tried some of the other great tips that have been mentioned, one other thing that I have tried is just to record even my warm up takes and when I'm just recording everything it sometimes helps me to forget, or get used to the camera being on by the time I get warmed up and get to the good ones, and then I like to try to do one more like JaxN4 said because I have one good one and all the pressure is off.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 28 2012, 04:21 AM
i was talking about this very thing in last saturdays video chat! It's really important to video and audio record
;yourself playing. Especially when first learning. If your not doing this, GET ON IT!

It's a great way to see/hear what you really are doing. Sometimes you'll be shocked at the difference between
what you hear while playing vs watching yourself play.

Also, you'll be able to see if your physical technique needs a tweak. So any students not shooting video
of themselves, WAKE UP CALL! smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:37 AM