Installing Pickups: Does Vertical Direction Matter?
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 28 2008, 09:40 PM
GMC Founder
Hi!

I have had "hot rails" installed on my strat - an even though they sound cool I have decided to go for the original pickup in the bridge position.

Now as far as I am concerned there is no "up and down" on a pickup - in other words it doesn't matter which end of the pickup goes with the highest string etc?

I would be grateful if someone could confirm this so I don't make a fool out of myself and my poor dissected guitar unsure.gif Thanks! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
ZakkWylde
Oct 28 2008, 09:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
On a humbucker it definitely matters so I guess it must be the same with coils

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 28 2008, 10:09 PM
GMC:er
I found this at bareknucklepickups.com

Does it matter which way round a pickup is fitted? Bare Knuckle humbucker designs feature both symmetrical and asymmetrical coils. Traditionally the screw coil goes nearest the bridge and nearest the neck respectively, but feel free to experiment for optimum tone.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Oct 28 2008, 10:10 PM
Most standard single coils have the same pole pieces in all positions. But If they are staggered you have to put them in the right way. In general I would say you should follow a diagram like the one provided here. I think usually the lead cable should come out on the right side. If you have one in the middle position that is wound the other way you have to be carefully how you put them in so that the phase is right.

This post has been edited by ItsMe: Oct 28 2008, 10:17 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  3s_1v_2t_5w_1__seymour_duncan.pdf ( 500.46K ) Number of downloads: 1616

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Oct 28 2008, 10:15 PM
Instructor
i agree with "its me"

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Oct 28 2008, 10:20 PM
BTW

I posted that already in some other thread. I really don't like the sound of Duncans too much. (they are in my guitar: have to do something about it) but the homepage is the best resource for all FAQs about pickups

check this out:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/choos...nstalling-pick/

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 28 2008, 11:07 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (ItsMe @ Oct 29 2008, 12:10 AM) *
Most standard single coils have the same pole pieces in all positions. But If they are staggered you have to put them in the right way. In general I would say you should follow a diagram like the one provided here. I think usually the lead cable should come out on the right side. If you have one in the middle position that is wound the other way you have to be carefully how you put them in so that the phase is right.

Aha - great advice! Since I have the original pickup in the middle position I should then just be able to check where the lead cable comes out from that one, and install the bridge pickup in the same way!

Thanks a lot! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Oct 28 2008, 11:22 PM
Instructor
magnets have two poles, north and south.. on neighboring pickups the poles should be reversed..

maybe the easiest way would be if you face the bridge pickup on the middle one, and they would attract each other if the poles are reversed smile.gif

the same poles will not attract each other

--------------------

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Oct 29 2008, 08:06 AM
Isn't the height of the "iron" that sticks up on a singelcoil different for some string positions? OR am I really stupid now?
Reference: http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/elec...lnico_ii_pro_s/
Look at the hight difference on left and right.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Oxac
Oct 29 2008, 08:51 AM
What you're referring to as Iron is the AlNiCo 5 magnets. They are (should be) of different length. Because of the difference in output from the different strings.

Regarding the neighbouring pickups being reverse polarity, reverse wound. This isn't something that you should mess around with. Either they are RP/RW or they aren't. Either way they should be installet the same way.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 29 2008, 12:10 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Keep it simple with those single coil pickups, someone else did all the thinking before you so trust the wires come out in the right place already. wink.gif

Hence, if the wires exit to the right keep that side towards the pots and switch.
If they come out on one long side keep that side closer to the bridge.

Always aim for the shortest distance to where the wires belong and your pickup will sit the way it was intended.

When it comes to humbuckers some will sound different if they are turned the "wrong" way. Some are not marked in any way and there's no telling which goes where other than a N (for neck) and B (for bridge) in best case.
I don't know why but I put the bridge pick up with the wiring coming out to the right and the neck with it's wires coming out to the left. ...I think it's because a humbucking set with it's name printed on the front was that way.
If you don't know if it's a bridge or neck pickup and they have different center-center spacing put the wider one in the bridge. If your space between strings and pu isn't very very narrow bla bla bla bla I'm done.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:06 PM