2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Yngwie With Tips On The Right Pick
Todd Simpson
Mar 15 2021, 11:29 PM
GMC:er
GABE: That andy james pick looks to have a great shape, solid build with no flex and a good pointy tip! Also it sounds nice!! Leave it to Andy to build a purpose built shred pick! I tried the sample pack of FLOW picks and liked the 2.5mm. It didn't feel very thick and has no flex and a good point. Here it is next to my vpick switchblade BLACK which I also like quite a bit. The pick is stiff and pointy and has a great shape for traverse.

Attached Image

MERTAY: Very sorry to hear about your Grandmother. I broke my back twice and actually was dead briefly after each one and they brought me back, twice. I still have nightmares about it. I seem to remember being dead. Have dreams about that too sometimes. Death is a strange thing. It takes from us and offers very little in return. It waits for us. Always. It's become like an old friend. I"ve seen enough death though. My parents, relatives, and pets. I always try to focus on life. Sometimes I fail.

That's a great pick collection you have! I need to take a big pic of mine as well. I hope everyone in this thread does the same!
!

BEN/GABE: Thanks much for adding to this thread!

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 15 2021, 03:42 PM) *
I gave thought to my own comment, a short story;

Around 10 years ago my grandmother broke her back after she fell and couldn't get up despite surgery and futher efforts (passed a year later) so we decided it was best we as family moved to her house as taking care of her alone would be too much for my mother. My room there was right next to her so about a year I played guitar only on headphone.

I guess cause of that, the meaning of warmth with distorted guitar changed for me. Like, it was eq related back then but cause headphones are so focused and sensitive I started preferring cleaner sounding picks. I remember using the HIO pick a lot those days as the curved edge causes the pick not to "scrape" the strings. Likely the picks I tend to like has a lot to do with this aside other aspects like feel etc.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 16 2021, 10:59 AM
Told me luthier about this and sent gab.s video. Said he's already a huge fan on the Andy James pick smile.gif but he also noted specially liking it for jazz music.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 15 2021, 10:29 PM) *

Thanks for the kind words and I must say we all know you especially went through this too often past years...

And yeah would be cool to see what you have in a single picture would be great, though visual still gives a chance for non-owners to compare size etc.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 16 2021, 11:41 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 16 2021, 04:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 16 2021, 06:59 AM) *
Told me luthier about this and sent gab.s video. Said he's already a huge fan on the Andy James pick smile.gif but he also noted specially liking it for jazz music.

Nice! Another vote for Andy's!

I'm curious to know if there is any difference between these ones...

https://www.jimdunlop.com/flow-gloss-pick-2-0mm/
https://www.jimdunlop.com/john-petrucci-flow-pick/
https://www.jimdunlop.com/andy-james-flow-jumbo-pick/

The first one is not available in Argentina, at least by now.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 16 2021, 09:51 PM
They all look pretty similar in design. I'm guessing they all will work quite well smile.gif they all check the shred pick boxes. The first one seems to have a bit more gloss smile.gif I'd suggest any and all of these picks where available to help train the hand in improving speed and precision on picking technique smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 16 2021, 11:08 AM) *

Alwasy enjoy your posts. Keep it up!! Will make a bit pick pic wink.gif Yours is great!

Here is 0la trying out some of the picks we are talking about.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 16 2021, 05:59 AM) *

Thanks for the kind words and I must say we all know you especially went through this too often past years...

And yeah would be cool to see what you have in a single picture would be great, though visual still gives a chance for non-owners to compare size etc.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 16 2021, 10:37 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 17 2021, 12:01 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 16 2021, 08:51 PM) *

I also have primetone's rolleyes.gif

https://www.jimdunlop.com/products/guitar-picks/primetone/

I have the jazzIII and big triangle shaped one he's using in the video. Think black jazzIII but add acrylic to the material, looks and kind of feels like resin... so its brighter in tone but flows faster, has grip and their tips are also aged out of the box.

I carry one in my wallet and use them when at a friends house or guitar store, cause their control is amazing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tadas
Mar 20 2021, 03:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 16 2021, 05:08 PM) *

The only difference between Andy James and John Petrucci flow picks is the size. Andy James's is slightly larger. Same thickness though.

I used to play exclusively the small black Jazz 3 picks and anything larger felt very weird, but I got used to the JP flow pick in a few days. Now I'm mostly using the JTC1. Initially it had a much sharper tip than the JP flow but after a few weeks of playing I'd say they're almost exactly the same. JTC1's size is much closer to the small Jazz 3 so I found it more familiar, the only thing I don't like about it is its transparency. Picks are already easy to lose and they chose to make this one invisible. huh.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 9 2021, 03:18 AM
Meant to reply to this post long ago so I'm sorry for the lag.

I made an extensive post about choosing the right pick I hope fran puts it in the wiki. it's got answers to questions that keep coming up.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=61873

Here is my personal pick collection smile.gif They all meet the four critical criteria for anyone who wants to "shred". The MATHIAS GUITARS IMPALER is a great pick. Also the VPICK Switchblade. The usual suspects smile.gif I've been trying picks for 20 years and run through them all. I find the JAZZ to small in general but some folks love em. The IMPERIAL AGE "Crystal Spear" is an amazing pick but they run $20 each.
Attached Image

this is a cross section of a well designed pick for playing with precision.
Attached Image

The weapons are useless without the knowledge of how to use them of course. But that's why God gave the world GMC and Shred Bootcamp!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 9 2021, 07:01 AM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 9 2021, 09:11 AM
Nice! most of those look very high quality!

The middle row left (next to the metal ones) are they dunlop flows? if yes review please smile.gif I went out yesterday and though wanted to go to a guitar store that has lots of picks couldn't as the covid numbers are very high these days sad.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 9 2021, 02:18 AM) *
But that's why God gave the world GMC and Shred Bootcamp!

laugh.gif cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 9 2021, 10:57 AM
Yes those are the Dunlop Flows smile.gif And I bought another pack of the dunlop flow GLOSS just to compare them. So far, I like the flow variety pack, but I have not yet opened the GLOSS. They look nice as well. Looking forward to trying them!

Todd
\
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 9 2021, 04:11 AM) *
Nice! most of those look very high quality!

The middle row left (next to the metal ones) are they dunlop flows? if yes review please smile.gif I went out yesterday and though wanted to go to a guitar store that has lots of picks couldn't as the covid numbers are very high these days sad.gif

laugh.gif cool.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:36 PM