What's The Atmosphere In Your Woodshed?
Jim S.
Jun 26 2016, 08:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
I play in my basement and it's become apparent the need for a dehumidifier. My basement is not wet but it does not get very good ventilation or if you open the windows with a fan it brings in heat and humidity. So I have one running all the time. It shuts off when it hits a certain point so it not on constantly. Since its been taking buckets of water out of the area around it the basement feels more like upstairs and I'm pretty sure my guitars and equipment appreciate it. Th more inviting the room the more you'll want to stay.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 27 2016, 12:45 AM
GMC:er
Well said smile.gif Also, guitars don't like to be in a spot where it's too humid, or too dry, or too hot or too cold. Guitars behave best in the "Goldilocks" zone of temp/humidity just like we humans do. They start to behave badly and go out of tune and even warp, when things get to far one way or the other. They are probably more picky than we are about the overall temp/moisture. As a result, I try to keep min in an air conditioned space (about 70 degrees year round) which results in a HUGE electric bill since I live in Georgia where summers run in the upper 90's with humidity above 90 percent often.

So keeping the gear happy, and keeping me happy, the AC runs most of the year. I can cut if off in the winter, but rarely turn on the heat at all. Even in winter. Maybe for a few weeks if that. The heating system tends to dry the air and the guitars don't like it. They drift out of tune, the setup slips abit, etc. Especially on floating trem systems imho.

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jun 26 2016, 03:24 PM) *
I play in my basement and it's become apparent the need for a dehumidifier. My basement is not wet but it does not get very good ventilation or if you open the windows with a fan it brings in heat and humidity. So I have one running all the time. It shuts off when it hits a certain point so it not on constantly. Since its been taking buckets of water out of the area around it the basement feels more like upstairs and I'm pretty sure my guitars and equipment appreciate it. Th more inviting the room the more you'll want to stay.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 27 2016, 06:56 AM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 27 2016, 06:30 PM
Learning Roadie
The atmosphere in my woodshed is generally one of frustration! laugh.gif

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Jul 4 2016, 08:16 PM
GMC:er
My room is sort of a mixture between a gym, game-room, music studio, and living room. Usually it's very neutral to atmosphere, it kinda doesn't have it's own but allows anything that's playing through my speakers to have enough room to breathe by itself.

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
nikeman64
Jul 5 2016, 07:39 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
When we builded our house I was confident that I could install a nice studio in the basement but eventually didn't do that because of temperature and humidity problems. We didn't use insulation for the basement. In the winter,it's dry and cold. In the summer it's chilly and moist. We use a dehumidifyer but still it would cost a lot of money to make the area perfect for guitars so I installed my gear upstairs in a smaller room. I cannot make as much noise as in tha basement but it's better for my guitars and .... I have daylight smile.gif

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:34 PM