How Is This Amp Sound Achieved?
Ajmurrell
Oct 8 2008, 02:06 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hi guys,
A question I've been wanting to ask for a long time but hadn't an example on hand to aid in my explanation. Now I have two! So here goes...

I was wondering how this amp sound is achieved. The two examples below give a good idea of what I mean. I'm not talking about the intricate details and set-ups such as gain, treble, middle, bass etc... But the sort of "ducking under" effect that these two performances seem to have.

My gut instinct is that the amp's volume is naturally compressing the guitars sound, so power chords have this subtle softening and then picking runs have this effect of being "ducked under" and then releasing a little extra gain in volume after a short time, giving a very smooth and subtle swelling of the notes, which I really like smile.gif

Does this make sense?

Is it a product of pushing your tube's at high volume?

Here's the examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVW5PIFcczo - hughes and kettner switchblade head, the beggining of this video illustrates what I mean the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn1w1Mfc47Y - v-pick promotional video

Hope I've done a reasonable job of explaining myself smile.gif

EDIT: What the hell, check this out too... Nothing to do with my question, just an awesome demo of the switchblade!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJMOlKS6JVQ...feature=related

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ajmurrell: Oct 8 2008, 02:21 AM

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Noangels
Oct 8 2008, 11:58 AM
GMC:er
I am sure I saw the 1st clip some time ago when there were not too many clips of the blade on the net,but i have downloaded the last clip and he is playing on the ultra setting with boost mode engaged-thats like as the name sugests sticking a boost pedal on an already maxed out amp-he then changes to a clean setting later.
Playing that on a big heavy LP rather than a strat will give even thicker tone

The ultra setting when used with the boost gives a very creamy thick tone,and thats the setting I use when ever I have to do any lead breaks in the band

I love the blade as it feels realy organic,and its the perfect match to my other musical partner in crime who uses a Mesa Dual rec-those amps sound great when using the rectifier tubes and the voltage set to spongy-you realy hear the speakers working hard when cranked!

Here is what the blade sounds like in full on band mode with drums and bassBlade N Band

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 8 2008, 09:35 PM
Instructor
I can't really tell how he achieve that sound on the switchblade since I don't know how the amp works, but I think there is some delay there, and that he plays on the low volume, so amp is compressing because of that. I don't think it would compress that much if he pushed it hard. Also that 2x12 gives it that nice bottom end.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Oct 8 2008, 09:35 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Oct 8 2008, 09:52 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 8 2008, 09:35 PM) *
I can't really tell how he achieve that sound on the switchblade since I don't know how the amp works, but I think there is some delay there, and that he plays on the low volume, so amp is compressing because of that. I don't think it would compress that much if he pushed it hard. Also that 2x12 gives it that nice bottom end.

Ooooh that's interesting, so do you normally amp compression at low volumes on tube amps? It's not so much the settings that I'm wondering about, like delay or reverb. It's that volume swelling that it naturally achieves. Almost as if on single notes they get slightly pumped as the note rings, and with chords it stays quite compressed.

Guess I'll have to keep saving and wait for an auction to come up on ebay, which is quite rare I'm finding!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Noangels
Oct 8 2008, 10:50 PM
Do you have to be a staff member to get a reply here?I went out of my way to reply to you as I own a blade and have used one for some time now.At the level played in the youtube clips the amps powertubes wouldnt have been adding a lot of compression.Your just hearing the Blade with its Fx

This is the 1st time I have helped you and its the last sunshine:)I know you dont care,and I dont too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Oct 9 2008, 05:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
Well thanks for your help anyway smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 9 2008, 09:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Oct 8 2008, 10:52 PM) *
Ooooh that's interesting, so do you normally amp compression at low volumes on tube amps? It's not so much the settings that I'm wondering about, like delay or reverb. It's that volume swelling that it naturally achieves. Almost as if on single notes they get slightly pumped as the note rings, and with chords it stays quite compressed.

Not necessarily so, but amps do tend to compress the sound if you do not crank it up a bit, specially tube ones. On very low volumes, you get less dynamics, it's that simple.
THere's no natural volume swelling IMO, I think it has to do with the fact that the sound is not too good, like bad acoustics, and not so good micing of the cab, so the sound is not of a great quality so it varies here and there. Also his playing style impacts the tone a bit as well, so it is not all in the gear afteral.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Oct 14 2008, 01:53 AM
Learning Tone Master
I know I've PM'd you, but just wanted to say thanks again for your help smile.gif And my sincere apologies that it took so long to be said!

I got completly confused and read your most recent post as your first, which makes my reply to that seem even more rude. sad.gif

My fault entirely, an honest mistake I assure you.

Excellent playing as well, I most definetly can't wait to get my hands on this amp. Although I fear the current economic situation might be swaying people from making ebay listings!

Thanks, and sorry, again smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ajmurrell: Oct 14 2008, 02:00 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 14 2008, 10:59 AM
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Oct 14 2008, 01:53 AM) *
I know I've PM'd you, but just wanted to say thanks again for your help smile.gif And my sincere apologies that it took so long to be said!

I got completly confused and read your most recent post as your first, which makes my reply to that seem even more rude. sad.gif

My fault entirely, an honest mistake I assure you.

Excellent playing as well, I most definetly can't wait to get my hands on this amp. Although I fear the current economic situation might be swaying people from making ebay listings!

Thanks, and sorry, again smile.gif

I've been picking up some bargains because of the economic situation. I bought a guitar the other day and saved £400 on the price it should have cost smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Oct 14 2008, 12:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 14 2008, 10:59 AM) *
I've been picking up some bargains because of the economic situation. I bought a guitar the other day and saved £400 on the price it should have cost smile.gif

Nice buy smile.gif unfortunately I had the chance to make a good buy just like you, the switchblade combo here in the UK in A1 condition went for £400... And I missed it sad.gif Gutted! Heh, nice purchase though!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Lewis
Oct 15 2008, 08:30 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Rotatting speaker sim possibly set to real low setting will give this sort of effect....maybe?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Oct 16 2008, 07:58 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Alex Lewis @ Oct 15 2008, 08:30 PM) *
Rotatting speaker sim possibly set to real low setting will give this sort of effect....maybe?

I'd love to try a rotating speaker, I know gilmour used it quite a bit in addition to his Hiwatt Cabs. Can't hear it though in my opinion, but my hearing is pretty bad! Plus its obviously tastefully mixed in and there's a lot going on in Floyd tracks.

Plus my deceased stereo laptop speakers don't really compliment any music at the moment! Need to start using my Cambridge stereo a bit more!

I never looked, but I wonder if there's a rotating speaker on the GT-8.. I know there's a stereo pan feature that I suppose could produce a similar effect. I'll have to have a look.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Oct 16 2008, 08:06 PM
QUOTE (Noangels @ Oct 8 2008, 11:58 AM) *
I am sure I saw the 1st clip some time ago when there were not too many clips of the blade on the net,but i have downloaded the last clip and he is playing on the ultra setting with boost mode engaged-thats like as the name sugests sticking a boost pedal on an already maxed out amp-he then changes to a clean setting later.
Playing that on a big heavy LP rather than a strat will give even thicker tone

The ultra setting when used with the boost gives a very creamy thick tone,and thats the setting I use when ever I have to do any lead breaks in the band

I love the blade as it feels realy organic,and its the perfect match to my other musical partner in crime who uses a Mesa Dual rec-those amps sound great when using the rectifier tubes and the voltage set to spongy-you realy hear the speakers working hard when cranked!

Here is what the blade sounds like in full on band mode with drums and bassBlade N Band

Thats some mighty good playing here. Why don't you go in instructor mode and make at least a student instructor lesson. Or better apply for an instructor position ?

+Quote Post
Noangels
Oct 16 2008, 08:22 PM
thanks for those kind words my friend,But i'm only here to borrow licks from the instructors and help out with gear advice(as I have so many amps and guitars,there is a good chance I can help!)
I wish I had the time to devote to teaching,but my time is devoted to my band.I even turned down working with a pro singer(Damion wilson from Threshold)as he didnt seem to want to hang out with my band and have a few beers(once your in a band there family)

I do know some cool cats who would fit in well here as intructors,and they might have the time to contribute-I will give them a gentle push in this direction

anyway thanks,but i'm just going to chill out here and have fun on the board while i'm winding down at home:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Oct 16 2008, 08:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Noangels @ Oct 16 2008, 08:22 PM) *
thanks for those kind words my friend,But i'm only here to borrow licks from the instructors and help out with gear advice(as I have so many amps and guitars,there is a good chance I can help!)
I wish I had the time to devote to teaching,but my time is devoted to my band.I even turned down working with a pro singer(Damion wilson from Threshold)as he didnt seem to want to hang out with my band and have a few beers(once your in a band there family)

I do know some cool cats who would fit in well here as intructors,and they might have the time to contribute-I will give them a gentle push in this direction

anyway thanks,but i'm just going to chill out here and have fun on the board while i'm winding down at home:)

No pressure intended smile.gif All here to learn and chill smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:01 AM