Opinion On Which Scales To Use To Solo Over?
ChocolateThunda
Apr 24 2015, 10:45 AM
GMC:er
Hi troops.

I have a chord progression which is in the key of D with two dominant chords. The chord progression is Emaj - G - F#Maj.

Now my theory isn't great, so I'm struggling with which scales to use over the solo. My initial thought was the F# Phrygian dominant scale, but then I realised that the Maj 3rd in F# is also the blues note in the E minor pentatonic scale. I don't actually have my guitar atm as I'm at work, but would this possibly fit? I don't see why not...

Also, arpeggios... How can I start thinking about those? I think my ear for notes is actually pretty good, but I suck with arpeggios.

Any input greatly appreciated! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 24 2015, 03:24 PM
Hard to tell with so little info. But I will say this ...

That progression is neither in the key of D nor does it contain any dominant chords.
Dom. chords are 7th chords, short for dom.7 (as in F#7).

As written it's just 3 major chords - E, G and F#. *Writing Emaj is the same thing as writing 'E'.

As you have it, I like E minor penta, E blues and even E dorian (E F# G A B C# D) or F# phryg (which is the same as E dorian) and the F# phryg/dom will work too.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 24 2015, 03:26 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 26 2015, 10:38 PM
GMC Founder
Are you sure the progression is really Emaj - G - F#Maj ?

This is three major in a row - and since you have notated them differently (although they are in deed the same type of chords) I suspect that is not what you intended to write?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChocolateThunda
Apr 28 2015, 10:06 AM
Cheers for the replies guys! tongue.gif

Yes, my knowledge of theory, it seems is indeed a bit rubbish then.

The chord progression is indeed three Major chords in a row. Emaj - Gmaj - F#Maj. 1 Bar Emaj, 1 bar Gmaj, 2 bars F#maj.

I know that breaks a bunch of rules and what not, but I think it sounds cool!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 28 2015, 10:46 AM
GMC Founder
Very cool progression indeed. I tried with the E minor scale and there sure are some clashes but I liked it. After all the progression is "clashy" by nature, since it does not stick to a key.

What do others think?

I threw in my quick backing in case anyone wants to have a go at it

Attached File(s)
Attached File  chocolatethunda.mp3 ( 1.11MB ) Number of downloads: 77
Attached File  chocolatethunda_bt.mp3 ( 4.78MB ) Number of downloads: 78

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 28 2015, 03:02 PM
It bends rules but doesn't really break them. It's basically most of what's called a 'turn-a-round' - a progression that 'gets back to E'. If there was an F major chord in there between the F# and the E it would be a really standard progression in a lot of jazz, R&B, blues and soul music, *especially if you made them all dom.7th chords.
E minor, E dorian, E minor penta, E blues all work pretty well.
Because it's relatively chromatic (chords moving by one fret and/or closely) and parallel (same shape/quality) you have a lot of leeway and options with how you can improvise over it.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 28 2015, 03:09 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:22 PM