2 Pages V  < 1 2  
How Have Your Musical Tastes Evolved Over The Years?
Fsgdjv
Dec 29 2007, 06:09 PM
GMC:er
Great topic! I'll try not to write to much.

0-5: When I was really young I mostly listened to a cd called "Örongodis" by Lars Ros, a swedish piano player. That was basically all music I enjoyed at that age.

6-9: I started getting into the Kingston Trio, I always listened to a tape that I got from my father when I was at home. At the same time, Backstreet Boys were the big thing in my school, so I listened to it. All the boys listened to backstreet boys, and in retrospective, I can't really understand how something like that could happen. I also liked a swedish artist called Nordman, folkish pop, it was better than the other things that were famous at the time, but still horrible. I remember that I stopped listening to him when I heard he had been in prison. laugh.gif

10-12: At this point, music was the last thing I cared about, I just listened to the radio sometimes, but I didn't *listen* to music, it was just there.

13: I started developing a taste for music, even if it was rap. Mostly decent rap at least like looptroop and similar stuff.

14: I hadn't listened to rap for very long when I first heard of Rage Against the Machine and System of a Down, so I started getting into rock music, and even some metal. I remember the first time a friend sent me a song by In Flames, at first I really didn't like the vocals, but then I loved it so much. Even though, I'm still proud of the fact that I always thought of Children of Bodom and Cradle of Filth, etc as pure garbage, something I still think. Later during this period, I tried to find as much metal as I could, always discussing it and sending songs back and forth with a friend on msn.

15: I kept listening to what I listened to earlier, but I discovered two of my favourite bands: Opeth and Isis. At first, I couldn't take Åkerfeldt's vocals (much darker growls than In Flames and other bands like that), but I learned to like it, and even love it.

16: This was the year I discovered black metal. Or well, when I was 14 a friend always sent me songs by dark funeral, but they were horrible, so I always thought it was crap. This year, I got into Burzum, Ulver, Mayhem, Immortal and some other bands. Other than the black metal, I discovered bloodbath and other death metal bands, but I tried to keep some diversity. I also started listening to Sigur Rós this year, something that's really far from black and death metal.

17-18: After having built a solid ground of musical taste the year before, I started just digging deeper into the musical genres that I like, and learning more about progressive rock and post rock. For example, I got into Explosions in the Sky, Red Sparrowes, Pelican and lots of other post rock bands. But mostly, I'm developing my metal taste, and discovering new bands.

18-??: I think I'm just continuing to explore music, digging deeper into the genres I'm into, but I'm also trying to get more open minded. I've started enjoying more acoustic music and even some fusion Jazz (ok, just McLaughlin, but everything he's touched is awesome!). And today, I would say that my favourite bands are Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Ulver, Agalloch, Katatonia, Isis, Explosions in the Sky, Bloodbath, Cult of Luna and Sigur Rós. And I'm definetly looking forward to discovering more bands and more musical styles.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
superize
Dec 29 2007, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
At first i listened to almost everything besides rock and metal.

Then for like maybe 5 years ago a friend of mine came over to put some music on our new cumputer and i remember that he had like 2 songs by hammerfall. i started listening to Hammerfall all the time and they became my favorite band. Later i started looking new bands to listened to and then i found bands like Blind Guardian Iced earth etc... Time wentby and i found more and more bands to listened to and now i listen to all kinds of metal and one of my favorite genre is Melodic death metal(Bands like Arch Enemy, Mors Principium est and COB).

So i have gone from hating metal to love it.

And now metal is the only thng i want to listened to

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
ActiveX
Dec 29 2007, 08:36 PM
As a very young child, I listened to a lot of Johnny Cash, CCR, and the Eagles (thanks to my Dad). I was a teenager in the 80's and started getting into the "glam metal" of the day (Cinderella, Poison, Ratt, the 80's version of KISS, etc). Soon after I started to play the guitar, and I discovered other bands with great guitarists such as Dokken (George Lynch), GNR (Slash), Van Halen, White Lion (Vito Bratta), Exteme (Nuno Bettencourt), Judas Priest, and Def Leppard just to name a few. Then grunge came along...this was the kiss of death to many of my favorite bands. Other than Alice in Chains and Soundgarden, I never really got into this type of music; this was also the time that I stopped playing the guitar.
During the mid-90's I went through a phase where I wasn't digging the "rock" music that was popular, and I started listening to a lot of rap / hip-hop - Tupac, Notorious B.I.G., and Snoop Dogg to name a few. This phase only lasted a couple of years, but I still listen to some of my rap cd's. The next few years, I'm sad to say I really didn't listen to music much at all. I mean, I had music on the radio in my car, or on my mp3 player when I was working outside etc, but it was just for background music...I was hearing it, but I wasn't really LISTENING to it. Besides that, my personal life was so crazy during this time with working, going to school, having kids, starting a new career, and all the other "joys" of being an adult.
A few months ago, for some reason I had the urge to pick up my guitar, which had been pretty much dormant for over 15 years...and I have hardly put it down since. I have also really started to enjoy listening to music again. Another thing is, I thought you were supposed to get more mellow with age...Not Me! I've started listening to a lot of heavier music and metal right now; I wasn't really into the really heavy bands when I was younger, I just didn't like it back then. In a way, I'm kind of glad that I didn't, because it's all new music to me now. So right now I'm listening to a lot of old Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, and thanks to the very diverse group of GMC members, I'm discovering new music all the time...and LOVING it!

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Dec 29 2007, 09:55 PM
I listened to Green Day then Crazy Frog then to Metallica blink.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:01 PM