Re: The Codec Discussion In Instructor's Corner, An extension to that.
blindwillie
Apr 15 2008, 09:10 PM
GMC:er
If you don't mind me contributing to that thread. If you do mind me interfering like this, delete the thread and ban me for (2 days, which would seem like a) lifetime. tongue.gif

I would use XviD (or DivX as second) over all the other formats and tweak it for your preferred picture settings.
You can use XviD from the smallest movie to high quality MPEG4 stuff.

As I remember it, it's been a while since I looked into it:
XviD and DivX are "compatible" in the sense that they both try to comply to the same specs but both deviates a bit from them, they don't comply fully. I won't swear on a bible on this, but as I remember it.
And as someone mentioned already, the .avi-format is just a container.

XviD is open source and DivX is proprietary.
If you need to get into the pro stuff you have to pay for DivX while it's free with XviD.

Which is "better" is ofc debated by the more advanced users, but like everything else they both seems to have their advantages and weaknesses.

/edit: The free version of DivX (Pro I think) installed Gator, an adware/spyware prog. I'd guess they don't do that anymore. Haven't touched DivX since that.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by blindwillie: Apr 15 2008, 09:25 PM

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 15 2008, 11:34 PM
Instructor
XviD is the best in my opinion too.
Not sure about the technical specs of it, but i think it handles compression of cam-recordings better. Might be my imagination though smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:12 AM