2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Wrist Pain, Bad technique, or too much practice?
radarlove1984
Mar 27 2007, 02:32 AM
GMC:er
For the last few weeks, my left (fretting) hand wrist has been really sore. I still don't know exactly what triggers the pain, but lately it comes when I play 3nps runs or bend strings.

The up and down motion doesn't bother me, but the side to side wrist movement is painful. This has never bothered me before, and as far as I know, I'm using the correct technique.

Is it possible to practice too much each day? I've been playing between 5-8 hours a day, for about 3 months now. Should I take a week off?

I know this has been asked a lot, but could someone restate the left hand technique again, or point me in the direction of a topic/lesson related to this? My technique looks fine to me, but maybe I'm missing something obvious that I just haven't noticed yet.

Or maybe I'm just playing too much?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Mar 27 2007, 07:49 AM
No, that's not to much practice . But if you take some rests in between (I talk about minutes) a day.
You don't have to take a week off... smile.gif
I've almost practiced a year with everyday 4-7 hours.
What is also good: When you take a rest think about other aspects you can train, like transcribing.
(Check the topic!)
or composing, or ear training.

Well you know, there's lots of things to do smile.gif XD

o, the speed picking lesson by Pavel shows enough aabout the technigue I think.
and Kris has a lesson too I thought.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ezravdb: Mar 27 2007, 07:50 AM

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 27 2007, 08:18 AM
GMC Founder
Yes 5-8 hours can be too much - it completely depends on how/what you practice and pauses etc. Also if this kind of routine is new to you it might be very hard on your hands.

Folks - YOU HAVE ONLY GOT TWO HANDS!! If your body sends out signals that something might be wrong, always take it seriously.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jeff
Mar 27 2007, 08:26 PM
Kris is right on about this. Take one week off as you have suggested. That's a good idea. Believe it or not, it won't hurt you wink.gif . In fact, you may find that you can play better when you return. I have done this several times and it works great. You need a break.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Mar 27 2007, 08:34 PM
Instructor
I would not suggest you a week off. Just play simple excercise like 2 hours every day for a week. Just to get more relaxed. Play some simple pentatonic stuff or some clean strumming and stuff like that. You'll still be practicing but it will make you much more relaxed - later you'll be able to get to serious practice sessions like before.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Bitey
Mar 27 2007, 08:35 PM
QUOTE (jeff @ Mar 27 2007, 02:26 PM) *
Kris is right on about this. Take one week off as you have suggested. That's a good idea. Believe it or not, it won't hurt you wink.gif . In fact, you may find that you can play better when you return. I have done this several times and it works great. You need a break.

Same here I got more fast and got more control when I took a break and let my hand rest.

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 27 2007, 08:53 PM
Warm up and take breaks smile.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 27 2007, 09:17 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I had the same thing, almost needed surgery to, i didnt play for 3 days (thats when the pain finnaly went away) and after that, i stretch the muscles before i play, and if it starts hurting to bad, i stop for about an hour or so or untill i feel better.

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Mar 27 2007, 10:53 PM
Wow, judging from how many people replied saying "Take Some Time Off!" in less than a day, I guess this could have potentially gotten a lot worse if I ignored it. Thanks for knocking some sense back into me.

I'm going to play it safe for the next few days and mostly work on ear training, theory, and finger picking. I double checked the speedpicking videos and at least I'm using the correct technique.

Now that I think about it, I have been going a little crazy with the practice. 3 months ago I couldn't play a major scale twice in a row without making a mistake. Now, I can accurately "speed" pick triplets at 120bpm for 10 minutes without making a mistake or breaking the tempo. Not impressive, but considering that I started as an absolute beginner, it's no wonder my wrist is sore.

And I just realized that each month of practice got considerable harder since I was making progress.

I always warm up before I start, but I'll definitely take more breaks in between metronome practice. Thanks for the advice.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 27 2007, 10:55 PM
GMC Founder
I think it's important to realise that it is possible with simple - harmless practcing to chronically injure your hands/arms. This happened to me and I couldn't play for six months, I do know people who never could return.
Had I not continued practicing when feeling pain this would most certainly never have happened.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 28 2007, 12:45 AM
6 months!?!

Damn, the most i ever went without playing due to injury was a week and a half, i couldnt imagine half a year!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 28 2007, 08:58 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Mar 28 2007, 01:45 AM) *
6 months!?!

Damn, the most i ever went without playing due to injury was a week and a half, i couldnt imagine half a year!

Yes my injury was quite serious - and I probably wouldn't have healed if it wouldn't have been for the professional help I got. Had I been a little more vigilant on the warning signals I would have saved lots of practicing time, money and trauma - but hell I got the experience which is always worth something! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 28 2007, 02:43 PM
True True, and now you can pass the knowledge on to us, or maybe i should say, a warning biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Mar 28 2007, 06:41 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 28 2007, 12:58 AM) *
Yes my injury was quite serious - and I probably wouldn't have healed if it wouldn't have been for the professional help I got. Had I been a little more vigilant on the warning signals I would have saved lots of practicing time, money and trauma - but hell I got the experience which is always worth something! wink.gif

Thanks for sharing that story. Damn... it really puts how serious this stuff could be into perspective. Hopefully more people will read this.

+Quote Post
Ben C
Mar 28 2007, 10:20 PM
Someone should sticky this thread, so everyone can read about it.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
beebo
Mar 28 2007, 11:56 PM
You know this also happens w/ my wrist when I write in school it's annoying mad.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 29 2007, 09:34 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Ben C @ Mar 28 2007, 11:20 PM) *
Someone should sticky this thread, so everyone can read about it.

As soon as we have enough "valuable" threads we should sticky them on a new board... By the way - are we there yet? Do we have enough such threads - what do you guys think?

Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 29 2007, 03:53 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 29 2007, 04:34 AM) *
As soon as we have enough "valuable" threads we should sticky them on a new board... By the way - are we there yet? Do we have enough such threads - what do you guys think?

Kris

Lets start a list and see how many we get:

- The threads where people ask for specific solos to be made into lessons
- Maybe some sort of index thread to all of the guitarists that Instrumental has threads on?
- Don't practice until you need surgery smile.gif
- Can I get to the riff of the day after it has gone

I'm sure we can think of more.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 29 2007, 11:16 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 29 2007, 10:53 AM) *

See ??

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...ost&p=25539

smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 30 2007, 09:10 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 29 2007, 04:53 PM) *

- The threads where people ask for specific solos to be made into lessons
- Maybe some sort of index thread to all of the guitarists that Instrumental has threads on?
- Don't practice until you need surgery smile.gif

I'm sure we can think of more.

But can all these be considered as "valuable" threads?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:48 AM