The Emg 58 (no, Not The 85), One of the first EMG's
Mudbone
Feb 27 2011, 10:02 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
The EMG 58 is one of the first humbucker pickups created by EMG, it was their take on a hot version of a PAF. It was discontinued because it was a little noisy, but from what I understand it has been reintroduced. Supposedly it is like an 81 with a bigger low end and a tone that somewhat resembles a passive pickup. From listening to this demo it sounds killer, check it out wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
badfingers93
Feb 27 2011, 10:29 AM
GMC:er
Thanks for sharing biggrin.gif Just a question, does this model also have the "quick connect" plug that the recent models have? It sounds good in the video. Are they part of the "standard" series or the "select" series?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Feb 27 2011, 10:44 AM
QUOTE (badfingers93 @ Feb 27 2011, 04:29 AM) *
Thanks for sharing biggrin.gif Just a question, does this model also have the "quick connect" plug that the recent models have? It sounds good in the video. Are they part of the "standard" series or the "select" series?

All new active EMG's come equipped with the QuickConnect plugs. From what I know the "Select" series of EMG is the budget line of pickups. I don't think there is a "Select" version of it. There is however an X-Series version of it.

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 28 2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the post! I never met an EMG pickup I didn't like. The shear volume, the gain, the punch, the detail, just killer. It's really, really, hard to replicate what EMGs do with passive pickups. To each his own, of course, but for my money it's tough to beat active electronics and EMG tone. It's not for everyone, but It's certainly for me smile.gif

I added the "KERRY KING" EMG Set to my Les Paul shaped Minarik Lotus and the difference was staggering. The Kerry King set is a traditional 81/85 with the addition of a 20 Decibel booster flip switch. Without the booster, the pickups scream, with it, they border on Insane and have to be leashed back a bit. Love em.

http://www.emginc.com/products/index/183/148/1

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 28 2011, 08:57 PM

+Quote Post
badfingers93
Mar 1 2011, 04:47 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 28 2011, 07:53 PM) *
Thanks for the post! I never met an EMG pickup I didn't like. The shear volume, the gain, the punch, the detail, just killer. It's really, really, hard to replicate what EMGs do with passive pickups. To each his own, of course, but for my money it's tough to beat active electronics and EMG tone. It's not for everyone, but It's certainly for me smile.gif

I added the "KERRY KING" EMG Set to my Les Paul shaped Minarik Lotus and the difference was staggering. The Kerry King set is a traditional 81/85 with the addition of a 20 Decibel booster flip switch. Without the booster, the pickups scream, with it, they border on Insane and have to be leashed back a bit. Love em.

http://www.emginc.com/products/index/183/148/1

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Todd

Thanks for sharing todd! Just wondering, how long does your emg's last?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 2 2011, 08:25 PM
Instructor
It could be a good sounding pickup, depending on the guitar and the amp.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 3 2011, 01:59 AM
Do you mean how long does the battery last? Well, that depends on how many hours a day you have it plugged in. Generally, I change the battery about once a month.

Todd

QUOTE (badfingers93 @ Mar 1 2011, 10:47 AM) *
Thanks for sharing todd! Just wondering, how long does your emg's last?

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Mar 3 2011, 03:55 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 2 2011, 07:59 PM) *
Do you mean how long does the battery last? Well, that depends on how many hours a day you have it plugged in. Generally, I change the battery about once a month.

Todd

If you unplug the guitar after you're done using it the battery will last much longer than one month. According to the EMG website, you can play your guitar 8 hours a day for a whole year before you have to change the battery.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 6 2011, 07:42 AM
Mudbone has a great point here. You don't have to change the battery every month. I usually do just out of routine. I sometimes do leave the guitar plugged in, so that will drain it quicker.

Todd

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Mar 2 2011, 09:55 PM) *
If you unplug the guitar after you're done using it the battery will last much longer than one month. According to the EMG website, you can play your guitar 8 hours a day for a whole year before you have to change the battery.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:43 PM