Picking Advice
cistec
Apr 30 2007, 12:33 PM
GMC:er
Can anybody advise me on a technique on picking individual strings...Most say rest your little finger on the body for balance others say different things...When I look at other people playing sometimes they rest the pinky and sometimes they dont on simular riffs. I have a small little pinky so I am at a disadvantage. But I can see the benefits of such methods..it looks hard but i am sure its worth it..any body like to comment? I am a beginner

Cistec

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 30 2007, 02:24 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (cistec @ Apr 30 2007, 07:33 AM) *
Can anybody advise me on a technique on picking individual strings...Most say rest your little finger on the body for balance others say different things...When I look at other people playing sometimes they rest the pinky and sometimes they dont on simular riffs. I have a small little pinky so I am at a disadvantage. But I can see the benefits of such methods..it looks hard but i am sure its worth it..any body like to comment? I am a beginner

Cistec

This seems to be an area where there is no right and wrong - find out what is comfortable for you. The only really imprtant thing is that there is no tension in your arm and wrist, it is perfectly relaxed, so you can make fluid small movements of your wrist and move your arm up and down to get different strings. Other than that, find a way that is comfortable for you.

A lot of people pick with their hand in a fist (i do) - that is ok as long as it is a loose fist, not a tight one. Also, some techniques such as chicken picking need you to use your fingers and pick at the same time, so a fist won't work for that ! I tried the pinky on the guard for a while, it didn't add anything for me and I found it annoying so I stopped - you might find just the opposite, so try it a few ways until you settle on one you like.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
cistec
Apr 30 2007, 11:24 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 30 2007, 11:24 PM) *
This seems to be an area where there is no right and wrong - find out what is comfortable for you. The only really imprtant thing is that there is no tension in your arm and wrist, it is perfectly relaxed, so you can make fluid small movements of your wrist and move your arm up and down to get different strings. Other than that, find a way that is comfortable for you.

A lot of people pick with their hand in a fist (i do) - that is ok as long as it is a loose fist, not a tight one. Also, some techniques such as chicken picking need you to use your fingers and pick at the same time, so a fist won't work for that ! I tried the pinky on the guard for a while, it didn't add anything for me and I found it annoying so I stopped - you might find just the opposite, so try it a few ways until you settle on one you like.

Yep! that sounds fine for me! Becuse i have been doing it without the pinky resting on the pick guard while doing my scales and it seems fine, because going back and redoing all my previous work SUCKED! So it was nice to hear you say " Hey! what ever works for you buddy" But I would really like to know if anybody would like to add to this thread because I am at a stage where i can retrain my method ( beginner) How about a comment from Kris and Pavel I would really like to hear their view. Thanks Andrew for your view.

Cistec

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 30 2007, 11:40 PM
QUOTE (cistec @ Apr 30 2007, 05:24 PM) *
Yep! that sounds fine for me! Becuse i have been doing it without the pinky resting on the pick guard while doing my scales and it seems fine, because going back and redoing all my previous work SUCKED! So it was nice to hear you say " Hey! what ever works for you buddy" But I would really like to know if anybody would like to add to this thread because I am at a stage where i can retrain my method ( beginner) How about a comment from Kris and Pavel I would really like to hear their view. Thanks Andrew for your view.

Cistec

Objective view - It really is a matter of opinion. Whatever works for you.

Subjective view - What you're referring to is called "anchoring" your hand with your pinky. I can't speedpick like Pavel or Kris....but I have been playing fairly consistently for 15 years, and within the past few months I have retrained my hand NOT to anchor....and am playing better than I have in the past 15 years. IMHO anchoring with my pinky has a negative effect on the range and freedom of my picking hand. I think it was well worth the effort to retrain, and I recommend it...it should be a lot easier for you than it was for me, considering how long I had been anchoring. 2 cents USD. smile.gif

This post has been edited by wheeler: Apr 30 2007, 11:42 PM

+Quote Post
cistec
May 1 2007, 02:36 AM
QUOTE (wheeler @ May 1 2007, 08:40 AM) *
Objective view - It really is a matter of opinion. Whatever works for you.

Subjective view - What you're referring to is called "anchoring" your hand with your pinky. I can't speedpick like Pavel or Kris....but I have been playing fairly consistently for 15 years, and within the past few months I have retrained my hand NOT to anchor....and am playing better than I have in the past 15 years. IMHO anchoring with my pinky has a negative effect on the range and freedom of my picking hand. I think it was well worth the effort to retrain, and I recommend it...it should be a lot easier for you than it was for me, considering how long I had been anchoring. 2 cents USD. smile.gif

That just adds sugar on the cake my guitar friend...Now i can pick without guilt! The reason I asked the question in the first place was that a renowned Tutor ( No Name) who's book i purchased swore by it. It just goes to show that you reall have to source the right info or you could waste months even years doing the wrong thing for YOU! And thank you for adding to this topic Wheeler.

QUOTE (cistec @ May 1 2007, 11:31 AM) *
That just adds sugar on the cake my guitar friend...Now i can pick without guilt! The reason I asked the question in the first place was that a renowned Tutor ( No Name) who's book i purchased swore by it. It just goes to show that you reall have to source the right info or you could waste months even years doing the wrong thing for YOU! And thank you for adding to this topic Wheeler.

Also I would like to know how and when do you know you have mastered a scale, I know this sounds stupid but How? is it when you can play superfast? when you can go up a down or back and forth 10 times without error? is there a gauge so I can move on to the next scale..If this does not warrant a reply I apologise in advance.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 1 2007, 02:55 AM
QUOTE (cistec @ Apr 30 2007, 09:36 PM) *
Also I would like to know how and when do you know you have mastered a scale, I know this sounds stupid but How? is it when you can play superfast? when you can go up a down or back and forth 10 times without error? is there a gauge so I can move on to the next scale..If this does not warrant a reply I apologise in advance.

On the other hand ... Kris does use his pinky to anchor, and we all know how fast he can play, so I think you should just pick what works for you smile.gif

Now, regarding scales - the answer is ... never! You can always go back and practice a scale, to play it more quickly or fluidly and you should never stop practicing scales altogether ...

Ok, the less facetious answer would be along the lines of when you are sufficiently familiar with it to improvise in that box without worrying about what your fingers are doing. But, don't just practice one scale at once, add new scales to your repetoire when you can play the last scale up and down without mistakes for a reasonable amount of time.

Also, remember, its not just about the scales either - playing scales helps your coordination, alt picking, musical instincts and a host of other stuff.

That would be my advice - I would be interested to hear from any of the other instructors ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
cistec
May 1 2007, 03:07 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ May 1 2007, 11:55 AM) *
On the other hand ... Kris does use his pinky to anchor, and we all know how fast he can play, so I think you should just pick what works for you smile.gif

Now, regarding scales - the answer is ... never! You can always go back and practice a scale, to play it more quickly or fluidly and you should never stop practicing scales altogether ...

Ok, the less facetious answer would be along the lines of when you are sufficiently familiar with it to improvise in that box without worrying about what your fingers are doing. But, don't just practice one scale at once, add new scales to your repetoire when you can play the last scale up and down without mistakes for a reasonable amount of time.

Also, remember, its not just about the scales either - playing scales helps your coordination, alt picking, musical instincts and a host of other stuff.

That would be my advice - I would be interested to hear from any of the other instructors ...

Very intresting indeed! I dont have long fingers (pinky) like Kris or pavel to use as a anchor so it looks like i am going to have to rely on control..Hmmmmmmm is it possible to be quick with control? your view please.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 1 2007, 03:26 AM
QUOTE (cistec @ Apr 30 2007, 10:07 PM) *
Very intresting indeed! I dont have long fingers (pinky) like Kris or pavel to use as a anchor so it looks like i am going to have to rely on control..Hmmmmmmm is it possible to be quick with control? your view please.

Pavel doesn't anchor I don't think, and there aren't many faster smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:46 AM