3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
(possible) Newbie Need Some Answers
Asphyxia Feeling
Jul 13 2007, 01:31 PM
GMC:er
there are numerous inexpensive guitars, and i'm sure several people have already listed their person favorites... but as far as amps go.

Roland Micro Cube / bigger cube / Vox Valvetronix / Line 6 spider III amp one of those would be your best bet as far as a QUALITY starter amp goes.

the starter packages are great if you just want everything quickly... however. the accesories that come with the packs (cords, tuner, strap, etc) often have poor quality, forcing you to spend more money buying better stuff after you improve a bit. starter amps are, in my opinion, also very limited in the tones they can produce. with a modeling amp (ones i listed) you can get pretty good sounds, varying distortion and clean tones, probably more like whatever song you like hearing etc. all of those amps are priced between 100 and 200 USD.

you picked an awesome website, i'm sure you won't regret it. even after one or two lessons, you will FEEL the improvment. 99 percent of my teaching has been from this website, or http://www.ultimate-guitar.com (a good source for guitar TABS, basically extremely easy to read sheet music for thosands of songs)

hope this helps. good luck!

-update-

i wrote a bunch more stuff after reading your first reply... but it didn't save for some reason mad.gif VERY IRRITATED; i hate when that happens.

in short.

if you're really thinking of the Ibanez starter, go for it! my friend has one of those... the guitar is quite good for the price, and while the amp is pretty lackluster, i'm sure it will get you through fine. the only thing really lacking in it is decent hi gain tone (distortion). the same thing is the case for most cheaper amps. this is easily fixed a distortion pedal (the BOSS DS-1, for example is 40 USD, and is used by several famous guitarists), or by buying a better amp.

a good AMP is more important then a good GUITAR. as long as the guitar is ok (stays in tune alright, pickups work, etc) i'd say invest in a better amp first. i've seen people use stuff like the "squier affinity" strat (which isn't THAT bad, more a matter of wanting single coils over humbuckers) on a good amp and make amazing sounds.

after you get your guitar, don't be afraid to ask any questions you have in the forum! i (or any other member) will be happy to help you, even with the silliest of questions! even if you don't know how to tune your guitar! GMC has a wonderful community, which is pretty rare in internet forums. (Ultimate-guitar's community, half good, half MEAN)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Asphyxia Feeling: Jul 13 2007, 01:34 PM

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kirua
Jul 14 2007, 05:37 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 13 2007, 01:57 PM) *
If you can't order from US can you order from Germany? I don't know what proces you have in Czech Republic you can always comare here

Yeah I checked the musicstore earlier (I used them a while back for some cables and midi device) and it seems that the prices for guitars there are not that cool = it's cheaper without shipping cost, but with it (in my case 20€) it's more expensive than here. So I think it would be just waste of money (since the product itself is quite cheap).

QUOTE (Asphyxia Feeling @ Jul 13 2007, 02:31 PM) *
<snip>

if you're really thinking of the Ibanez starter, go for it! my friend has one of those... the guitar is quite good for the price, and while the amp is pretty lackluster, i'm sure it will get you through fine. the only thing really lacking in it is decent hi gain tone (distortion). the same thing is the case for most cheaper amps. this is easily fixed a distortion pedal (the BOSS DS-1, for example is 40 USD, and is used by several famous guitarists), or by buying a better amp.

<snip>

This was really helpful, thanks.
I was digging deeper on some information on that Ibanez starter kit that is available here and I must say that I was quite dissapointed when I found out that the guitar in that kit is not a GRX 40 but something else and on top of that I couldn't even find any info about it at all. There is a forum at the shop's webpage where users are talking about this kit and it looks like that it would be a really big mistake to buy it as there isn't a single user that would say anything nice about it.

So with that in mind I picked up different guitars and started looking for something that should meet my requirements. I had to increase my "budget" a little (~$370) but right now I am seriously thinking about SQUIER BY FENDER Affinity Fat Strat HSS (I found out that 2x single and 1x humbucker would be best for me; and btw. anyone knows what kind of strings it comes with? -- so I can buy a backup strings for it?) with FENDER Frontman F15G. I am still looking around if I can push the price down, but this is a serious candidate for me now.

btw. I wish it would be just $40 for BOSS DS-1. The cheapest I found here is getting for $70 and on musicstore.de it's for 54€. Add 20€ because of the shipping cost and you are around $98 (I did a conversion from EURO to CZK to USD as it fits the real price (=what I would pay for it) the best).

And if anyone is curious, I checked info about customs duty and stuff around it. They basicly put 19% tax + 3% customs duty on the package and even the shipping cost is included in this formula (with one exception and that's that it would have to be send through regular mail = no USPS and similiar companies).

I'll post here what my final decision will be. Thanks everyone for your wonderful help and of course, more input is always welcome smile.gif

-kirua

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ClifordACDC
Jul 14 2007, 06:22 AM
I think squire and fender come with 9- 42 guage srings on them

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/cliffordacdc

my gear: epiphone sg special, Marshall mg100dfx, digitech df-7 distortion factory

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
Jul 14 2007, 12:04 PM
yea, pretty sure it comes with 9-42). you can really use any string type... most people like lighter gauges (like the 9-42) for the sake of their uncallused (spelled wrong, i know) fingers.

funny you should talk about the HSS set, i just played one of those at friends house today! laugh.gif (it was really the Target ((big store chain in the US)) squier set, called "starcaster" but it was HSS and the amp was a fender frontman)

they've had it sitting around for like a year, and i was bored so i picked it up to mess around.

cleans sounded good, especially on the neck single coil. distortion sounded pretty dirty/trebley, but it's not bad. i'm sure it will get you by until you're ready to buy a new amp.

that's a shame about all the tariffs / taxes on imported goods. maybe you'll get to visit the US / UK / ? one day and buy some cool stuff for a cheaper price cool.gif

This post has been edited by Asphyxia Feeling: Jul 14 2007, 12:05 PM

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post
kirua
Jul 17 2007, 09:14 PM
So just to give this thread some happy-end (hopefully smile.gif ).
I bought all the stuff today, I am practicing first lesson in beginners group (power chords) right now and man it's hard biggrin.gif At first I was quiet worried if I ever will be able to put the fingers in the right position but now I can find the positions quite easily smile.gif

See you all around and thank you all for your wonderful help!

-kirua

This post has been edited by kirua: Jul 17 2007, 09:15 PM

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jul 17 2007, 09:19 PM
QUOTE (kirua @ Jul 17 2007, 02:14 PM) *
So just to give this thread some happy-end (hopefully smile.gif ).
I bought all the stuff today, I am practicing first lesson in beginners group (power chords) right now and man it's hard biggrin.gif At first I was quiet worried if I ever will be able to put the fingers in the right position but now I can find the positions quite easily smile.gif

See you all around and thank you all for your wonderful help!

-kirua

laugh.gif , thats good man, keep practicing and most important: have fun while doing it!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:01 PM