A Suggestion For The Forum
Evan
Jul 13 2007, 02:05 AM
GMC:er
I think it would be a good idea on the 'Gear Talk' section forum to create a subsection for tech articles that get marked as sticky -this way we could have answers to common questions available to everyone all the time and hopefully cut back on the same questions getting asked again and again. Examples of what we could put there could include answers to common questions and "how to's" such as how to restring a floyd rose how to swap a pickup etc., answers to more specific or unusual questions as they are asked, and advice articles where MickeM and the other techs of the forum give helpful advice and insight for common questions such as selecting a guitar or amp.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 13 2007, 02:49 AM
Great idea. I think these kinds of threads are quite common on forums.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 13 2007, 10:16 AM
GMC Founder
Absolutely we should have this! smile.gif

As a preparation - how many relevant such threads can you think of?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 13 2007, 01:07 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 13 2007, 11:16 AM) *
Absolutely we should have this! smile.gif

As a preparation - how many relevant such threads can you think of?

This is a good thread I think, great input from Evan
Changing pickups

Maybe this thead too?
Floyd Rose

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jul 13 2007, 01:20 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 13 2007, 01:49 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Cool ideas here - Kris asked me to pick this up, so here are my initial thoughts:

The type of article we need are mostly the ones that are spontaneously posted as replies to questions from beginners. We have some awesome posts that were generated by a casual enquiry on one of the boards.

Rather than create a subforum and expect people to post articles just because, I think it would be best to have a sticky thread with links to all the great how to articles that we build up over time, and maybe we can populate now with past great posts (MickeM has spotted a few already, lets all go back and look for some more).

I'll start a sticky thread in the Gear forum, people can post their links, and I'll edit each new link into the first post so it is like an index.

Ultimately, we should probably move all of this info into the Wiki, but for now I think this will work.

So, do people agree with this strategy? Lets get searching for links!

My first is this one on tuning guitars : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=5233

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 13 2007, 01:51 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 13 2007, 01:55 PM
One on Adjusting Intonation perhaps?

tongue.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Evan
Jul 13 2007, 06:22 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 13 2007, 08:49 AM) *
Cool ideas here - Kris asked me to pick this up, so here are my initial thoughts:

The type of article we need are mostly the ones that are spontaneously posted as replies to questions from beginners. We have some awesome posts that were generated by a casual enquiry on one of the boards.

Rather than create a subforum and expect people to post articles just because, I think it would be best to have a sticky thread with links to all the great how to articles that we build up over time, and maybe we can populate now with past great posts (MickeM has spotted a few already, lets all go back and look for some more).

I'll start a sticky thread in the Gear forum, people can post their links, and I'll edit each new link into the first post so it is like an index.

Ultimately, we should probably move all of this info into the Wiki, but for now I think this will work.

-Yes I think this is fine. That format is good because we can start out with all of the existing posts that were good ones -and if for some reason someone wants to write an article 'just because' they could still do that. -Plus, it includes management by the admins which puts an inherent quality control system in place. Wikis can be great, and this would be a great way to gather information and do preparation for high quality articles.

QUOTE (Owen @ Jul 13 2007, 08:55 AM) *
One on Adjusting Intonation perhaps?

tongue.gif

-Sure I'll do a write-up if you'd like. What kind of bridge is on the guitar you want to intonate? Floyd Rose/Edge or copy, Kahler, Strat, Tele, tune-o-matic or other? It's not hard or complicated to do at all really, just a tedious job.

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 13 2007, 06:30 PM
I already know how, I'm just saying it would be a good idea.

For reference however, I have a tele/strat bridge.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 13 2007, 06:43 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Evan @ Jul 13 2007, 07:22 PM) *
-Sure I'll do a write-up if you'd like. What kind of bridge is on the guitar you want to intonate? Floyd Rose/Edge or copy, Kahler, Strat, Tele, tune-o-matic or other? It's not hard or complicated to do at all really, just a tedious job.

Maybe this is asking for too much but if you could describe the most common ones that would be so great for a sticky, and the wiki. I'm sure lots of people would appreciate it smile.gif Not to mention benefit from it.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jul 13 2007, 06:44 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 14 2007, 11:34 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 13 2007, 01:43 PM) *
Maybe this is asking for too much but if you could describe the most common ones that would be so great for a sticky, and the wiki. I'm sure lots of people would appreciate it smile.gif Not to mention benefit from it.

Ok, guys, I'm going to create a sticky in the gear talk section - thanks for ytour input, and all contributions/article links very welcome!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:00 AM