Vintage Fillmore Vs Hendrix Fender
bleez
Aug 30 2016, 06:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Anyone got opinions on the vintage fillmore guitar from Trev Wilkinson might compare to fenders hendrix strat?

the fillmore is American Alder body and wilkinson hardware, I think it has a 7.25 radius opposed to Fenders 9.5 and it has a rosewood neck, which personally I like.
Quite a hefty difference in price but from what Ive read the Vintage brand seems to get pretty good reviews overall.

Sounds fantastic here - but tbf the dude has changed the pickups and plays really well smile.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnR08nA_iXU

a more raw demo (allbeit much longer )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_CNsPM3zHQ

Can you really make a guitar to the level of a decent modern Mexican fender at this kind of £250 - £300 pricepoint?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 30 2016, 09:03 PM
GMC:er
Never played that brand. They're priced similar to the better squier models and thats not an easy challenge, I've seen some pretty old lowest model squiers that didn't have serious issue's so I wouldn't risk it if I had to buy online.

The Wilkinson name does help trust but do they also make afforable guitar hardware aside the quality stuff like floydrose?

Me and my friend modified a dean strat type guitar with new electronics sometime ago, nailed the overall sound (no regrets as the mod.s were almost as much as the guitar smile.gif ) and although was fun to play still felt like a dean when touched smile.gif feel thing can be relative but the sustain isn't the best...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 31 2016, 04:05 AM
No idea about Mexican Fenders in the UK but here in the States a Mex Fender is about $500.00 (£381.00) when you find them on special. Sometimes less. A used one in good condition is $300.00

Honestly I didn't hear anything particularly unique (good or bad) in either of those demos. I think anything Stratish with halfway decent pickups into a halfway decent tube amp (or good modeler) is gonna sound exactly the same. It sounded like a Strat.

*My big caveat is ... if you buy an actual Fender (USA, Mex, Japan) you will always be able to recoup your investment and maybe even make a profit if you keep it long enough.

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 31 2016, 08:37 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 30 2016, 09:03 PM) *
Never played that brand. They're priced similar to the better squier models and thats not an easy challenge, I've seen some pretty old lowest model squiers that didn't have serious issue's so I wouldn't risk it if I had to buy online.

The Wilkinson name does help trust but do they also make afforable guitar hardware aside the quality stuff like floydrose?

Me and my friend modified a dean strat type guitar with new electronics sometime ago, nailed the overall sound (no regrets as the mod.s were almost as much as the guitar smile.gif ) and although was fun to play still felt like a dean when touched smile.gif feel thing can be relative but the sustain isn't the best...

you might well be right about the squier, it is probably comparable to one. They might even be made in China ( but that's based on very little info! might be wrong) They also make really a interesting Peter Green tribute with the out of phase pickups. They nailed the sound from what Ive heard.
Interesting points with the Dean you modded. worth bearing in mind.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 31 2016, 04:05 AM) *
No idea about Mexican Fenders in the UK but here in the States a Mex Fender is about $500.00 (£381.00) when you find them on special. Sometimes less. A used one in good condition is $300.00

Honestly I didn't hear anything particularly unique (good or bad) in either of those demos. I think anything Stratish with halfway decent pickups into a halfway decent tube amp (or good modeler) is gonna sound exactly the same. It sounded like a Strat.

*My big caveat is ... if you buy an actual Fender (USA, Mex, Japan) you will always be able to recoup your investment and maybe even make a profit if you keep it long enough.

thanks for the input. always good to hear your views on this stuff smile.gif fenders are a bit dearer over here. A standard new mex is about £500 of the Queens pounds for either strat or tele.
If you find one used ( from a shop ) then you can get the mex tele for maybe £350 and strats tend to be a little more.
you make a good point about the fender if youre keeping it a while. I think the hendrix fender might have just landed on my list of 'next guitar' to do battle with the 60's series tele ph34r.gif

Ive really come to love the sound of a strat. I do find them a bit weird to play probably because Ive played a LP for so long but I have a loan of a mates squier strat just now and Im getting more and more used to it. The pickups and selector are a bit dodgy but its quite nice to play. The fretwork is actually better on the squier than on my 70's tribute Gibson..... which is quite depressing!

This post has been edited by bleez: Aug 31 2016, 08:39 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 31 2016, 11:03 AM
Yeah they're made in china, there's a review somewhere in their website

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 31 2016, 04:37 PM
All the Vintage range are good value for money. I've played quite a few of them and there's not a whole heap of difference between them and a Mexi Strat. (IMHO of course!) All the ones I've either played or worked on have had a high level of build quality. If you get the chance to play them against each other you'll soon see what I mean!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 31 2016, 06:00 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Aug 31 2016, 04:37 PM) *
All the Vintage range are good value for money. I've played quite a few of them and there's not a whole heap of difference between them and a Mexi Strat. (IMHO of course!) All the ones I've either played or worked on have had a high level of build quality. If you get the chance to play them against each other you'll soon see what I mean!
biggrin.gif

Id love to try them. There's literally no place around here that has them dry.gif I am very tempted to take a chance on the Peter Green / Moore tribute for my next - next guitar though biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 1 2016, 03:24 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 31 2016, 06:00 PM) *
Id love to try them. There's literally no place around here that has them dry.gif I am very tempted to take a chance on the Peter Green / Moore tribute for my next - next guitar though biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, the 'Lemon Drop'!! Amazingly good guitar for the money, as is the Slash AFD tribute one too!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:07 PM