> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Modern Rock Ballad Licks, Lesson By Gabriel Leopardi
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
6 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Timmez
Nov 12 2020, 12:08 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Original lesson: Modern Rock Ballad Licks by Gabriel Leopardi

Here my take of this beautifull lesson. Thanks for all the feedback.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 12 2020, 03:36 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!

I've been following your progress on this take and I know that you are working hard. We've already talked about the parts that need more work here. There are licks like the one at 00:15, 00:28, 00:32, and more, that need specific practice. You need to take this parts as exercises and work on them.

The lick at 00:15, requires fast alternate picking technique. I recommend you to check the AP lessons from my Intensive Technique course here: ITC.

I play the fast pattern at 00:32, (which is repeated then) with hybrid picking technique. That's the easier way to play this part smooth. Check the slow videos and let me know if you need help with it.

Besides this, the lesson is full of slides and double stops that are very demanding. You definitely need to put more work on them. I think that it's a good idea to work on sections as it's divided in the slow parts. Take each part and work on it as a loop.

Finally, I know that it's soon yet, but you need to focus on groove. Notice how your right hand remains static when you are not picking the strings, and then see how I keep it moving up and down to get the groove feel. You can improve your timing and groove a lot by keeping moving your hand, head and/or foot up and down along with the backings groove.

Ok mate, this is a great lesson for you. Keep on the hard work!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 12 2020, 11:42 PM
GMC Founder
Nice one - in some parts your playing is very enjoyable here. With killer tone and nice touch!

The main problem here is that you have rushed things. You are not yet ready for the faster runs - and you should not practice them at this tempo or you risk consolidating bad habits.

Testing at higher speeds once in a while is fine to kinda gauge where you are aiming at. But the bulk of your practicing time must be spent at tempos where you are in total control - and where you have the time to think about controlling tension, syncing your hands, precise fretting etc

I won't be grading this take but I am very much looking forward to more of your playing and progress 👊

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 13 2020, 03:20 AM
GMC:er
First off let me say congratulations on taking on such a tough REC. It takes real stones to try to dive in to a lesson like this. Especially when it's going to push the edge of your ability. Also congrats on learning it front to back and making it all the way through the piece. All of these things are to be commended. I won't wast time repeating what's already been said in terms of critique. Suffice to say that your ambition may have outweighed your ability here by just a bit. Gabe has given you some great bits to work on for your next attempt. You may want to try a piece that's a bit less demanding in the meantime. This one is full of subtle elements that your ear may not be fully hearing yet. Not to worry, it will come. Be patient with yourself and your progress and you will be rewarded.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 30 2020, 11:14 AM
Instructor
Hey there!

Before going any further I think Gab deserves some appreciation for such a lovely lesson. It has so much musicality to it and is a great platform to work on your dynamics.

Your tone matches the expectations of this lesson. As for your playing I'm slightly confused with the judgment. I belive it's a good draft of the lesson - you got the essentialls and you managed to put al the piece together but the actuall work starts at this point, where you should sit and review all your take for differences between yours and original.

Gabriel is leading you through the details and you both did some great work allready. I don't want to double his feedback so I would say what is the most ciritical thing for me, listening from a third person perspective. That is your hand sync. It is an issue present through all the take. The faster the runs are, the more you tend to "loose". It is audible as a more of percussive tone rather than actual note. In practice it is right hand hitting the string before left hand made to apply pressure on the fret. It sounds like you made it to the fret in time, but didn't press hard enough at the moment of picking.

From any things to spot, this one gives the biggest impact on overall performance. Notice it is a complex issue and will take some time to get fixed. It is not a "one tip" thing to solve. Just keep up your great attitude and practise. I'm sure you'll work it out smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 10 2021, 04:31 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Almost there, 5.7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:00 AM