Im At A Critical Point In My Guitar "journey"
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Nov 2 2007, 04:35 AM
GMC:er
Well im at a point in my guitar journey where I need to start making choices. What kind of guitarist I want to be. Changing my practice routine to become more serious. And a bunch of other stuff. I think for the past 2 months of been slacking off. How do I know this ? Ive lost my ability to be able to play in front of people at my maximum potential . Some of my friends came over yesterday and I got all nervous and just started flat out sucking. I tensed up, turned flanger on and went into " Power Chord Zone" a zone I had stayed away from for so long.

I need to figure things out and start making some choices in order to become the guitarist that I want to be.
Anyone have any tips on the following mentioned above ? Thanks, J.M

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Nov 2 2007, 04:46 AM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Nov 1 2007, 08:35 PM) *
Well im at a point in my guitar journey where I need to start making choices. What kind of guitarist I want to be. Changing my practice routine to become more serious. And a bunch of other stuff. I think for the past 2 months of been slacking off. How do I know this ? Ive lost my ability to be able to play in front of people at my maximum potential . Some of my friends came over yesterday and I got all nervous and just started flat out sucking. I tensed up, turned flanger on and went into " Power Chord Zone" a zone I had stayed away from for so long.

I need to figure things out and start making some choices in order to become the guitarist that I want to be.
Anyone have any tips on the following mentioned above ? Thanks, J.M

I feel you, man. But I think you already know the answer you're seeking. You're really gonna have to look inward and ask yourself what kind of musician you want to grow into. Though, I do think too many people are focused on playing like the guitarists they look up to. I think a more important thing to do is to decide what styles you love listening to and would love to learn, and figure out how you're going to make them your own. Its important to note that the guitarists we love listening to didn't listen to anyone that sounded exactly like them. The took it their own direction, they didn't stand in one place.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Spiderusalem: Nov 2 2007, 04:47 AM

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 2 2007, 04:46 AM
Instructor
I believe the main point is to satisfied yourself,not somebody else.
If you're thinking of wrong things too much you get nervous and on and on...
Good thing is that you're aware of what is it you have to do.
Maybe it's changing practicing routine
but it also could be adding MORE practicing.
Anyhow,it's always one magic word...practicing. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 2 2007, 07:47 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
i agree strongly with muris here on this subject.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Nov 2 2007, 08:04 AM
Yeah I needed some time to reflect.....So I went to Grandmas house wub.gif

I thought about it and relized what I want and need to do.

1. I need to stop caring so much about what others think and just think of what it is that I desire and attack it.

2. I need a better practice routine and Im making one up as we speak.

3. I also need to spend more time on specific lessons here at Gmc, I often find my self "skipping around to much" Bad ! No More ! smile.gif

Any Recomendations of Balancing Practice Time of lets say 3 hours with Technique, Theory and Lessons ?

Thanks for all the good advice guys !

-J.M

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Nov 2 2007, 08:20 AM
My practice routine:

1 hour alternate picking- A few alt. picking lessons. I switch between these every 10 or 15 minutes.

1 hour sweeping- All of Pavel's lessons.

1 hour rythem- Mostly Pavel, Kai, and Gabe.

I try to get in a little bit more time than this, but its hard with work and school mad.gif

Practice exercises that you know will help you improve, but also learn at least have a couple of lessons or songs for fun, so that you don't just get locked into the same routine every day; and of course study scales and theory and learn how to improvise. Hope this helps.

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Nov 2 2007, 09:47 AM

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Nov 2 2007, 08:37 AM
I took Kris's advice on how to practice and kinda ran with it. I have sort of a regimen.

Monday:
1 hour sweep picking/alternate picking excercises, finger stretches
30 minutes Scale Review
30 minutes learning/reviewing lessons/solos
1 hour practing lessons/solos/improvising

Tuesday:
30 minute theory review / Sight reading review
30 minute chord progression/song review
1 hour rhythm exercise / singing and playing

Wednesday:
30 mintes sight reading
1 hour 30 minutes fingerstyle practice

Thursday:
30 minutes Scale Review

Friday:
30 chord progression/song review

Saturday:
30 minutes sight reading
30 mintute scale review
1 hour improvising/practicing/fingerstyle

Sunday:
2 hours writing/improvising/practicing songs

You can add about 30 minutes to an hour of reading over the forums and whatnot.

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 3 2007, 01:45 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
The one other thing I would add - up to you whether you formalise it as part of your practice routine or not though - is to actively listen to a broad section of music. By actively I mean concentrate and think about how the music sits together and why. Don't just listen to guitar orientated rock, listen to other types of music and instruments. If all you listen to is the same 3 power chords that is ultimately what you will play. No harm in that IF that's what you want and aspire to but there is a whole lot more to music then that.

If possible listen to some classical pieces with the actual score in front of you and look at how the conductor is interpreting the work. Listen to the improvised solos that different jazz players (sax, trumpet, piano as well as guitar) blow over the same standard song and consider what makes the solos different and distinctive. If you listen to Coltrane solo over Naima it's different to Davis who is in turn different to Scofield who again is different to Mike Stern and so on. Part of the reason why some players are particularly good is because they really did learn from their sources - not just memorising but learning and understanding how and why.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Robin
Nov 3 2007, 01:53 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Nov 3 2007, 01:45 AM) *
The one other thing I would add - up to you whether you formalise it as part of your practice routine or not though - is to actively listen to a broad section of music. By actively I mean concentrate and think about how the music sits together and why. Don't just listen to guitar orientated rock, listen to other types of music and instruments. If all you listen to is the same 3 power chords that is ultimately what you will play. No harm in that IF that's what you want and aspire to but there is a whole lot more to music then that.

If possible listen to some classical pieces with the actual score in front of you and look at how the conductor is interpreting the work. Listen to the improvised solos that different jazz players (sax, trumpet, piano as well as guitar) blow over the same standard song and consider what makes the solos different and distinctive. If you listen to Coltrane solo over Naima it's different to Davis who is in turn different to Scofield who again is different to Mike Stern and so on. Part of the reason why some players are particularly good is because they really did learn from their sources - not just memorising but learning and understanding how and why.

Cheers,
Tony

Yes, yes, yes! Listening to alot of different things is very important. VERY!

This post has been edited by Robin: Nov 3 2007, 01:55 AM

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Nov 3 2007, 04:40 AM
QUOTE (Robin @ Nov 2 2007, 04:53 PM) *
Yes, yes, yes! Listening to alot of different things is very important. VERY!

Yeah you know I couldnt thank you guys more.smile.gif Today in StudyHall I formulated a practice routine which I will probably modify a little bit. And I will be sure to expand my styles of music. Thanks to are variety of instructors I can now hear lots of different types of music. But I do believe that I now want to be a metal-shred-neoclassical-guitarist, yet I still want to take a litte bit from each style.

Man O' Man I <3 Gmc tongue.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Owen
Nov 3 2007, 05:00 AM
QUOTE (Spiderusalem @ Nov 2 2007, 07:37 AM) *
I took Kris's advice on how to practice and kinda ran with it. I have sort of a regimen.

Monday:
30 minutes Scale Review

Tuesday:
30 minute chord progression/song review

Wednesday:
30 mintes sight reading
1 hour 30 minutes fingerstyle practice

Thursday:
30 minutes Scale Review

Friday:
30 chord progression/song review

Saturday:
30 minutes sight reading
30 mintute scale review
1 hour improvising/practicing/fingerstyle

Sunday:
2 hours writing/improvising/practicing songs
You can add about 30 minutes to an hour of reading over the forums and whatnot.

I wish I had the organisational skills to make room for this kind of scheduling, unfortunately I dont, I kinda sit down and just play. cool.gif

But yeah, maintain a wide variety of influences, dont become to stuck in a genre - I have before and its kinda dull, a refresh of musical tastes once in a while helps keep inspiration up there! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Owen: Nov 3 2007, 05:01 AM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:49 AM