Latest Karate Grading
Ben Higgins
Dec 18 2011, 11:11 AM
Instructor
Hey Guys, I just wanted to share that I graded yesterday and ended up getting a double grade.. I was an 8th Kyu (red belt) and was going for 7th Kyu (yellow belt) but I also got asked to come back in and do some things that were 6th kyu (green) level and I ended up getting 6th Kyu !! I didn't plan for that at all so I was very surprised it ! biggrin.gif

Attached Image

I feel very honoured because I've only ever graded twice.. and both times I double graded - did 2 belts at a time.

If you wonder how it works, Kyu refers to all the 'colour' belts. You start as a white belt (10th Kyu) and you work you way down to 1st Kyu, which is brown belt and 2 white stripes. The next is black belt, which is 1st Dan. Dan means 'degree' or 'level' and refers to all the black belt grades. The Dan grade then goes up from 1st to 10th, being the highest. Most people who have 10th Dan next to their name were awarded the rank posthumously and there are few living people who hold that rank.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vaidya
Dec 18 2011, 02:25 PM
Learning Roadie
Congrats man! smile.gif
I used to take up Karate lessons as well.But we had a level restriction.You must remain at each belt for atleast 4 months,So double grades were out of the question.I followed the Isshinryu style.We had white,yellow,green,blue,purple1,purple2,brown 1,brown 2,brown 3 followed by black.I made the mistake of stopping before I got my black.All I had to do was go for the grading but other things came in the way.Its been 5 years since then.So dont make the same mistake I did tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Dec 18 2011, 02:30 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 18 2011, 10:11 AM) *
Hey Guys, I just wanted to share that I graded yesterday and ended up getting a double grade.. I was an 8th Kyu (red belt) and was going for 7th Kyu (yellow belt) but I also got asked to come back in and do some things that were 6th kyu (green) level and I ended up getting 6th Kyu !! I didn't plan for that at all so I was very surprised it ! biggrin.gif

Attached Image

I feel very honoured because I've only ever graded twice.. and both times I double graded - did 2 belts at a time.

If you wonder how it works, Kyu refers to all the 'colour' belts. You start as a white belt (10th Kyu) and you work you way down to 1st Kyu, which is brown belt and 2 white stripes. The next is black belt, which is 1st Dan. Dan means 'degree' or 'level' and refers to all the black belt grades. The Dan grade then goes up from 1st to 10th, being the highest. Most people who have 10th Dan next to their name were awarded the rank posthumously and there are few living people who hold that rank.

Nice! Keep it up, Ben!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 18 2011, 02:33 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Awesome! Congrats Ben, keep at it til you get black! cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 18 2011, 05:01 PM
Instructor
That's awesome mate!! Congrats! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 18 2011, 05:04 PM
GMC:er
Many congratulations Ben!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 18 2011, 05:54 PM
Instructor
Thanks very much guys... a lot of people see black belt as the end goal and they give up as soon as they reach it. It's actually only the very beginning, like passing your driving test.. smile.gif

QUOTE (Vaidya @ Dec 18 2011, 01:25 PM) *
Congrats man! smile.gif
I used to take up Karate lessons as well.But we had a level restriction.You must remain at each belt for atleast 4 months,So double grades were out of the question.I followed the Isshinryu style.We had white,yellow,green,blue,purple1,purple2,brown 1,brown 2,brown 3 followed by black.I made the mistake of stopping before I got my black.All I had to do was go for the grading but other things came in the way.Its been 5 years since then.So dont make the same mistake I did tongue.gif

Ah yes, I've heard of Isshinryu.. you could always take it back up again.. it's never too late. I'm quite a late starter with it and you're younger than me smile.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 18 2011, 06:19 PM
Instructor
Can I call you if I get into any sort problem? you could create like a GMC squad, for the fight against evil!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 18 2011, 08:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Dec 18 2011, 05:19 PM) *
Can I call you if I get into any sort problem? you could create like a GMC squad, for the fight against evil!

Well, it might take me a little while to get to Columbia so the trouble might be over by the time I get there..... wink.gif

But yeah, I like the idea of GMC Special Forces !! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Dec 18 2011, 11:09 PM
Instructor
Great news Ben,congrats !!! You know what...it would be really interesting to see how you doing some kata,..make a video!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 19 2011, 01:57 PM
Instructor
Awesome work Ben, congratulations! smile.gif You'll wear 1st Dan sooner then planned I guess! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Dec 19 2011, 01:57 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:33 AM